Sunburnt Cow, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

137 Ave C NY, NY 10009 (212) 529-0005

The Sunburnt Cow - Mooooooo!
    by moirholj
  • moirholj's Profile Photo

The Sunburnt Cow: Put a shrimp on the Barbie...

by moirholj Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Sunburnt Cow - Mooooooo!

One of only two Austrialian restaurants in all of Manhattan. Excellent food with a funky casual atmosphere. How excellent and how casual? I tasted one of the best steaks I've ever had at The Sunburnt Cow, and it was served to me on a paper plate. You've gotta love that.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer:
    Grilled Veggie, Tomatoe, and Fresh Mozzerella

Dinner:
    Wildfire Spiced Flatiron Beef Steak
    with roasted garlic, goat cheese, tomatoe and croutons

Skewered Opal Valley Lamb on the Barbie
    over grilled polenta and haricot verts

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

The Sunburnt Cow: A Touch of Oz in the East Village

by etfromnc Written Mar 29, 2011

I have only been to Australia twice but both trips were fantastic and I love everything Aussie. With that prelude, you might imagine my delight at discovering The Sunburnt Cow. There is an eclectic, rustic atmosphere unlike anything which I found in Sydney or Melbourne and yet it did make me feel almost like I was back "down under." There were a myriad of candles in the outdoor courtyard and the inside reminded me of a hardwood-lined man-cave. The service is excellent. The menu was strongly Australian and burgery and included pureed vegetable soup, kangaroo sausage, beautiful pork chops, a remarkable variety of shellfish dishes (including a shrimp omelet), and, of course, Pavlova, that obscenely delectable Australian dessert which combines whipped cream, meringue, and fruit (In this case, kiwi, mango, and passion fruit).
    The standard price for all their burgers, several of which did not include beef, is $10.
    They also have a very imaginative takeoff on Happy Hour, which I thought had been outlawed in most US states. For $20 in the evening, you can drink all you want for two hours and they have a similar offer during their Sunday brunches, which I was told is the absolute best time to visit The Sunburnt Cow.

Favorite Dish: Pavlova

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Sunburnt Cow

View all New York City hotels