Bloomingdales, New York City

59th and Lex (or 1000 Third Avenue) 212 705 2000

Know about this? Rate It!

BLOOMINGDALES
    by shutterlust
  • clareabee's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: fabulous cosmetics!

by clareabee Written Dec 7, 2009

Another must visit store - so iconic of New York, affectionately known as 'Bloomies' to locals i believe!
    I always like to have a wander around the cosmetics and purfumes department of these stores and this one certainly didn't disappoint! Every brand you could ever wish for is here and was a pleasure to just have a wander round!
    We had lunch in here (can't remember the name - was a diner type place on ground floor) and it was lovely - nice glass of wine, hot dog and fries...what more could a girl want....ok perhaps a nice shiney new handbag!

What to buy: everything and anything! - cosmetics floor is good bet!

What to pay: I found this store a little pricer than Macy's

• clareabee's Profile Photo

all department stores: Department store sales assistants!

by clareabee Written Dec 4, 2009

ok we went in a few of the stores (but not all) and the ones that come to mind are Henri Bendel, Macys and Bloomingdales.

Be prepared to be hounded in the cosmetics/purfume departments! - now whether it was because it was near christmas but we we constantly mithered by sales assistants trying to sell us the latest purfume they represented.

I don't mean a simple 'would you like to try the latest purfume by YSL'? - no it was you can't get that in the uk - and me replying erm actually you can - and had a 'discussion ' for a few minutes on what we sold in the UK!!!!!

There is a bit overkill on assistants on these counters....sometimes they are working en masse! - don't be frightened just say no and if you don't like something that they ask you to test tell them!!!

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Huge and luxurious department store

by nomadig Updated Aug 23, 2009

Bloomingdales is a huge shopping complex for a department store, located a few blocks away from the busiest hustle-bustle of New York's main shopping streets. It is worth the detour, as it conveniently enough collects a lot of interesting brands and items under a single roof.

All normal areas of life are covered, from infant clothing and toys to suits and dresses that can be worn in funerals. I've personally liked their luggage department, and have bought a lot of suitcases to carry everything that I've bought with me.

If you are a foreigner, consider popping over to their visitor services desk for a lot of help and hotel delivery. If you spend enough in the store, they will bribe you with a small gift -- that have generally been quite usable, especially the bags that we still use when buying groceries.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Born To Shop Bloomies

by clueless83 Written Apr 13, 2009

Along with Macy's, Bloomingdales is the other 'must-visit' for any shopaholic in Manhattan. I probably didn't spend as long here as I did in Macy's but I think that was just down to personal preference as a couple of girls I travelled with prefered Bloomingdales to Macy's (and seemed to have spent a fortune there!).

Also, don't forget this is where Rachel Green from Friends worked and was once described as 'her house of worship' ;-)

What to buy: I bought a nice top with 'Born to shop - Bloomies' written on it among other things. The famous big/medium/little brown bags are also very popular here.

What to pay: Prices vary at Bloomingdales, depending on what you want to buy.

• Luxury Travel

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: A NEW YORK LANDMARK

by alyf1961 Written Jan 27, 2009

BLOOMINGDALES

Bloomingdales is a New York landmark, featuring in many TV programmes such as Friends and Will and Grace. One of the things I am always asked to bring back for friends when I visit New York is the plastic shopping bag. This part of the store is always busy when I visit.

What to buy: Plastic “big brown bag”. You can also get them in small and medium. These bags are legends.
    medium bags are around $10.

What to pay: most things are quite expensive.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales

by jo104 Written Oct 12, 2008

Bloomingdales has become well known with their trademark little brown bag and is one of America's upscale department stores owned by the same group as Macys. The famous store moved to its current location 59th & Lexington Street in 1886.

Do stop by the visitors centre and on proof of foreign identification be it drivers licence or passport you will qualify for an 11% visitors discount which covers the 8.375% sales tax nicely. If you spend over $200 there is also a free gift, we received a bloomingdales tote bag after almagamating our purchases. The lady on the sunglasses desk was ultra helpful & I ended up buying a pair that I never intended to buy - thats sales for you!

What to buy: designer gear!

What to pay: You decide

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: cosmetic paradise!

by Suzze Updated Jul 18, 2007

It's massive and reminded me of Harrods. You could spend all day in this place and still not see everything.

What to buy: To be honest I didn't go around this store as much as I would have liked to. I had a shopping hating hubbie with me that just likes me to get what I want and then go. So that is what I had to do as we were only in New York for six days and wanted to get around as much as we could. The main reason I went here was to get my friend and my daughter and daughter in law a "little brown bag" the plastic ones! So off I went to purchurse four bags as I thought I'd get myself one too. On passing the cosmetics I went to the Clinque counter out of curiosity to see if the ranges were any cheaper than Canada, as I was there last month. They were a bit cheaper and when I compared it to England, Bloomindales were half the price! So I stocked up on my cleansers, toners and moisturisers and very chuffed with my bargains I was too. So go and check it out if you are going! The other counters I didn't check out as time was limited. So there I was laden with brown plastic bags and Clinque toiletries coming out of my ears walking out of Bloomingdales! The only this is you do get bombarded with assistants giving you perfume sprays on your arms and the same for the men! You come out of the store smelling of everything they sell!

• jlpretty's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: BRING YOUR CREDIT CARD

by jlpretty Updated Mar 29, 2007

THIS STORE IS LIKE NO OTHER. THE SHOPPING IS INCREDIBLE, PRICEY BUT WORTH THE TRIP. I SPENT TWO DAYS IN HERE. THE RESTAURANT SERVES HEALTHY LUNCH FOR A BREAK TOO.

What to buy: PURSES, BEAUTIFUL CLOTHES AND SHOES

What to pay: IT IS LUXARY SHOPPING AT ITS BEST

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales

by Alpha_Ghana Updated Mar 21, 2007
    Medium Brown Bag, by Bloomingdales

I just entered there to see the place where Rachel used to work before Ralph Lauren.
    Well, not too bad, only clothes on so many floors, shop attendants everywhere, they even have assistant buyers, people who guide you in the displays to help you to chose your clothes (What Rachel was doing). But you must be ready to spend thousandS of dollars for that.

it was funny, we purchased a medium brown bad in plastic and it was wrapped in a big brown bag in paper.

What to buy: The only I bought was a Medium Brown Bag. 20$, cheapest item of the store.

What to pay: 20$

• kirsty_lamb's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Tourist Discount

by kirsty_lamb Updated Oct 6, 2006

Bloomingdales is a department store that has lots of really nice things n it, and where the famous little brown bags can be found.

If you have a none US passport or other photo ID take it to he visitor service counter (on the Balcony right at the end) and they will give you an 11% discount off of stuff in the shop. When we were there there was also small gifts if you spent over 100% as well (a bag or keyring)

What to buy: It's special as it's just a famous new york shopping spot.

• Bloomingdale's: The Brown Bags.

by singersongwriter Updated Aug 9, 2006

Bloomie's has got it all - all the great brands, a Louis Vuitton boutique, a Burberry boutique and on the same floor all the make-up brands, cosmetics and perfume you need as well as thousands of different accessories such as cool bead necklaces, scarves, hats etc etc.

The next level is the one stuffed with all the latest fashions in clothing, BCBG Maxazria, Marc Jacobs, Juicy Couture, DKNY and Lacoste just to name a couple, as well as an enourmous range of jeans: Seven for all mankind, Citizens of humanity, Joe Jeans, True Religion, Paper Denim and more.

On the same level are also the many shoes and they are really trendy aswell.

What to pay: Since it's a department store, you can find things at very low as well as very high cost.

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: If you're looking for that dress go here!

by ctorres1979 Written Aug 8, 2006

The uptown Bloomingdale's is that real New York department store experience that you will really enjoy if you take the time to get here. Everything they sell is good quality and in current styles. The styles you will find for dresses here just is so much better than going to macy's.

What to buy: This is the perfect store to go to if you're in search of that special dress for a friends wedding or that date that you have coming up

What to pay: $100-$1000

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

Bloomingdale's: Cashmere Sweaters

by shutterlust Written Jun 5, 2006

I think cashmere is the most luxurious of all materials. Cashmere is orgasmic. It's literally wearing luxury. It's cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It goes with everything and dresses up even jeans! I absolutely adore cashmere. My favorites come from JCrew's line, they get their cashmere directly from a small location in the center of Italy and its just beautiful. But sometimes even I'm on a budget! So go to Bloomingdales in June and July and get a cashmere turtleneck from Bloomingdale's private-label Sutton Studio line for $69 (the cheapest price...up to $149, the full price). These gorgeous t-necks go on sale in the summer, but the best prices are after the Christmas/Hanukah holidays. Go get them before they go!

(And to think, I used to say I would never buy from a store's private line...)

What to pay: $69-149 for one item.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales, Something For Everyone

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Oct 15, 2005

Bloomingdale's

There are Bloomingdales all over the United States, but this is its flagship and I think it is a beautiful store. It is where Barbara Streisand shot a T.V. special years ago. This store is affordable and yet it also has wonderful designer boutiques, tons of shoes (on the fourth floor there are Chanel and Ferragamo, to name just two, and on the second floor there are more youth oriented less expensive shoes), household items, and even furniture. There is something for everyone at this store.
    There are also nice, clean lady's rooms on the second and fourth floors.

What to buy: You name it.

What to pay: Broad price range from reasonable to very expensive depending on which floor you shop on and what you buy. Has some good sales.

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Bloomingdale's: Bloomies

by TRimer Updated Feb 15, 2005

Bloomingdales

Occupying an entire square block, Manhattan's fashionable East Side department store has been offering the world's finest in fashion and home furnishings since 1927.

What to buy: Bloomingdales is known for serving up the latest trends without breaking the bank. Their Y.E.S. department has such great names as Seven jeans, BCBG and Laundry. Their INC line is a great way to get the latest trends that are a good value. The cosmetics lines also are the latest including Smash Box, Bobby Brown and MAC.

The store also have great merchandise with the Bloomie's logo including tote bags and underwear.

What to pay: Monday – Friday: 10:00am – 8:30pm Saturday: 10:00am – 7:00pm
    Sunday: 11:00am – 7:00pm

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels