Macy's, New York City

Broadway/34th Street 212 695 4400

Know about this? Rate It!

• Macy's
    by richiecdisc
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Macy's: Handbag Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by sue_stone Updated Aug 15, 2004

Macy's is a HUGE department store. It is so big that it is a must see tourist attraction when you go to New York.

We made the mistake of only having a few hours free to shop at Macy's......no where near enough time, considering that I spent close to an hour just looking at all the handbags!!

There is also a really good food hall to have lunch in - all sorts of gourmet delights, with plenty of seating.

What to buy: This store stocks everything. With a huge range of it.

Perhaps you will need to buy a new suitcase while you are here to ship it all home in....

I bought a fab handbag and some sunglasses and a few other things.

Will allocate a full day next visit!!

What to pay: don't worry......that's what Hubbie's credit card is for!! ; P

• Women's Travel

• kleverkimberley's Profile Photo

Macy's: Macy's has a Tourist Discount card - FREE!

by kleverkimberley Written Mar 29, 2005

Macy's snowflake light show at Christmas

Go into the Visitor information center at the Macy's at Herald Square (34st - the one you'd be going to anyway :)). It's a half floor above the first floor - ask any sales staff and they'll help you find it.

Macy's gives you, with not strings attached, a discount voucher good for that day that gives you 15% of all purchases in their store (there are some exceptions but,... surprisingly few!)

Happy shopping!!! :)

• School Holidays

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Macy's: shopping even if through the windows

by richiecdisc Written May 24, 2010

Macy's famed facade

Macy's is living proof that shopping in and of itself is an institution in New York City. A pioneer in the department store mode, the massive retail store is a must see for tourists as well as a heavily-utilized outlet for locals. It comes particularly alive during the Christmas season when not only the avalanche of shoppers give it a particularly strong holiday flair but also elicits memories of old Saint Nick from anyone who as seen A Miracle on 34th Street where Kris Kringle himself actually works for Macy's as Santa Claus, of course. If you haven't, by all means do before any visit to the City during the merry festivities.

Of course, there are many stores beyond Macy's like Saks Fifth Avenue and countless others. Even if you can't afford to actually shop in them, they are worth an extended peak especially during the Christmas season when they do most of their business for the year.

• Photography
    • Architecture

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Macy's: World’s largest department store?

by toonsarah Updated Nov 13, 2008

Macy's sign

We didn’t particularly come to New York to shop (it’s not Chris’s idea of a holiday and in any case the fast changing exchange rate made things less of a bargain than they had been in the past). But we couldn’t pass by Macy’s without checking out what claims to be the world’s largest department store. A New York institution since it first opened in the mid nineteenth century, Macy’s has occupied this prime spot on Herald Square since 1902. Although it is now a huge company with many outlets, this flagship store retains something of that sense of history, including the old wooden escalators from that time.

Macy’s also hosts a number of events during the year. We didn’t spot anything particular happening on this visit, but we still have special memories of the 1982 exhibition staged here – Touch the Moon at Macy’s. The star exhibit was a piece of moon rock which visitors were permitted to touch so I can genuinely claim to have touched the moon! Macy’s also of course sponsors the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade and other big annual events such as 4th of July fireworks.

What to buy: We were coming towards the end of a long day’s sightseeing on this occasion so we had a fairly quick look round. But I did take the time to stock up on some of my favourite Clinique products as they were quite a bit cheaper than in the UK and a little less than Duty Free prices.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Macy's at Herald Square: The world's largest department store

by Jefie Written Jan 3, 2008

Macy's at Christmas time

I hadn't really planned on going to Macy's but as we were walking on 34th street, we decided to go in to see how big it really was. Well, it's huge! Serious shoppers could easily spend an entire day there. The store runs along 34th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue, and has at least 7 floors if I remember correctly. It is however very easy to get around this store, as each floor is separated into two sections and there are plenty of indications. The merchandise all seemed to be reasonably priced, and there were also many sales racks (where I found a great sweater for only $5!). Since we were there in November, the store was nicely decorated for Christmas, and we got to see the giant ball they would later drop at Times Square on New Year's Eve. So even if you don't really plan on buying anything (but be warned that it's really hard to leave Macy's without a shopping bag), it's still worth going in just to take a look around.

Macy's is open everyday from 10:00 am to 9:30 pm (11:00 am to 8:30 pm on Sundays).

What to buy: Be on the lookout for sales - you can get really good deals.

What to pay: Same as other department stores

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Macy's: Macy's...not all its copped out to be!

by sugarpuff Updated Feb 8, 2006

Well from reading other people's pages and of course seeing it on soaps in the States, Macy's seemed like the perfect place to pick up a bargain! So having not seen it on my first trip there, therefore missing the window displays...I knew it was an absolute MUST to go see it on my return!

But when I entered, it felt just like a really old department store and everything looked quite messy on the hangers and shelves...nothing in any remote way wanted me to stay there and peruse the goods. In fact, the main reason we went in was because we needed to use the bathroom!The one thing I will say that they HAVE got going for them however, are the wooden floored escalators...they were really cool!

Please tell me if Im wrong, but I just couldn't get excited about it at all. But for those who would like to go there still after my not so positive account of the place, you'll be pleased to know that there are 13 floors, including a floor which is called 'one and a half' ! There are 10 different restaurants in here including the obligatory McDonalds and Starbucks and then some nicer places too!

And just for those of you who are interested, gift cards are available too for amounts from $10 - $10,000!!! Anyone want to be my friend?!

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Macy's: Get your discount coupon!!!

by UKDaisy Updated May 18, 2007

If you plan to shop at Macy's and you're from out of town, then make sure you head to the Visitors Services desk first to collect your discount coupon. You'll have to show proof of your visitor status, eg passport or driving licence.

Domestic visitors are eligible to receive a Welcome Savings Pass, which offers up to 11% savings in all Macy's stores nationwide for five days after validation (usually the first purchase). International visitors can receive the Welcome International Savings Card, which is available in 10 languages and offers 11% savings in all Macy's stores for 30 days after validation.

• Theater Travel
    • Business Travel

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Macy's: Make sure you wear comfortable shoes!

by clareabee Written Dec 4, 2009

This department store is huge!! - there is no way you can explore everything even in a day so do what i did - make you way to the visitor department (with your passport) grab a 10% discount card and a store map!

Hint - if you are after a Coach handbag buy it here as it is the only place you get discount on it!

this store still has the wooden escalators and it is quite nice to see them as a change from the bog standard metal ones.

You can get whatever you want here but it is very busy and hot!
    Most of the staff are really helpful and if you are lost just ask somebody.

Can be a bit overwhelming because of the size of the place - but there are plenty of places to stop for a coffee break so it isn't too bad :-)

What to buy: Everything and anything!

We went at the end of November so picked up some christmas decorations - including the annual christmas ornament they do and also one of the macy's thanksgiving parade characters.

Handbag department is good - something for all budgets.....just remember that discount card

What to pay: seems to be cheaper than the other department stores plus you have the added bonus of a discount card!

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo

MACY'S.: ALL UNDER ONE ROOF.

by GrantBoone Updated Jan 8, 2005

MACY'S STORE.

Everyone has heard of Macy's (haven't you?)_
    If you are staying anywhere near the Empire State then Macy's is within walking distance. Its a huge department store along the lines of Selfridges in London. Selling clothes , homewear , well you name it!!

What to buy: We went for the designer jeans and T shirts .Much cheaper than back home in London.

What to pay: Havent been since 1995 so difficult to say.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Macy's: Huger than huge

by Mahieu Written Nov 11, 2004

The mother of all department stores: Macy's! I think there were 9 different levels, located in 2 different buildings. A friend of ours even got lost! You can find almost anything: clothes, perfume, jewelry, electronics, bath utilities, ...
    Definitely worth to have a look.

Macy is the sponsor/organizer of the big Thanksgiving Pafade.

• Custodyspice's Profile Photo

Macy's: 11% discount

by Custodyspice Updated Mar 31, 2004

...heaven......

Department store, largest in the world, I believe. If youre 'foreign' to the USA, you can get a Macys international savings card which entitles you to a further 11% off. This has to be redeemed in person, not on-line. I e-mailed them and they sent me one to the UK, however you can ask for one in-store at the Visitors Centre on the second floor.

What to buy: I'm a female, anything goes.

What to pay: Shed-loads, unsupervised.

• SassyCycler's Profile Photo

Macy's: International Travelers SAVE!!!!

by SassyCycler Written Aug 20, 2007

This is not widely advertised at Macy's. If you are an International visitor, you can save 11%. Go to Customer Service and show them your passport as proof of being a non-resident of the USA. You will be given a coupon for 11% savings on ALL of your shopping at Macy's. The coupon is good for 3-days. Unfortunately, in NYC this about covers your sales tax. This is good at all of the Macy's in the USA, so if you're planning on traveling to other states, you can probably save on the sales tax. If you don't have your passport with you, you can probably still get the coupon. My friend's UK accent was good enough for the customer service rep. Make sure to confirm that the 11% discount is still being offered before you fill up your shopping basket. These kind of deals tend to come and go without warning in the USA.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Macy's: Named NYC Largest Department Store

by jo104 Updated Oct 30, 2008

If you are looking for a Macy bag then head downstairs to the basement. This department store has some wonderful preserved features such as the old wooden elevators. To be honest it is just so big in here I was too overwhelmed to shop

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Macy's: The world's largest store

by clueless83 Updated Apr 13, 2009

Macy's New York

If you're shopping in New York then you're bound to stop by Macy's. Macy's is huge. We went there twice and even though I thought I'd seen it all I still managed to find a section I didn't see on my first visit.

You may be able to pick up a free gift in Macy's with a voucher. I got a bag from the visitor centre.

One other thing I would mention is the lovely green haired lady at the Benefit make up counter. She somehow convinced me and my friend to get our make up done (in order to sell us something) and while I was purchasing a concealer from her she noticed my 21st birthday badge on my handbag and gave me a free eyeshadow! :-)

What to buy: Macy's bags are quite popular and there are many different styles, perhaps not quite as famous as Bloomingdales brown bags but pretty cool all the same.

What to pay: Spend as much or as little as you like. I personally found Macy's to be slightly cheaper than Bloomingdales but some of the girls I travelled with disagreed.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Macy's: Huge department store with all the designer labels

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 24, 2009

Macy's is one of my favorite deparment stores and was one of the first store credit cards I had when I was first married. They have locations in many cities throughout the United States. The best time to visit Macy's in my opinion is during their huge one days sales which occur at various times of the year.

I love all their departments but some of my favorite have to be their home and house department with huge selection of comforters, sheets, and towels. The children's department is also a favorite and I've been shopping here for over 25 years and it is where I always bought Kristara her baby clothing!!

The cosmetics and perfume department are amazing as well with all the major lines sold here. The handbag department is a great place to snag a designer bag as well.

But, my all time favorite department has to be the shoe department. With a huge selection of designer shoes, boots, sandals, and casual foot wear, it is where I do alot of my shoe shopping.

What To Pay: From inexpensive to expensive

What to buy: Everything, its a department store. But I love buying their comforters, sheets and towels, cosmetics and perfume, handbags and of course shoes!!

I recently picked up some bathroom items and accessories for our new home while doing a bit of shopping with my sister here on 34th Street.

What to pay: Anywhere from inexpensive to expensive

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels