Thalia, New York City

828 Eighth Avenue 212-399-4444

• Gorgeous bar area reminds me of Art Deco era
    Gorgeous bar area reminds me of Art Deco...
    Love the wall decor!
    by starship
  • Wonderful French print & unique wall sconce!
    Wonderful French print & unique wall...
  • starship's Profile Photo

Thalia's ~ On 50th St. & 8th Avenue

by starship Updated Feb 23, 2013

Love the wall decor!

Our June, 2010, visit to New York City yielded yet another opportunity for my daughter and I to experience at least one of the city's great restaurants. For this visit, we chose "Thalia's"! The restaurant was a good choice for several reasons: menu, decor and location.

Arriving in the city around 2pm, we decided on having lunch at Thalia's instead of dinner. I liked this restaurant immediately upon entering, and due to the hour, we had the restaurant virtually to ourselves. We were immediately seated at a window table, and our waitress arrived within a very few minutes.

Much larger than most NYC restaurants, Thalia's has a very appealing, eclectic decor with attractive seating arrangements on different elevations, plus eye-catching, over-sized French, Belle Epoque-type posters and prints hung on the walls which were painted in shades of forest green and scarlet. Many beautiful and unusual candle sconces were selectively placed around the restaurant which added a further layer of art to admire here among many visual enticements.

Being a postcard collector, I really appreciated the attractive & FREE postcards of the restaurant which I found there. (It seems to be unique to New York City that many restaurants offer free postcards of their establishment to their patrons!!) Collectors will also appreciate the beautiful business cards and matches.

Favorite Dish: For lunch I chose a bowl of cream of asparagus soup ($8) and a baby spinach salad ($10). I was somewhat disappointed with the soup which was a little too thin and lacked some flavor. The baby spinach salad was very good, if quite small. The delicate baby spinach leaves were topped with slivers of apple, roasted panchetta, pecorino romano cheese, candied walnuts & maple syrup vinaigrette. The salad really was delicious, but so small for the money that even accompanied by the soup, I was slightly hungry when we left the restaurant.

My daughter chose the Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich ($14.95 ) which came with tomato, tapenade, garlic & herb aioli, and a large portion of house chips (more like steak fries). She enjoyed her sandwich, but couldn't finish the fries. Because her choice was considered part of the traditional brunch (Saturdays and Sundays), her meal also came with her choice of a Mimosa, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver, wine or juice.

Though I would give my meal a little mixed review, I really liked the restaurant and the service was very good, and I would give the restaurant another try, even if just for drinks. The restaurant had an attractive bar, and comfortable seating arrangements for small groups who just wanted drinks and a chat. Thalia's was beautiful in daylight and I imagine very, very special at night!

• PKCass's Profile Photo

Thalia: Close to Broadway

by PKCass Written Mar 1, 2008

The food was quite good. I had a pasta dish, but my friend had the lamb sugo which he thought was outstanding. The lighting is dim and the restaurant was fairly full, but we got right in around 7PM without a reservation on a Monday night in December. That would probably be more difficult to do on a show night. Thalia offers a very reasonably priced pre-theatre (before 7PM) prix fixe menu ($49 includes three courses and a flight of wine).

• Theater Travel

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Thalia: Great atmosphere with great food

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 26, 2007

I love this place. The chef has a distinctive eye for wonderful combinations of foods. The atmosphere is eclectic and warm and makes for a great place for either after theatre dinning, a get together with friends or a great dinner out with your loved one!!

Favorite Dish: The Pumpkin Crusted Sea Scallops!!! Yum, I love scallops! Any of the chef's wide selection of distinctive plates is a hit!!

Try their raw bar with a yummy selection of all things from the sea. And their desserts, omg, their desserts are scrumptious!! The coconut creme brulee is excellent!!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Thalia
3.5 out of 5 stars