Virgil's BBQ Bar, New York City

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

VIRGIL'S BBQ: BARBECUE

by LoriPori Written May 13, 2013

Friday, May 3, 2013
    Hans and I wanted to get together with some VT Friends and since we had most of Friday evening to ourselves, we posted a "VT Meet" for 7:00 p.m. at VIRGIL'S BBQ. Donna (Donna_in_India) along with Sandy and Kasha were able to attend, as did Steve (spgood).
    Virgil's was a great choice as it was easy to get to and very near Times Square.
    Hans and I shared a Combination Platter - the Chicken & Ribs Combo which consisted of barbequed 1/4 chicken and Memphis style Pork Spare Ribs. We had a choice of two sides and we picked Cole Slaw and French Fries. Also corn bread came with the meal. It was more than enough food for us.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Virgil's BBQ: Virgil's BBQ

by TravellerMel Written Jan 23, 2012
    Virgil's BBQ

My sister (who lives in New York) recommended meeting at Virgil's BBQ before heading over to Madison Square Garden for the Rangers vs. Predators hockey game. Located right off Times Square, it was a perfect location to meet. We were able to be seated right away. The food was very tasty and in good quantity. For about $15, I got the pulled pork sandwich (comes with slaw and fries), and a soft drink.

• Rocco's Pastry Shop and Expresso Cafe: Simply Amazing Connoli

by postcardsfromnewyork Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Rocco's Cannoli, the photo tells the whole story

Expect a little shiver of anticipation as the dessert fork lifts the rich luscious ricotta filling to your lips and eagerly awaiting tongue. Stop. Do not swallow before you allow all the flavors of the creamy custard to dissolve.

One luxurious cannoli is more than enough to leave you completely satiated; But, go ahead, be decadent, and have two.

Rocco's Pastry Shop and Cafe's cannolis, and all their desserts and cookies are worth every last calorie. A true Southern Italian pasticceria, the dolci (sweets) are never too sugary.

Friendly and slightly crammed, the shop's great to visit with friends for desserts or alone with a good book.

Best of all, for those of you who do not live in New York. Rocco's will ship anywhere in the continental US. Call 212-242-6031, order now, and you can enjoy these mouth-watering cannolis tomorrow. Don't you deserve a treat?

Favorite Dish: The cannolis are soft, luscious and absolutely to die for.

• jlynyc's Profile Photo

Virgil's BBQ Bar: Great food near Times Square

by jlynyc Written Nov 3, 2007

While not the healthiest, Virgil's undoubtedly offers some great bbq conveniently located to the Theater District/Times Sq. Make sure you make a reservation if you're going pre or post theater, as this joint gets very crowded. You'll get heaping portions of comfort food in a relaxed, friendly (sometimes noisy) atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The po' boys and the bbq salad are a nice change if you don't feel like BBQ.

• lynmur's Profile Photo

Virgil's BBQ Bar: Great food and atmosphere

by lynmur Written Sep 4, 2007

We were recommended this place by a local so knew it would be good.
    It was a really nice place to eat and the atmosphere was great too.

Favorite Dish: Am writing this about 2 years after being at the restaurant so can't actually remember what we ate but can tell you it was good!!!!

• kenadams's Profile Photo

Virgil's: BBQ

by kenadams Written Sep 8, 2004

This bbq restaurant is influenced by southern and midwestern styles to bring some authentic American food to Times Square.
    Lots of shrimp, chicken, pork, beef - barbecued or fried.

Favorite Dish: The fried chicken I had was very good, but other dishes (fried catfish and grilled Sirloin Steak) were somewhat disappointing.
    Still, it is a good place to stop for lunch.

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo

Virgil's Real BBQ: Used to be One of My Favorites

by AliasGirl Updated Aug 10, 2004

I just loved this place, we used to go here all the time. Its located right in the theatre district.

The menu has all types of delicious barbeque dishes and pulled po' boys. The biscuits WERE my favorite with the apple butter spread on top.

Except that my last visit there left me a lasting impression, and I just can't go back. My biscuit had an extra that wasn't on the menu --wink, wink. Needless to say, I haven't gone back.

This probably happens all the time in all the restaurants in NYC and everywhere else for that matter. It just happened to be my time to experience something like that. If you don't have fear, try this restaurant.

How fair am I? I still gave this place a pretty good rating!

• blackbuster's Profile Photo

Virgil's Real Barbecue

by blackbuster Written Aug 25, 2002

Virgil's Real Barbecue
    We love food there... Really traditional American style dishes... I remembered I ordered Terkey hamberger... and Yumi ordered pork ribs & Terkey... I think people should try once... Really yammy... hehehe I love that place...

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Virgil's BBQ Bar: Hot Sauce

by boltonian Written Jan 12, 2008
    Virgil

Just off Times Square, a really well regarded and tasty BBQ place.

Be prepared to wait for a table as this place is very popular.

Highly recommended

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

Virgil's BBQ Bar: Great BBQ pulled pork and lamb

by pulgaron Written Nov 28, 2005

Great BBQ pulled pork and ribs. Good prices. Big portions. Great service and ambiance.

Favorite Dish: The brisket and lamb platter combo $19.95.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels