Serendipity, New York City

Outside the restaurant
    by risse73
    Frozen Hot Chocolate
    by DJ_Rolo
    Goat cheese blue chip nachos
    by londonlover
  • AliasGirl's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Don't Miss this Yummy Experience

by AliasGirl Written Aug 10, 2004

Of course, eveyone talks about the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate..because it's a must!

I just visited and it was delicious! (August 2004) The wait to get in may be long at times, especially Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings but its well worth it! Not only are the desserts delicious to the mouth and tummy but the decor is pretty to the eye as well.

It's a fun place for a girls-night -out, a family evening of chaos and even a great date night. Visitors are also very welcome.

Don't forget a stop at the store for a NYC Serendipity souvenir!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Not so Serendipitous for me!

by Dabs Updated Feb 23, 2005

I read so many good reviews of Serendipity and their famous Frrrozen Hot Chocolate that I wanted to make sure I tried this place. I didn't realize that they accepted reservations so I stopped by at 2 pm on a Monday thinking the wait wouldn't be so bad and after pushing my way through the throng of people both inside and outside, the host said there was a 1 1/2 hour wait! I asked him if there was any other time when the wait wouldn't be so bad and he said it was crowded from when they open to when they close.

I rewatched "Serendipity", the movie with Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack as fated lovers and I had to laugh at the scene shot inside the restaurant that showed all kinds of empty tables!

Well, I've never waited that long for any restaurant so I left still curious about that Frrrozen Hot Chocolate :-( But I sated my sweet tooth at a local bakery with a Napoleon, could the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate really be that much better???

You can buy the frrrozen hot chocolate mix at the store or online but that just wouldn't be the same to me.

• noemismith's Profile Photo

Serendipity: You don't have to wait!

by noemismith Written Jul 3, 2008

I've been to this restaurant several times, but never for regular food, only for desserts. I'm sure the regular food is good, but the wait is waaaay too long, even on a weekday, even when the weather is so horrible you can't imagine why anyone would wait on line. What I have (almost) always done is have a light dinner with a couple of friends, have a couple of drinks, arrive at Serendipity after midnight, and attack one of the desserts. Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone could eat there and still have room for the best part!
    Strawberry Fields is my absolute favorite. Frozen Hot Chocolate is great too, but for all the hype it gets, it's a little disappointing when you get it and it's basically a frozen choocolate slushie. If you're really into chocolate, they have another chocolate desert that comes with hot fudge and chocolate cake...amazing. This place is not to be missed!

Favorite Dish: I think it's called Strawberry Fields...a mountain of rich and creamy strawberry ice cream, layered with delicious cheesecake, fresh strawberries, and strawberry syrup. Topped off with fresh whipped cream. This is one of the best, most decadent deserts I have ever had in my life.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Famous New York Dining Spot

by risse73 Updated Mar 20, 2008

Outside the restaurant

Serendipity is a New York landmark. When in New York, you can't miss visiting this restaurant. It is over-rated and touristy, but it is famous because they have established themselves uniquely long ago when others have not thought about the "frozen hot chocolate" and other goodies. So, why not try it when you're in town to check it out yourself?

I received great service. My waiter was highly skilled, efficient and pleasant. I will definitely go back to Serendipity when the opportunity arises again.

I suggest to go there early (before the lunch/dinner peak periods) as this tiny place gets packed quickly.

Favorite Dish: The frozen hot chocolate, yummy sundaes, other mouth-watering desserts, and other good ol' American fare (e.g., chicket pot pie, etc.).

• Museum Visits
    • Theater Travel

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Have an Ice Cream Sundae at Serendipity restaruant

by beaniezotzim Written Sep 30, 2003

Serendipity NYC

Ah, Serendipity. This is the first place that my good friend took me to when I came out to visit her. We each ordered a coffee and shared a megs Sundae.. it was so tastey. I can't even remember what it was called, but it was big and yummy. you get to choose 3-4 ice cream flavors... oh my tummy grumbles just thinking about it.

• Dazzle88's Profile Photo

Serendipity: FROZZZZZEN HOT CHOCOLATE!!!

by Dazzle88 Written Sep 3, 2003

Serendipity is a MUST if your visiting Ny. The restauant is known for their HUGE desserts, but they serve other food as well. The place is full of fun decorations, and always at least an hour wait, so its best to make rservations!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dessert is the Strawberry Fields Sundae. Its a huge piece of cheesecake topped with ice cream, strawberry syrup, strawberries, and soo much more goodness.

• msison's Profile Photo

The Great World of Desserts...mmmmm!: Serendipity

by msison Updated Jul 24, 2003

Inside Serendipity

Remember the movie "One Fine Day" and "Serendipity"..yoiu ladies should know. Well, this place does really exist.

What a delectable array of desserts and I must say the portions are huge! I almost couldn't make it out of my seat!! hee hee Thank goodness I could walk to my hotel to digest all that I ate! The experience is wonderful.

It was quite a wait but worth it!

Favorite Dish: I have two favourites 1)there chocolate mouse 2)chocolate cake

• moirholj's Profile Photo

Serendipity: It was meant to be

by moirholj Updated Feb 1, 2004

Frozen Hot Chocolate, a must-have at Serendipity.

If you are the John Cusack fan that I am, then you are already familiar with this way cool eatery in NYC. The Serendipity Restaurant made history by being used as a location shot for the movie of the same name, Serendipity. I know the place was a hot spot before the movie came out, but now everyone knows about it so it can sometimes be difficult to even get in there. The wait is worth it though, so I certainly recommend going.

A word to the wise: If you are planning on going on a Friday or Saturday night be prepared for a wait of, at the very least, an hour or more. That's insane, right? But it will be fine if you do what I do, which is get there, put my name in, and have a few beers at this dive bar down the street. By the time you've had a few drinks it will be time to go back and ask if your name has been called.

Once you get in there you'll be happy you waited as you check out the funky, eclectic decor. Wild decorations give the whole place a Shabby Chic Cafe/Flea Market feel. Right up front by the hostess stand is a mini shop full of crazy little trinkets that have a total 'Serendipity' feel.

There are two floors for seating, but upstairs is where the scenes from the movie were filmed. My favorite seat is upstairs, a table right by the front window. That way you can look out on the street, and the people below that are waiting to get in.

This place isn't just all celebrity hype either. I think the food is great and rather reasonable for New York. The Seredipity staple however is a crazy dessert called the Frozen Hot Chocolate. And yes, it is both frozen and hot... don't ask me how they do it. This dessert is what Serendipity is known for and some people come here just to order dessert and nothing else.

Favorite Dish: Of course, the Frrrrrrozen Hot Chocolate! It's a must have at least on your first visit.

I've also ordered the Vegetarian Chilli which I really enjoyed.

Also on the menu could be a celebrity sighting, as many famous New Yorkers have been known to frequent this establishment - Keep you eyes Open!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Serendipity: This makes the crowds and the wait all worthwhile!

by londonlover Written Jun 5, 2005

Trina can't wait to dig in!

This is the main attraction and signature dessert here--the "Frrozen Hot Chocolate." (Yes, it's copyrighted that way!) It is also available as a Peanut Butter Frrozen Hot Chocolate, which is what everyone at my table chose. The base is a partially frozen hot chocolate blended with peanut butter, and in the middle of the gigantic parfair bowl is a huge dollop of sweetened, indulgent whipped cream. Top it all with chocolate shavings and let it drip over the edges, and you have a chocoholic's dream. It was truly amazing.

• Serendipity: Desserts are great

by mathewturk Written Jun 27, 2010

The food in this restaurant is little bit over priced but for desserts i find this is the best place in NYC.
    Dont miss this restaurant while vacationing in New york

Favorite Dish: GUINNESS WORLD RECORD
    Golden Opulence Sundae $1,000.00

• Serendipity: Serendipity? It wasn't.

by Cpav Written Feb 1, 2007

We visited Serendipity on the cold and snowy evening of January 28, 2007. We were in NYC for the Gift Show. Met with some NYC friends for a light supper and then headed over to Serendipity for a peek at the place and for their famous frozen hot chocolate. So after a 20 minute wait, the host put 5 of us at a very small bistro table that would have been impossible to have a drink much less a meal at. We waved him down when we saw a table in a corner that was free and much larger. We all placed our order and then were informed that ther was an $8 minimum. Luckily for 3 of us the frozen hot chocolate was $8.50. But the couple we were with only wanted to share an apple pie. No dice. The waiter rudely told us that they needed to order more and that they would make no money if curious people came in and just ordered drinks. I asked if a T-shirt would count toward the minimum and was informed it would not. So they ordered a drink with the pie. Needless to say the atmosphere and impression of the place was very deflated. We were served our order. The only thing that never came was the APPLE PIE!!! Plus, we could not find our waiter to tell him. The place is not THAT big. When we finally got his attention we informed him that the pie was never served and told him to forget it. His face turned bright red and he removed it from our bill. Needless to say I did NOT buy a T[shirt. After enjoying the movie Serendipity so much, I realize now, that it really was JUST a movie and that Serendipity was just a stage for it. How disappointing. Will not return to this place.

Favorite Dish: Frozen Hot Chocolate..... an ENORMOUS amount of frozen hot chocolate, with a huge dollop of the creamiest whipped cream ever topped with shaved chocolate and marshmallows!

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Serendipity: I Forgot How Good This Place Is

by ctorres1979 Written Nov 3, 2006

I just went to Serendipity last night and I finally found the perfect time to go to this place. Thursday night at 10pm., Maybe it won't always work but its a start.

I have been here a couple of other times and the frozen hot chocolate is definitely always worth the wait but its so much better to breeze right in. The service was so much nicer and faster than any other time I have been there too.

We also tried the chicken nachos, delish, and the hot springs wings, delish too but pretty spicy!

Favorite Dish: Come on now... You gotta have Frozen Hot Chocolate at least once in your life!.. MMM, and its topped with tons of whipped cream and shaved chocolate!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Serendipity: A tourist trap where it's worth being trapped!

by londonlover Updated Jun 5, 2005

It's a long wait, but worth it!

I planned my stop here in May 2005 with some hesitation. It seemed so heavily advertised and its website dropped celeb names so freely, I was afraid Serendipity was famous for the sake of being famous. How wrong I was! There was a reason the wait here around 4 PM on a Sunday (admittedly, a holiday weekend) was two hours...this place is fabulous!

Basically everyone famous has been here, apparently! Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2005, Serendipity was/is an admitted favorite of icons such as Jackie Kennedy, Andy Warhol, Grace Kelly, Oprah, Cher, and just about every other celebrity out there.

Favorite Dish: See my following tips. But it's all about the Frrozen Hot Chocolate...it's one of those "so good, you want to cry" sorts of delicacies.

However, the dinner menu has plenty of merit in its own right! I would advice a small main course if you intend to properly enjoy the giant desserts, though!

• Serendipity: Don't waste time and money!

by mkotzian Written Jun 25, 2007

I was recently in NY and decided to give Serendipity a try. It is one of those places you hear about that was great but I believe that was back in the day. Upon arriving I was told an hour and a half wait and this was at midnight. We were finally seated upstairs where the table was dirty and the roof above us was peeling off. It was all in all rather dirty. We saw the size of the desserts and had heard about the amazing hot chocolate so the three of us opted for hot chocolate all around as it was now 1:30 a.m. and the air conditioning was freezing. The waiter came and we tried to order but were told that there was a $8.50 minimum (the hot chocolate is $4.50) but all they were serving was desserts. We were appalled as the rude host or manager in our hour and a half wait never mentioned this nor were there signs posted. The only way you were told that was by a little note in the middle of the menu (very hard to see amongst all the design). We asked to speak to the manager and she came over and stated it was on the menu but we stated that it is late at night and you are only allowing us to order desserts. She condescendingly replied that this was the way it is and that if you did not like it you should leave. We explained how a sign needed to be put up but you could tell that was never going to happen. The fact is that they want you to wait anywhere from 1-3 hours and by the time you are seated down for desserts only you fin d this out and just order stuff that you may not eat since you waited so long. We noticed at another table they too had ordered hot chocolates and other desserts. The hot chocolate was gone but the massive sundaes were left untouched.
    Needless to say, we left and will never be going back. With a dirty environment, rude hostess and manager(never treated so bad and I am a paying customer), long waits and lack of information about the limit when it is desserts only I will never recommend this place to anyone.

• Jewelslover's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Mmmm Serendipity

by Jewelslover Written Sep 15, 2005

Mmm mmm good!

Must I say more??? This place was great! We had dinner and dessert at Serendipity. I had a scrumptious hamburger and fries, then split the Forbidden Broadway Sundae (pictured) for dessert. The sundae was mixture of chocolate cake with chocolate icing, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped cream. What more could you ask for???

The restaurant was cute, Tiffany lamps everywhere. It's the ultimate girly restaurant. The wait staff was friendly, our wait to be seated was short, it was an overall pleasant experience. Please note there is a $6.00 minimum per person at this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Forbidden Broadway Sundae!

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels