Sushi Samba, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 7 Reviews

87 7th avenue south 212-691-7885

• Sushi Samba
    by makiro
    Friend Apurva enjoying the food.
    by Sophie1980
  • Sushi Samba
    by AdHocTravel
  • liqdstar's Profile Photo

The best: Sushi Samba

by liqdstar Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sushi samba is by far my favorite restaurant. Hence I'm reluctant to review it because it's getting more and more crowded, & last time I went it was chock full of tourists. I guess that's mean! I am on this site because I am a tourist myself!! sometimes we get too posessive over our own cities...

So here it is...
    This place is japanese/brazilian fusion. the sushi is the best! so fresh!! and unique, my personal favorite is the el topo roll. its salmon, japapeno & mozzeralla cheese. soo good.
    The main dishes pale in comparison to the sushi, so I would skip the entree.

THe sunday brunch is amazing. such a good deal. for about $16 per person you get a roll (and the brunch el topo roll comes with egg), and samplers of a bunch of diff morning dishes.

THe drinks are the best! I cant even choose which one is my fav, but i guess the mora negra comes close.

Favorite Dish: el topo rolls!

• jilldj's Profile Photo

SUSHI SAMBA 7: Trendy Sushi

by jilldj Updated Apr 4, 2011

"celebrate the cuisine and culture of japan, brazil and peru!"

i've been here a few times and always enjoyed every visit. great selection of food and drink items. an ideal place to come as a group tho it gets noisy and too packed at times. the trendy atmosphere, music and good conversation will make you forget that your bill has sky-rocketed because of too much saki.

try the sushi samba special martini...yum!!!

Favorite Dish: chicken teriyaki

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Sushi Samba: Believe the Hype

by ctorres1979 Written Aug 8, 2006

Me and my girls went here for my bachelorette party and it was such a great experience. Reservations are most definitely needed especially if you go on a saturday night like we did. They accomodated us even though we were a couple minutes late. We got a great big banquette that looked right out onto the huge bar area so we could do some people watching while we hung out.

Oh yeah and the food.., the sushi was so amazing. Large pieces of fish, nothing skimpy about the portions at all! And the cocktails are great too, our drink of choice was the strawberry martini..mmm mmm

Favorite Dish: The huge sushi sampler that our server suggested to us. And the strawberry martinis!!

• makiro's Profile Photo

Sushi Samba: Latin meets Japanese

by makiro Written Jul 19, 2006

This is a modern space designed with bold colors. A nice to have cocktails and small plates with a friend. Or go all out with a full meal. Expect crowds in the evenings. I like doing a late lunch here. At the seventh avenue location, there are great looking cocktail lounge, dining room and rooftop dining and bar with views.

Favorite Dish: My favorite thing is to share with a friend some small dishes like the latino vegetable tempura ($8), Shrimp & Chimichurri Anticuchos ($10) and one of the samba rolls: Neo Tokyo ($13) made of yellowfin tuna, tempura flake & aji panca. And of course one of the wonderful cocktails: Mora Negra ($10) rum with muddled blackberry, mango purée, sugar & fresh lime juice or Nina Fresa ($10) vodka, strawberry purée, muddled strawberry, fresh guava & lime juices

• zumodemango's Profile Photo

sushi samba: sushi fashion

by zumodemango Written Oct 25, 2003

The restaurant is great, small and nice decorated! it's very fashion! althought we reserved, we have to wait like more than 30 minutes to be sit! my friends were complaining and we almost went to another place, but it was my idea to go there(recommended by a vt friend) and i was there only for one week we waited(not very patienly). it was crowded, even to have a drink in the bar!!!!!

Favorite Dish: The mixture of Peruvian, Brasilian and Japanese food is very original! the sea food ceviche was fantastic, of course the sushi and the rollls!

• Sophie1980's Profile Photo

Sushi Samba 7: Sushi, Sushi, Sushi

by Sophie1980 Updated Mar 17, 2003

Friend Apurva enjoying the food.

I came here twice and both times it was at the weekend and thus evry busy. However, we were a large party of 11, and they were able to find us a table without too much of a wait, esp. without a reservation. The waiters are friendly and offer prompt service. There is also someone to take your coats. A wide selection of everything from sushi to California rolls, with substantial portions (I was satisfied with my 6 California rolls). Prices are relatively cheap compared to other NY sushi restaurants. Drinks menu was fairly large but expensive.
    Chilean sea bass, pan seared salmon and steamed Mahi Mahi are specials.

Favorite Dish: California rolls.

• AdHocTravel's Profile Photo

Sushi Samba: Sushi Samba

by AdHocTravel Written Aug 25, 2002

The decor is very well done. Clean and bright with comfortable chairs and tables.

Favorite Dish: Eel roll or the Saki, it's a toss up. Thei sushi is very good and all of the menu items are infused with South American flavors (hence the name). For instance I ordered Miso soup and found it flavored with cilantro. I liked it, some purists might find it odd.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Sushi Samba
4.0 out of 5 stars