Veselka, New York City

144 2nd Ave 212) 228-9682

Veselka terrace on 9th st.
    by davequ
  • Veselka Xmas borsht by Natalie Behring - NYTimes
    Veselka Xmas borsht by Natalie Behring -...
    by davequ
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Veselka: East Village Ukrainian Coffee Shop

by davequ Updated Jan 6, 2010

Veselka terrace on 9th st.

This is a place I really liked in the East Village.
    Was wandering around St. Marks / Astor place area before noon when I saw Veselka on 9th with a shady terrace. They serve the tables outside on 9th street and have booths etc inside.

Veselka has a really different coffeeshop / breakfast all-day menu serving everything from good std. breakfast & coffee to comfort food to east-europe kielbasa / pierogi & borscht.
    And it's affordable, most stuff comfortably under $10, qualifies as NYC cheap eats.
    And a good east village people-watching spot.

To see up close some of the great Ukrainian dishes Veselka currently serves up
    click HERE

Open 24 hours with lots of personality, terrace tables to eat outside on the street, good food - Veselka is a typical reason why New York belongs with the great one-of-a-kind cities in the world.

Check out the excellent website with everything you ever wanted to know about Veselka.

Favorite Dish: I had some eggs & kielbasa and their good coffee, then hung out on the terrace & watched east village people walk by.
    Check the website, their menu is amazing in its variety. Service was very quick, polite, warm & friendly on the terrace.

• danasuzanne's Profile Photo

Veselka: My Favorite (Polish) Diner

by danasuzanne Written Jun 13, 2006

Everyone has a favorite late night/early morning diner. This is mine. They have a huge menu. Great Eastern European Specialities. If you go for weekend brunch, you'll wait a bit, but it's worth it. They're open 24 hours & are in the heart of the East Village, so keep it in mind.

Favorite Dish: Potato + Cheese Pierogies with sour cream & onions. Homemade Chicken Soup.

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

Veselka: Eastern Europe on the East Side

by shutterlust Written Jun 5, 2006

Where else can you can Eastern European food (Ukranian) other than the East Side?! I love this place, quite especially for brunch. They have an amazing, but different cuisine than most restaurants you find. The atmosphere is very welcoming, warm, bright, awesome wall mural, and very East Village edgy. It's on 2nd Avenue, with plenty of great bars to visit as well, so awesome location. The food is delicious, I mean, I don't recommend restaurants whose food I *don't* like...so definitely visit Veselka's at SOME point during your stay. it's truly an experience and you'll gain a new appreciation of Eastern Europe. I know I certainly did! :-)

Favorite Dish: the pierogies!! And the pastries are just beautiful, I've never had them, but I certainly wish I had! In fact, I think I may go tomorrow after work...

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

Veselka: Ukrainian Diner

by Jennyjump79 Written May 12, 2005

Open 24 hours, this is a real favorite in the East Village. In fact, you'll probably have to wait a few minutes for a table, if you come during dinner hours. For those of you who hesitate to try the Ukrainian dishes, they also serve a full American menu with daily specials.

Good prices, but what I really liked about the place was that they let you linger over your meal, even if it's only coffee and cake.

Favorite Dish: I loved the vegetable soup! The cakes and desserts are also yummy. As for the Ukrainian entrees, I had one with pork, sauerkraut and potatoes that was very good.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Veselka
4.0 out of 5 stars