Century 21, New York City

22 Cortlandt Street (212) 227-9092

Know about this? Rate It!

Century 21 store
    by malakingtete
  • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Century 21: Upscale Discount Shopping

by apbeaches Written Feb 3, 2014

Century 21 Department Store is a legendary New York City retailer offering top designer merchandise at incredibly low prices. For over 50 years, they've kept shoppers adorned in the biggest names in fashion. With up to 65% off retail 100% of the time, anyone truly can afford to look great anytime.

Besides facing Ground Zero, Century is alsolocated:

Lincoln Square near Lincoln Center -
    1972 Broadway, New York, NY 10023 (bet. 66th & 67th)
    212-518-2121

Bay Ridge, Brooklyn -
    472 86th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11209
    718-748-3266

Rego Park, Queens -
    61-35 Junction Blvd, Rego Park, NY 11374
    718-699-2121

What to buy: Designer handbags, shoes, cosmetics, fragrances, mens womens & children's clothing, lingerie, housewares, luggage, bed & bath & gifts ...

What to pay: Items discounted approximately 65% from retail.

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Century 21: Sooooo busy - be prepared for the crowds!

by clareabee Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have to say I didn't really like this store it was far too busy! and alot of the stuff in there looked like junk to me. I am sure if you are prepared to use your elbows and fight to save $20 on a purse then you might just get a bargain!

Tip: if you want to go get there as soon as it opens at 7.45am

It will not be an experience I will be repeating and I am a seasoned shopper - but life is too short to spend time wandering around a shop for hours when i may not even get anything!

What to buy: well apparantly loads of bargains but you have to have the patience (which I don't!) to hunt for stuff.

What to pay: cheap cheap cheap!!!!

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Century 21: Bargains galore!

by clueless83 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Century 21

Century 21 is situated opposite Ground Zero and sells lots of goods at bargain prices. Perhaps not as a big a name as the other department stores but worth going to if you want designer gear but can't afford Fifth Avenue prices.

What to buy: Shoes. I got myself a pair of Miss Sixty trainers for probably half of what they would cost in the UK. DKNY stuff is also popular as my boyfriend got some t-shirts for a good price.

What to pay: Less than other department stores.

• malakingtete's Profile Photo

Century 21: Must do shopping at Century 21

by malakingtete Updated Apr 4, 2011

when we got to New York, the first thing we requested was to go to woodberry factory outlet to do some best buy shopping for pasalubong. but since my husband's friends have all been living in New York for decades already, they were very wise enough to advise us not to splurge too much on those factory outlets for we will go see Century 21. Boy the place is a mecca of everything that is discounted! (or maybe it's just a holiday since it's memorial day?) ha ha ha ha... all shoes & clothes are not taxed but everything else are. almost all brands are there! i was too engrossed on the sale that I end up being reprimanded by my husband for buying a few things which are not on our budget. he he he he... :) anyways, they have a lot of branches all over new york but the one we shopped was located I think near ground zero. according to my husband's friends, there would be a lot more to choose from the branch in brooklyn if you're not into hip hop clothes which black mostly buy in that area. can't wait to go back there and i will surely spend more this time and ship it through a balikbayan box because it would cost more if i buy those things here in pinas!

What to buy: anything! clothes, shoes, bags, belts, wallets etc

What to pay: you can buy a pair of boss shoes at around $50, lacoste bag at $30-$60, RL bag for $25, RL shoes at $25-$40. triple or more the worth there & that's how much it would cost if you buy them here in manila

• jo104's Profile Photo

Century 21: Discount Shopping at its best

by jo104 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Century 21 advertises itself as New York's best kept secret but on the contrary its just the opposite. If you are planning to go get there early as it can be a real madhouse. I purchased a nine west handbag for a fraction of what it would cost in London. I also bought some accessories from the childrens clothing range upstairs. The designer stock changes on a regular basis so buy what you want when you see it. I am not convinced the perfume is that much cheaper but I did not price it anywhere else. Do remember you will be charged sales tax of 8.375% on top of your purchases.

You may need to hunt for what you want but there are some fantastic bargins to be had on this high end couture line - Happy shopping

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Century 21: Brand names for less

by Maggies Updated Apr 4, 2011

In Marshalls

Century 21 is a discount department store. It's really cheap comparing to regular department stores but it seems a bit more expensive comparing to Marshalls. There is no Marshalls, which is another discount department store, in Manhattan but there are some in NJ, Brooklyn or Queens.

They all have great prices even for Americans not talking about Europeans who have to pay extra for buying designer clother at home. But you have to prepare yourself for a real mess and digging in the bunch of clothes, still, it's worth it.

• sharpo's Profile Photo

Century 21: good buys for less

by sharpo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Wear comfortable shoes, get there early and go with an open mind, as you won't find exactly what you expect to buy/find..... Husband's/partners can tour the financial district while you shop, as there isn't anywhere to sit... Be prepared to wait at least 1/2 hour+ to get into the fitting room.

What to buy: You will find everything and anything to wear and accessories.. for less than most other stores in NYC.

What to pay: $200 - $500 USD

• boolateh's Profile Photo

Century 21: The best shopping place in NYC!

by boolateh Updated Apr 4, 2011

The best price in all you can think of item, even better compared to outlets! Visit again and again as stocks change almost everyday!

What to buy: Designer bags and wallets, perfumes, belts and accessories, shoes, NYC souvenirs, and travel bags and luggage.

What to pay: You are expected to spend as much as 70% off or more on great items! You'd never have to leave New York to shop!

• jlynyc's Profile Photo

Century 21: Go at off hours

by jlynyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a great store where you can find bargains on all sorts of designer items...but be prepared for chaos! Go during off hours or first thing in the morning and avoid this place on the weekend if you can help it. Located right across from the site of the former World Trade Center ("Ground Zero"), this place can get jammed.

• Century 21: clothes in New York

by Ferdia1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

real value here

What to buy: basically if your in the market for some well known branded clothes this is well worth a visit.
    rain coats,suits casual gear all pretty cheap compared to european prices

What to pay: 300 dollars for a designer suit, probalby less if you look around

• thanalik's Profile Photo

Century 21: You find everything and in huge quantities

by thanalik Updated Apr 4, 2011

The place is a huge sale! You fing a lot lot lot lot lot of things to buy, even if they are new collections in cheaper prises.But the point is there are lot of things that are from former season easy to wear that have up to 75% off!!!
    The department has 3 floors and who will need at least 4 hours to say you saw half of the cloths.
    I got in at 9.00am and got out in 1.30pm and had bought about 30 pieces for about 420$-450$!!
    You should give it a try...

What to buy: Everything from babies,kids, men and women, haute couture, casual, daily, swimming-suits, shoes, leathers, you will find everything...

• Century 21: Century 21

by BmtAgt Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is for the man of the house:
    My daughter and I were visiting colleges last summer when we stumbled into this store.
    (Its next to the WTC ground zero site) We had been in the West Village shops the day before but did not buy anything as she did not want to blow her entire trip budget on 1 or 2 items. She went crazy in this store. She's 17 and apparently designer name brand recognition is a standard feature on teenage girls. She got her mother on the phone and they double teamed me into letting her stock up on bargains.
    Over a 3 day period we crammed in about 2+ hrs a day at that store. We shipped 4 packed boxes of clothes home and my total bill was about $1,200. (If you've ever shopped with a daughter searching for a special occasion dress you will be lucky to only drop $300 -$500 at the local mall, before the shoes and accessories)
    I can attest that in the months that followed that trip she was the envy of her friends back home. And I was constantly reminded that the blah blah jeans she bought in New York for $40 are at our mall today for $100. We live in a small Texas city and the NYC bargain buys had not even hit our area at full retail.

What to buy: TIP: Go to the US Post Office around the corner and they will sell you a large box and all supplies needed to pack and ship your purchases home. ( Or more likely, she'll ship back the clothes she brought with her and wear her new stuff back home.) Either way you don't have to lug it back thru airports.
    Pack it, seal it, lapel it, right there in the Post Office and for about $21.00 + $5.00 Insurance
    (our average box) you are done. 1 of the boxes beat us home. I think 50# is maximum but that's not an issue with clothes.

• Study Abroad

• Century 21: i love c21

by cdrules17 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I t's my favorite store in the world.Due to the fact that I can get designer duds for less.

What to buy: You can get anything Designer for less.I love the hats.I got Dolce&Gabbana,Fendi,Ck,Puma etc...............

What to pay: Expect to pay various price ranges.What ever floats ya boat.I spend $200 and up.

• esthero101's Profile Photo

Century 21: Best place in NYC to shop!

by esthero101 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trying on hats in Century 21

Century 21 is a discount department store specializing in designer apparel and accessories. There are 4 floors, with men's ladies and children's apparel, shoes, lingerie, linens, cosmetics, accessories, handbags, luggage, housewares, and gifts. This is a place where you will see brand names like Prada and Narciso Rodriguez side-by-side with Juicy and Miss Sixty.

Everything is well-organized, usually by brand and then size. Avoid going on the weekend if possible since the store can become very busy at times. Salespeople are hard to find everywhere but the cosmetics department, but I appreciate being able to browse in peace. Set aside at least a few hours to properly go through everything- they bring out new racks daily so check back if you have time.

What to buy: You can purchase almost anything here. Check the website for advertised sales to direct your shopping and save even more.

What to pay: You can expect to pay 25-75% off retail for clothes, shoes, etc. Some GREAT bargains to be had. I purchased two jersey dresses from my favorite brand Velvet during my stay, the total came to $85US and I just had to go back.

• Century 21: Brooklyn store is worth the trip!

by violawendy78 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I live in Boston and am, of course, partial to Filene's Basement. But Century 21 gives it a run for its money. I stayed with friends in Brooklyn this week who advised me to visit the Century 21 near their house (86th St. between 4th and 5th)... WOW! I went one day to scope it out and then again the next day to do my shopping. The fitting rooms are much nicer than the Manhattan ones, the lines are shorter, and I think the selection and bargains are just as good. It's definitely crowded, but it's less overwhelming than your usual discount store. It's also incredibly well-organized for a store of this type (especially the lingerie... don't get me started on Filene's!).

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels