Shake Shack, New York City

by acebruin
    Waiting for Food
    by acebruin
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Good food. Great view.

by cjg1 Updated Oct 25, 2006

Cheese Fries and a Shack Stack.  October 23, 2006

I came here with a small group of VTers on the start of my VT/Best Burger tour of NYC. I ordered up the Shack Stack, which holds 3 patties between the bun with some lettuce and tomato mixed in. What a great mix of foods. This really hit the spot. It is quite large for a single burger and you have to really be hungry to eat it. So that said it will be rare I get this same burger next time. But I really liked it. We had great company in Yon, Vin, Martin, and Jude along with me all the while enjoying a wonderful view sitting outside in the middle of Madison Square Park.

Per the official website "A portion of your purchase will benefit the Madison Square Park Conservancy." I did not know this until I was writing my tip. You can go and read more about it on www.madisonsquarepark.org.

Hours fluctuate through out the year. As of now they are open from 11am to 9pm daily.

Favorite Dish: I coupled the Shack Stack with an order of cheese fries. Throw in a coke and it was a fun and sloppy (that’s a good thing) meal for only $12.50. And yes, I did order the most expensive and largest burger this time. Next I will try another.

I will definitely come back to this place for their burger.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Scenic Shakes & Burgers

by davequ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Shake Shack patrons

Everybody talks about this place, and it is in such a beautiful setting
    (Madison Square Park).

Everybody's right. Food is truely American, excellent shakes & burgers/fries I didn't get to try the custard this time, but it is also supposed to be amazing. Here from my fave Angela "strongbuzz" is the DAILY CUSTARD FLAVOR CALENDAR - (chocolate and vanilla are always available)

Then you grab a bench a little further in the park and enjoy some of the imo best views & vistas of NYC to be seen.
    Flatiron behind you, fountain in front of you, Empire State building peeking at you above the treeline. Topped off with excellent people-watching.

People were friendly too. Using taking pix & camera as an icebreaker, pretty soon you're hearing their life story & loving it.

Madison Square Park rocks and Shake Shack is the topper.Update 2008: according to Andrea Strong Strongbuzz - A press release from Danny Meyer informs us that Shake Shack will open its doors on Monday October 20th at 366 Columbus Avenue, on the northwest corner of 77th Street and Columbus Avenue. If trial runs go well, the Shack may even open earlier. Its hours will be seven days a week from 11 AM - 11 PM. The menu is basically the same, other than a selection of Concretes designed for the UWS like the Natural History Crunch-stillatio—vanilla custard, malt, caramel and Valrhona chocolate chunks crunchies ($6.75). Happy eating!
    Update 2010 - jaysus, there's 4 of 'em now in Manhattan, 1 @ Citifield in Queens,
    and even 1 in Miami Beach.
    Check the website for all the new locations, too many to mention here. (it's turning into In&Out, fa chrissakes)

Favorite Dish: A SHACKBURGER - (single w/ cheese, lettuce, tomato & "shack sauce" is $4.75, a Double $6.75; fries are $2.75)

As Vincent Vega from 'Pulp Fiction' would say:
    "That's a pretty fu**ing good milkshake. I don't know if it's worth $5.50 but it's pretty fu**ing good."

With a burger & fries you get out for about $14 bucks total, but when you throw in the park & view, it's a good deal.

• Maidstone_Nic's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Shake Shack Take Two

by Maidstone_Nic Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just done a bit of Googling and found this article on the second NYC Shake Shack which is due to open very soon (Oct. 2009) on the UWS: http://www.nysun.com/food-drink/danny-meyers-concrete-take-on-shake-shacks-latest/86468/ As it has indoor seating, I assume that it will be open all year round and it will sell the same mouth watering burgers!

Update
    It's now officially open - here's one of the first reviews: http://www.foodinmouth.com/restaurant-reviews/2008/10/shake-shack-uws.html It sounds like it's got everything you would want!

• footstool's Profile Photo

The Shake Shack: French fries al fresco

by footstool Updated Apr 4, 2011

"Al Fresco" is not someone I know from high school! It means eating outdoors in jolly old Manhattan, at Madison Square Park, on East 23 St. It's right across the street from the Flatiron Building. in the -- what else? -- Flatiron District. This monument of malteds offers classic American fare at reasonable prices. Tourists and locals blab away the time during the up to 25 minute waits on line. This is what makes the Shake Shack a New York experience. The tourist discovers that NYC is not cold and impersonal, but hungry and chatty. Once you place your order, you have the time to stake your claim to an outdoor table. This is because you are given a beeper-like device (remember when?!) which sounds off when your order is ready for pick up. They have recently opened up a sit-down Shake Shack on 366 Columbus Avenue, on the Upper West Side. -- and they STILL line up outside.

Favorite Dish: The "concrete" is their shake. If you try to drink it with a straw, your lungs will collapse! It's best consumed with a spoon.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down- You Decide

by TexasDave Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a well-known fast-food style place serving, of course, milk shakes, and all of the associated foods one would expect- burgers, hot dogs, etc.
    Some claim the best burgers in NYC are served here, others disagree. So it's important you go and experience it for yourself. Particularly at lunch time and to a lesser degree at dinner there will be a long line. So if time is an issue try to go by at off hours. Especially in warm weather it's the typical New York experience to sit at one of the regulation-green Parks Department tables and watch life go by.
    It's very near the Flat Iron building, and a short walk over to Gramercy Park.

There is a second Shake Shack behind the Museum of Natural History, at Columbus Ave and 77th St. It has limited indoor seating or you eat your meal over in Central Park.

And now there is a third Shake Shack in the Theater District, 691 8th Ave at 44th Street.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Good, But I Don't Get The Hype....

by Donna_in_India Written Aug 1, 2011

I've seen this place recommended here on VT for having the "best" shakes in NYC. When I had out-of-town visitors recently we decided to stop in for a late lunch. The place was absolutely packed. We had to wait a while for a table and then go to the counter to place our order. We were given a pager to let us know when our order would be ready. It took a long time to get our order. The shake was very small - as were the (single) hamburgers. The cheese fries had so little cheese on them that I thought they were an order of regular fries.

This is really not a place I'd recommend other than to say if you're in the area of one and it's not too crowded, check it out and make up your own mind. My shake, by the way, was definitely not the best I've ever had - wasn't even the best I've had in NYC.

Open 11 a.m. to midnight.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Shake Shack - Madison Square Park: Best place for lunch!

by csordila Updated Jan 8, 2012

Shake Shack - Madison Square Park

When you are traveling through New York, you should make a stop at the Shack. I was going there, becauset this is the greatest park snack. The mushroom burger was great, the thick shakes are very rich, but, you have to have about a half an hour - the lines are long!
    The only thing that wasn't great was the fries. Huge line, but worth it.
    The restaurant was opened in July of 2004, and was conceived and developed by Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group.

Favorite Dish: The mushroom burger

• Adventure Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: In Madison Square Park

by leics Written Aug 4, 2011

The Shake Shack

Ok..I only sought this place out because it was recommended in my Rough Guide. I visited NY in a heatwave, with temperatures over 100 degrees some days, and eating anything was not high on my agenda. But as luck would have it I was in the area at a time I actually felt a bit hungry (mid-afternoon NY time, evening meal time for my bodyclock) so I thought I'd try it out.

The Shake Shack is actually within Madison Square Park, at the East 23rd Street end. 'Shake' presumably derives from milkshakes, but they also give you a mobile device which vibrates when your order is ready to be collected...quite clever, given that seating extends some distance from the 'shack' itself (although the servers have very loud voices).

I just had a simple burger. I'm not a fan of such food but it was really excellent. The menu is quite extensive, and if the queue had not been so long I would definitely have tried the 'concrete', a type of ice-cream/dessert thing.

But that's the point...the queue was *very* long, even though I visited mid-afternoon. This says a good deal about how excellent the Shake Shack is (most people in the queue seemed to be New Yorkers), but poses problems..because if it was a 20-minute wait to be served at mid-afternoon mid-week how long must the queues be at busy times??

Whatever, if you are in the area and the queue isn't too unbearably long then I do recommend you try out some of the Shake Shack's offerings. Well worth it. :-)

• acebruin's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Burgers and Shakes

by acebruin Updated Dec 20, 2013

Shake Shack

A must burger joint to visit when you're in the city. The line gets pretty long even during off hours here at the Madison Square Park location. So be prepared to wait a while at this location. If you don't have much time, they just opened one in JFK. Better to get some burgers and shakes there if you don't want to wait a long time.

I always get the shack stack, can't go wrong with mushroom and cheese with your burger. We've tried the caramel shake, very good! Not a big fan of the fifty fifty (half tea half lemonade). You might not be able to find a table to eat around here since it's so crowded. But don't worry, there are plenty of benches around the park to sit and enjoy your burgers.

We're from Los Angeles, so we have In and Out burgers at home. I prefer In and Out than Shake Shack. But my wife likes Shake Shack better. Which do you prefer?

• rosie_b's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Hot Dog Stand Gone Upscale

by rosie_b Updated Apr 23, 2005

Shake Shack

This seasonal upscale hot dog stand in Madison Square Park is a place where people hang out for their afternoon lunch. The line, at times, can be a little bit much, but the food is worth eating, especially the chicago style hot dog, burger, and the mocha shake. And if you order the chicago style hot dog, you have to have it with everything, the relish, mustard, etc. You can also get beers and wine from this stand (unlike most New York hot dog stand), which is a plus. The best part about eating here is to eat outdoor, in the park, surrounded by trees and birds and a nice weather.

Favorite Dish: The chicago style hot dog and burger with special shake shack sauce, or if you want you can order it plain too. And the mocha shake, it was delicious.

• Travel with Pets

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Burgers are so yummy!

by Gypsystravels Updated Oct 19, 2010

My Shackburger and cheese fries

Shake Shack is a chain restaurant with 5 locations in NYC, Miami, Sarasota Springs and a new location opening in 2011 in Westport, CT. They serve some of the best mouth watering burgers you will ever experience (IMHO). All locations have the same menu items with burgers, hot dogs, fries, all sorts of shakes, frozen treats as well as beer and wine.

This is a self serve location where you place your order at the counter and then are given one of those devices that alert when your food is ready. You then pick up your meal at the counter and either take it to go, or find a place to enjoy your burger. The wait is usually about 5-10 minutes and if you decided to eat in, while you are waiting look for a place to sit either inside or in their outdoor atrium which is quite nice. Prices are very reasonable (better than having a burger at Burger King or the likes).

There is usually a line stretching out the door, but service is quick and friendly and you won't have to wait too long to place your order!

Favorite Dish: I love their burgers which are cooked medium, yum, and are usually served plain, unless you order a special like their Shackburger which is awesome, served with american cheese, lettuce, tomato and the special Shack sauce (a blend of mayo)...quite good. I also like their fries with some cheese which is quite good.

• not sure of the name....: Go to Madison Square Park....

by margepugh Written Sep 5, 2006

This is a grill of sorts in the park itself...stand in the long line and give your order for the best hamburger in town. I am telling you....this is the best! Be patient and wait your turn as it seems quite a few people are aware of the quality here.

• Shake Shack: Wrap up if it's cold

by swgf Updated Apr 4, 2011

Beautiful burgers. Order at one side of the shack and wait for your name to be called at the service hatch....then take your wonderfully cooked burgers to one of the nearby tables and wolf it down before the squirrels get to it! Located in Madison Sq Park, there is basic garden furniture to sit on and no heating....so if you fancy a really well-cooked burger, dress for the outdoors and head down there. But be ready to queue. We got there at about 3pm and it was VERY cold, yet there was still a dozen or so people waiting for their food. Mrs SWGF had the veggie option of a 'shroom burger and was also very impressed.

Favorite Dish: Double Shack Burger and the 'shroom burger come recommended

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Fantastic burgers

by martin_nl Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Shake Shack

Me and some other VT'ers joined Chris (cjg1) in his tour of the city to find the best burger place in the city. When we got here I have to say it's a bit chilly, since you're sitting outise. There's no inside here. However the burger here is amazing. The burger was fresh and juicy and all fresh ingredients. I was very satisfied! Fries were also nice. Too bad americans don't really have proper mayonaise. ;-)

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: I wouldn't queue again!

by clareabee Written Apr 25, 2012

We visited the location not far from times square for a bite to eat before we went to see War Horse - I would never venture inside the place again!!!! No tables, people hanging about like vultures waiting for one, people lingering at tables when they have long since finished their food (get out folks there are other people waiting and it isn't a romantic take your time type place!), and long queues and long waits for what is in my opinion VERY average food, nothing special at all, and i certainly wouldn't bother going again, or recommend anybody else going. There is nothing worse than trying to balance your try of food whilst on the lookout for a table - not a pleasant dining experience at all - and to add insult to injury because we were rushing because of the ridiculous wait i ended up with indigestion!

If you do insist on going I would opt for the location in the park.

Favorite Dish: Probably the milkshakes but honestly Mcdonalds are just as good!

• Singles
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Shake Shack
4.0 out of 5 stars