Strada 57, New York City

57th street between 8th and 9th. (212) 757-1620

by Dutchnatasja
    by Dutchnatasja
  • Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Strada 57: Great Italian restaurant, very good wines!

by Dutchnatasja Updated Mar 19, 2007

Restaurant Strada 57

I was spending some time searching the Internet for good restaurants when I found a restaurant named Strada 57. It’s an Italian restaurant located at 57th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenue. After reading very positive reviews, we decided to have dinner at Strada 57.

After some walking we arrived at the restaurant. It did looked nice from the outside. There are tables by the window, so it looked very cozy at the beginning. Inside it’s small, but it has a nice atmosphere. The tables has linen instead of paper, which I prefer. The tables were apart enough from each other allowing to have a normal conversation. The time we were there it was not too crowded.

Overall
    The restaurant has a very friendly and attentive staff. The atmosphere is nice, but nothing special. The food was good, except of the few negative things of my spouses entrée. When you look at the price of the menus, it is pretty good for New York standards. Everything is reasonably priced. If we are talking about authentic Italian restaurants in New York, I prefer Da Nico in Little Italy. The second is Strada 57.

Favorite Dish: Let’s talk about the food. I had the Linguini alla Romana - Fetuccine with chicken, prosciutto and shiitake mushrooms in a rose sauce ($13,95). My spouse had the special of the day, which was a half lobster with shrimp and pasta. The warm towel for my spouse to clean his hands was so extremely hot that he burned his hands on it. This was the second time this evening that something was dangerously hot. He had to drop the towel and let it cool down for a moment. They didn’t gave you a warning that the towel was very hot. Burning your hands should not be happening.

The waiter recommended a wine with our entrées. It was a Pinot Grigio. There are several Pinot Grigio wines on the list, but he knows his wines and it was a very good choice. My entrée was good and delicious. My spouse on the other hand was burning his mouth of the pasta. It was extremely hot. The lobster was not at all parts well cooked.
    We both had the homemade Tiramisu for dessert ($5). This was very delicious. Just how a Tiramisu must taste and believe me, we know how an original Italian Tiramisu taste.

After the dessert, we ordered an espresso. The espresso was a typical American espresso. At home (The Netherlands) we are used to drink strong coffee. Stronger than they serve in America. That may be the reason why we found the coffee not that special. For an Italian Restaurant I expected more of the coffee.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo

Strada 57: Great Italian food for reasonable prices

by Tourtech Updated Nov 2, 2006

There are a lot of famous italian restaurants out and about in NYC. If you look around, you will invariably find a place with pictures of famous people eating in the window and most likely stupid prices to match. Strada 57 does not have the "pedigree pictures" to boost the prices as they are only a few years old. But they do have great northern italian food and definitely cheaper than the other places.

You can always tell when a restaurant is doing well, on thursday and friday nights there is a lineup for tables early... Since the service is good, you do not have to wait long.

Favorite Dish: I think that the Pollo (chicken) Parmigiana is one of the best I have eaten, baked breaded chicken is not overdone. The fettucini Alfredo is made with fresh cooked pasta (not steam table variety) and fresh chopped garlic. The table bread tastes like it was baked at a local baker in tuscany... overall everything we ate was good and not over seasoned/produced.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Strada 57
4.0 out of 5 stars