Bloomingdales, New York City

59th and Lex (or 1000 Third Avenue) 212 705 2000

Know about this? Rate It!

BLOOMINGDALES
    by shutterlust
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Just like DJ's

by sue_stone Updated Aug 15, 2004

Bloomingdales is a fabulous department store in the heart of Manhattan, that has been around since the 1860's.

A great place to "spend" a few hours doing some retail therapy!

Nothing better than walking out with several of Bloomingdales famous 'brown bags'!!

What to buy: They stock everything from mens and womens clothing and accessories, makeup/perfumes, luggage, homewares, gifts etc etc

I bought a fabulous red purse for myself and some baby clothes for a friend who had twins whilst I was in NYC.

• nyc2323's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Not a real bargain but worth it.....

by nyc2323 Written Aug 8, 2004

This store can be pricey but believe me when I tell you the best time to go is the day after Christmas. They have AMAZING sales!!!!! 50% - 75% off designer clothes.

What to pay: Depends on your budget. You can leave with money to spare or in serious debt!

• jo104's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales

by jo104 Written Oct 12, 2008

Bloomingdales has become well known with their trademark little brown bag and is one of America's upscale department stores owned by the same group as Macys. The famous store moved to its current location 59th & Lexington Street in 1886.

Do stop by the visitors centre and on proof of foreign identification be it drivers licence or passport you will qualify for an 11% visitors discount which covers the 8.375% sales tax nicely. If you spend over $200 there is also a free gift, we received a bloomingdales tote bag after almagamating our purchases. The lady on the sunglasses desk was ultra helpful & I ended up buying a pair that I never intended to buy - thats sales for you!

What to buy: designer gear!

What to pay: You decide

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales, Something For Everyone

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Oct 15, 2005

Bloomingdale's

There are Bloomingdales all over the United States, but this is its flagship and I think it is a beautiful store. It is where Barbara Streisand shot a T.V. special years ago. This store is affordable and yet it also has wonderful designer boutiques, tons of shoes (on the fourth floor there are Chanel and Ferragamo, to name just two, and on the second floor there are more youth oriented less expensive shoes), household items, and even furniture. There is something for everyone at this store.
    There are also nice, clean lady's rooms on the second and fourth floors.

What to buy: You name it.

What to pay: Broad price range from reasonable to very expensive depending on which floor you shop on and what you buy. Has some good sales.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Bloomingdales: a NY institute

by Mahieu Written Nov 11, 2004

Half of the world knows Bloomingdales as the place where Rachel from the TV-series 'Friends' worked. And no doubt that this department store owes a lot to the series. I bet a lot of tourists want to see Bloomingdales with their own eyes. It is a huge department store selling clothes, perfume, ...There are different locations, but the biggest one is situated on Lexington Ave.

I especially loved their "big brown bag" when you buy something. (also available in medium or small size)

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

Bloomingdale's: Cashmere Sweaters

by shutterlust Written Jun 5, 2006

I think cashmere is the most luxurious of all materials. Cashmere is orgasmic. It's literally wearing luxury. It's cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It goes with everything and dresses up even jeans! I absolutely adore cashmere. My favorites come from JCrew's line, they get their cashmere directly from a small location in the center of Italy and its just beautiful. But sometimes even I'm on a budget! So go to Bloomingdales in June and July and get a cashmere turtleneck from Bloomingdale's private-label Sutton Studio line for $69 (the cheapest price...up to $149, the full price). These gorgeous t-necks go on sale in the summer, but the best prices are after the Christmas/Hanukah holidays. Go get them before they go!

(And to think, I used to say I would never buy from a store's private line...)

What to pay: $69-149 for one item.

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: fabulous cosmetics!

by clareabee Written Dec 7, 2009

Another must visit store - so iconic of New York, affectionately known as 'Bloomies' to locals i believe!
    I always like to have a wander around the cosmetics and purfumes department of these stores and this one certainly didn't disappoint! Every brand you could ever wish for is here and was a pleasure to just have a wander round!
    We had lunch in here (can't remember the name - was a diner type place on ground floor) and it was lovely - nice glass of wine, hot dog and fries...what more could a girl want....ok perhaps a nice shiney new handbag!

What to buy: everything and anything! - cosmetics floor is good bet!

What to pay: I found this store a little pricer than Macy's

• Dazzle88's Profile Photo

BLOOMINGDALES: If you LOVE to shop!

by Dazzle88 Written Sep 14, 2003

BLOOMIES

BLOOMINGDALES or Bloomies for short is a great 9 floor department store. Bloomies sells basically cloths and make-up. From designers to vintage you can find anything there for anyone (teens/juniours, women, kids, men, plus sizes, petitte sizes) The first floor is dedicated to make-up and accessorires. There is a great restaurant and a coffee shop inside as well. My favortie part is on floor 6, Martin's chocolates. They are soooo yummy and freshly made before your eyes, though it is pricey.....$1.35 a piece!

What to pay: Bloomingdales is not be your cheapest store, but it does have modset prices.

• kirsty_lamb's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: Tourist Discount

by kirsty_lamb Updated Oct 6, 2006

Bloomingdales is a department store that has lots of really nice things n it, and where the famous little brown bags can be found.

If you have a none US passport or other photo ID take it to he visitor service counter (on the Balcony right at the end) and they will give you an 11% discount off of stuff in the shop. When we were there there was also small gifts if you spent over 100% as well (a bag or keyring)

What to buy: It's special as it's just a famous new york shopping spot.

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: cosmetic paradise!

by Suzze Updated Jul 18, 2007

It's massive and reminded me of Harrods. You could spend all day in this place and still not see everything.

What to buy: To be honest I didn't go around this store as much as I would have liked to. I had a shopping hating hubbie with me that just likes me to get what I want and then go. So that is what I had to do as we were only in New York for six days and wanted to get around as much as we could. The main reason I went here was to get my friend and my daughter and daughter in law a "little brown bag" the plastic ones! So off I went to purchurse four bags as I thought I'd get myself one too. On passing the cosmetics I went to the Clinque counter out of curiosity to see if the ranges were any cheaper than Canada, as I was there last month. They were a bit cheaper and when I compared it to England, Bloomindales were half the price! So I stocked up on my cleansers, toners and moisturisers and very chuffed with my bargains I was too. So go and check it out if you are going! The other counters I didn't check out as time was limited. So there I was laden with brown plastic bags and Clinque toiletries coming out of my ears walking out of Bloomingdales! The only this is you do get bombarded with assistants giving you perfume sprays on your arms and the same for the men! You come out of the store smelling of everything they sell!

• Bloomingdale's: The Brown Bags.

by singersongwriter Updated Aug 9, 2006

Bloomie's has got it all - all the great brands, a Louis Vuitton boutique, a Burberry boutique and on the same floor all the make-up brands, cosmetics and perfume you need as well as thousands of different accessories such as cool bead necklaces, scarves, hats etc etc.

The next level is the one stuffed with all the latest fashions in clothing, BCBG Maxazria, Marc Jacobs, Juicy Couture, DKNY and Lacoste just to name a couple, as well as an enourmous range of jeans: Seven for all mankind, Citizens of humanity, Joe Jeans, True Religion, Paper Denim and more.

On the same level are also the many shoes and they are really trendy aswell.

What to pay: Since it's a department store, you can find things at very low as well as very high cost.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Bloomingdale's: The Best Known New York Store

by seagoingJLW Written Mar 19, 2003

Bloomingdale's

They have everything, and I do mean everything. When I lived in New York, I was here a lot.

You have surely heard of Bloomingdale's. Do you remember Darryl Hannah as the mermaid named Madison in the movie "Splash?"

• clareabee's Profile Photo

all department stores: Department store sales assistants!

by clareabee Written Dec 4, 2009

ok we went in a few of the stores (but not all) and the ones that come to mind are Henri Bendel, Macys and Bloomingdales.

Be prepared to be hounded in the cosmetics/purfume departments! - now whether it was because it was near christmas but we we constantly mithered by sales assistants trying to sell us the latest purfume they represented.

I don't mean a simple 'would you like to try the latest purfume by YSL'? - no it was you can't get that in the uk - and me replying erm actually you can - and had a 'discussion ' for a few minutes on what we sold in the UK!!!!!

There is a bit overkill on assistants on these counters....sometimes they are working en masse! - don't be frightened just say no and if you don't like something that they ask you to test tell them!!!

• jlpretty's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: BRING YOUR CREDIT CARD

by jlpretty Updated Mar 29, 2007

THIS STORE IS LIKE NO OTHER. THE SHOPPING IS INCREDIBLE, PRICEY BUT WORTH THE TRIP. I SPENT TWO DAYS IN HERE. THE RESTAURANT SERVES HEALTHY LUNCH FOR A BREAK TOO.

What to buy: PURSES, BEAUTIFUL CLOTHES AND SHOES

What to pay: IT IS LUXARY SHOPPING AT ITS BEST

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Bloomingdales: A NEW YORK LANDMARK

by alyf1961 Written Jan 27, 2009

BLOOMINGDALES

Bloomingdales is a New York landmark, featuring in many TV programmes such as Friends and Will and Grace. One of the things I am always asked to bring back for friends when I visit New York is the plastic shopping bag. This part of the store is always busy when I visit.

What to buy: Plastic “big brown bag”. You can also get them in small and medium. These bags are legends.
    medium bags are around $10.

What to pay: most things are quite expensive.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels