New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Shea Stadium - Mets vs Reds
  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

New York Yankees Store

by TexasDave Updated May 20, 2005

All Things Yankee

If you can't get out to Yankee Stadium to see a game, you can least get some official Yankee merchandise. This store is just E of Times Square and has everything you can imagine for the Yankee's fan- makes for nice souvenirs for people back home.

• KarenTaylor's Profile Photo

Good Family Fun at Yankee Stadium

by KarenTaylor Written May 16, 2004

No, I wasn't playing the game, but I have been to see the Yankees play twice, and it's a great family trip. There are few away supporters(unlike a footmall match here) so, there is little or no trouble.(a little bit of heckling when I saw them play the Red Sox). The transport to the stadium is great, as there is a subway station right outside(161st Street). A fantastic atmosphere where they bring almost anything you could want to your seat....popcorn? No problem . Beer? Certainly. Kitchen Sink? I'm sure they could arrange that as well!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

NY Yankees at Yankee Stadium

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 14, 2008

Everyone should see a Yankee game at least once at Yankee Stadium. The stadium is always packed, the fans are nuts and you just have a great time. As recent as a few years back I'd attend at least 4 or 5 a year, not much but always had a good time while I was there. For the most part we would hang out for a few innings and then leave before the crowd.

I haven't been to a Yankee game in over a year, but I do go to the Mets games, my babe is a season ticket holder and you'll see me at Shea Stadium helping him root for his team.

• jag17's Profile Photo

by jag17 Updated Oct 11, 2004

Peanuts..Popcorn..Crackerjacks

Known for it's famous baseball team, Yankee Stadium also hosts entertainers and other cultural events. The inaugural baseball game was played on April 18, 1923. After many mini face lifts, and a major face list in 1973, the stadium has had some new looks. The fans remain loyal and flock to the games, new look or old look. Catch a live game, or one of 3 behind the scenes tours to fully understand the history of the park.

• aemaya's Profile Photo

Has any one guessed who my favorite team is yet?

by aemaya Updated Apr 4, 2011

Baseball. You have not lived until you have rode the subway to Yankee Stadium, ate a hot dog, drank a few beers, and watched my boys do what they do best. I try to make it to NY once a year to watch a game.

One of these days - I'll post how I became a Yankees fan at the tender age of seven (funny) and how I came about seeing Yankee Stadium for the first time. (also funny)

Equipment: Bring a camera, money, and subway pass.

• School Holidays

• rosie_b's Profile Photo

Take me out to the ball game .. the Yankees

by rosie_b Written Mar 27, 2005

Inside the Yankee Stadium

It's not enough to go to New York and not experiencing the ultimate New Yorker activity, that is to go to see a Yankee's game. The Yankee Stadium is located at the Bronx, built in April 18,1923 although the team itself was created in 1903. When you go inside the stadium and sit on your seats, don't forget to get hotdogs, beers, and the soft serve ice cream in a small plastic container that shapes like the NY Yankee's hat.

Equipment: Wear the Yankees' outfits .... and support the team.

• hoofhearted's Profile Photo

by hoofhearted Updated Apr 29, 2006

Steve and Victoria at Yankee Stadium

Opening Day, Yankee Stadium, April 11, 2006. Yesssssss!!!!! There are only two more opening day's at this venerable landmark. In a few years they'll be throwing out the first pitch at (name of corporate sponsor) Ballpark. This was the purpose of our visit to Yankee Stadium in 2006, to see, feel, touch and smell the Grand Dame of the American ballparks.

Lemme tell yeh, this was one tough ticket. Of course, nowadays, there is no such thing as a "sold-out" event. We shopped all of the online ticket brokers and ended up getting outfield tickets (NOT bleachers) from hailstorm.com for a nominal price. We also splurged for the NY Waterways Ferry (from Pier 17) that dropped us off 5 minutes from the Stadium entrance. The Ferry also had spectacular views of Manhattan all the way up and back, well worth the $20.00USD.

The sold-out crowd (54,000 strong) was somewhat sedated (tense) until Derek Jeter jacked one out in the 8th inning to score three runs and win it for the home team. The crowd went WILD!! That's what I'm talkin' about, that's what wins 26 World Championships...

Equipment: Bring lots of cash, drink and food can add up fast. Also, they have great souvenirs, and you can use plastic at most outlets. Be careful with the photography equipment, the ushers/security are very hesitant regarding "big" lenses. I barely got in with my 75-300mm lens, I had to swear that I was a "non-professional" (which I am!).

• Beer Tasting

• PetraG's Profile Photo

New York Yankees

by PetraG Written Mar 7, 2006

Yankee Stadium1

On February 6, 1921, the Yankees announced the purchase of 10 acres of property in the west Bronx. The land, purchased from the estate of William Waldorf Astor for $675,000, sat directly across the Harlem River from the Polo Grounds, where the Yankees' had played since 1913. Renovations were made in 1966 and 1967, but more than that was needed. In 1972, the team sold their stadium to the city and signed a thirty year lease.
    The revovated Yankee Stadium opened with much fanfare in 1976, and the Yankees wasted no time living up to their "new" stadium. The team appeared in the World Series in each of the next three years, winning the fall classic twice. Players like Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter and Ron Guidry picked up where Mantle and Berra left off a decade earlier. Except for brief period in the early 1990s, the Yankees have always fielded winning teams since their ballpark was renovated. In the late 1990s and 2000s, the Yankees have been the team to beat, appearing in six World Series while winning four of them. A cavalcade of stars, including Derek Jeter and Roger Clemens, have graced Yankee Stadium during these years.
    Watching a Yankees Game is a real MUST when you visit NYC! Inside the Stadium you'll find the Monument Park with memories of all great Yankees players ever. See my travelogues!

Equipment: Backpacks and bag must be left outside. There are safes placed around the stadium that keep your luggage for 4-5 $ each.

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

I Almost Saw the New York Yankees...

by Karnubawax Updated May 10, 2007

As they said in "Bull Durham..."

Some days you win
    Some days you lose
    and some days it rains...

...and today was one of those days.

So I missed my shot to see Yankee Stadium, but I have until 2009 to see it before it is rebuilt.

One tip I can verify for you, despite not getting in, is that the website is not kidding when they say "no backpacks allowed." Yankee Stadium has very strict regulations on what you can and cannot bring into the park, and, judging from all the folks carrying their belongings in see-through plastic bags, they enforce them. They don't allow umbrellas either, so if it looks like rain, bring (or buy) a poncho.

I was rained out, but I do have the option to trade my ticket in for a similarly priced ticket - subject to availability - anytime within one year. Since I only paid $5 for the ticket, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, or that it will be worthwhile to do so. But I do plan to go back to New York soon, so I'll just have to try again.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

NEW YORK YANKEE GAME

by moiraistyx Written Sep 10, 2006

My son's second visit to The Bronx included going to see his first ever professional baseball game. Being that our host is a huge Yankee fan, he took us to see the Yankees. The game held Patrick's attention for all of about 5 minutes. After that he just wanted to explore the bleachers and see what everyone else was doing. About half way through the game he fell asleep on my lap. Thank goodness, I at least got to see the end of the game.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Take in a Yankee Game

by Paul2001 Updated Sep 19, 2007

Yankee Stadium

As a baseball fan I had to take in a game in the Mecca of baseball, Yankee Stadium. The New York Yankees are arguably the most famous baseball team in the world. During my visit the Yankees were hosting my favourite baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays.
    When I arrived in New York, I asked the concierge at my hotel how I would get Yankee tickets and it proved to be remarkably easy. Just two blocks from my hotel was the Yankee store where they sold them. I picked up a upper tier reserved ticket for $21.00. This proved to be a great seat if a little cramped. It was right behind home plate and the view of the field was very good. You can also pick up tickets at the stadium box office and Ticketmaster.
    Yankee Stadium itself was completed in 1923. It is known as "the House that Ruth Built" for the fact that the team became so popular in the 1920's when Babe Ruth played for the Yankees and popularized the team. The stadium was seriously renovated in 1974-75. In 1976 it was re-opened resembling the building that you have today. If you want to catch a game in today's Yankee Stadium then you have until the end of the 2008 season. The New York Yankees will be moving to the nearby new stadium in 2009.
    The fans in New York are very intense but as fellow who was cheering for the other team, I found them much more friendly than Red Sox fans (take that Boston!). Of note the starting pitcher for the Yanks in the game I attended was future Hall of Famer, Roger Clemens. The Yankees beat the Jays 7 to 1 I am sad to say.

• acemj's Profile Photo

by acemj Written Sep 2, 2003

web shot

This is hallowed ground for a baseball fan. No stadium can compete with the history that this stadium has seen. Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Reggie Jackson, etc, etc, etc.

You can tour the place for $12, but why the heck would you do that?? Instead, try to visit during baseball season (April through September, but the Yankees usually play a little longer into the playoffs!!!) and go to a game.

• djramey's Profile Photo

Yankee's Baseball Game

by djramey Written Feb 17, 2003

Yankee Stadium

Everyone has heard of them, and everyone knows the story behind this legendary baseball club, but not everyone has seen a game, and this is what I suggest. My second time out East I made journeyed to Yankee Stadium to catch a ball game and I was not in the least disappointed. Whether it was the ambiance of being in my Heaven, or the groundscrew doing the YMCA in the 7th inning, I felt at home here and I will go back plenty of times I am assured.

Equipment: No equipment is needed unless your a child. If younger than your adult years (and I say hell I am) you should take a ball glove to catch a foul ball or home run. Also take playing cards, baseballs, shirts, or any other memoribilia that you would like to get signed by the athletes if you get the chance.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Yankee Stadium: Did Babe Ruth REALLY build it?

by spgood301 Written May 11, 2008

Yankee Stadium, from the upper deck

Unless he was as handy with a hammer as he was with a baseball bat, probably not. But the history of Yankee Stadium, when it was originally built in the early 1920's, is that Ruth made the Yankees too big for the Polo Grounds that they erected a new stadium for him in the Bronx. And there is stands, even with a renovation in the 1970's. Until next season though, when a new Yankee Stadium will open right across the street.

Yankee Stadium is a huge part of New York's history and worth the visit, especially with the Yankees in town. Enjoy the most famous, historical sports stadium in the United States, and hopefully a great ballgame too. The Yankees are North America's most successful sports team with 26 World Series championships under their belt. For many years, the New York Giants played their home games there too. Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jackson, Jeter...they've all worked their magic at Yankee Stadium.

If you can't see a game, you can take a guided tour of the Stadium. Check out Monument Park in left field, with tributes to all the Yankee greats. You can visit that before games too.

Yep, the Stadium is showing its age-sightlines and corridors are a little small and it lacks some modern comforts. And yes, it's VERY expensive. But there's simply no place quite like Yankee Stadium.

• mortin21's Profile Photo

Yankees Stadium

by mortin21 Written Nov 13, 2006

The Bronx Bombers

Number one on any person's agenda for New York (tourist or otherwise) should be to go to a Yankees game. I'm not even a baseball fan, but after getting a Yankees vs Boston Red Sox ticket off a scalper I am now definitely a fan of the sport (at least when the right teams are playing). There is truly no better way to experience life in New York than to go to one of the games. After watching a Mets vs Atlanta Braves game, I was extremely disappointed in the fans (they didn't even get up to cheer). But the Yankees game was well worth seeing.

Equipment: DO NOT WEAR RED OR GREEN!!! Dark Blue or Black is preferred, but simply wearing Boston colors can get you in trouble here.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels