Broadway Shows and Theatre District, New York City

• Rock of Ages at the Helen Hayes Theater in NYC
    Rock of Ages at the Helen Hayes Theater...
    TKTS booth on Times Square
    by Jefie
  • I'm going to see a Broadway show, woo hoo!!
    I'm going to see a Broadway show, woo...
  • Robbie330's Profile Photo

Knitting Factory

by Robbie330 Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you're looking for a place to hear live music (and there are too many to mention in NYC), try the Knitting Factory in Tribeca. In addition to the main space there's a tap room downstairs with live jazz at no charge. Another district where New Yorkers go to hear live music is the Lower East Side, with a music venue on almost every street. In the pic that's Greg on the left, Doug on drums, & i'm on the right.

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Half and three-quarter price tickets

by Zmrzlina Updated Apr 4, 2011

I so want to see

The TKTS ticket booth in Times Square has lots of same day tickets to Broadway and off-Broadway shows. You got to get in line and wait for a long bit, but bring your postcards, a book, some kind of game, something to drink and make an event of it.

Cash only! Make sure you read the FAQ at the website.

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

TKTS Broadway show discount office w Apps

by VZ-Pam Written Feb 26, 2011

Here is New World travel tips (2011 feb) : You can download an "App" for the official TKT on your iphone & androids (which is popular for many savvy travelers these days) to check real time ticket information and prices.....no need to run to the booths at Times Sq or Downtown Brooklyn any more

• krismsong's Profile Photo

Great Show Discounts

by krismsong Written Feb 18, 2011

The Addams Family Signage

I have seen numerous shows over the last few years, including Wicked, The Merchant of Venice, Stomp, Blue Man Group, The Addams Family, and Avenue Q. Most of these shows I got discount tickets through my work or through www.theatermania.com getting about 40% off of the regular price. I know some folks rely on tkts, but I like being able to plan more in advance and choose my seats.

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Phantom of the Opera

by clareabee Updated Nov 28, 2010

Majestic Theater - home of Phantom

I have seen this before in the UK but I have to say seeing it on Broadway is magical.

We both (me and my fiance) loved it from beginning to end - and what we also loved was that the staff stopped all the people who were late from entering - thus our enjoyment wasn't spoilt....and when you have paid $250 for 2 tickets you don't want to miss a second! The costumes, the music, everything about it is just fantastic.

I would recommend - great music...I think this is my favourite musical.

Children under 7 may find parts of this a little frightening.

• Moira126's Profile Photo

Dont forget to catch a Broadway show!

by Moira126 Updated Mar 2, 2010

No trip to New York is complete without seeing a broadway show. I am partial to musicals, but it could be any show that catches your fancy. Ask your concierge about getting good tickets or go online for some great ticket deals :)

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Radiocity music hall Christmas spectacular

by clareabee Written Dec 7, 2009

Inside Radiocity

Loved this and I am 33 - can imagine if you were a child it would be totally magical!

Ok so it was a little cheesy but we loved it - again if you are in NYC when this is on you have to come....just to see the theatre along - what an amazing art deco interior I loved it!

The dancing was fabulous and the sets etc - what was particularly good was the 3D santa scene.

the real thing that spoiled this for me was people coming in late - i mean 45 minutes late (would you bother coming at all!) so this disturbed the whole theatre, and I had man infront who was about 7 ft tall and more of a fidget than a 5 year old child - so was constantly trying to watch past his head!

But loved it all the same - you have to go to the rest rooms down stairs. They have what looks like original feature sinks and a waiting area for ladies only where you can chill out or escape the other half for 10 minutes!

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Theatre District

by apbeaches Written Dec 9, 2008

We read the Sunday NYTimes & NY Magazines finding shows that interest us. We have always gotten amazing discounted seats at top rate shows. We've seen: "Gypsy", "Avenue Q", "In the Heights" ...

We go down early & get tickets at the TKTS booth in either Times Square the Seaport or Brooklyn.
    1. Times Square - "under the red steps" In Father Duffy Square onBroadway and 47th Street.
    2. Seaport - corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street
    3. Brooklyn - MetroTech Center at the corner of Jay Street and Myrtle Avenue Promenade.

For evening performances: Monday - Saturday: 3pm - 8pm Sundays: 3pm until one-half hour before the latest curtain time being sold. For matinee performances: Wednesdays and Saturdays: 10am - 2pm

Chicago the musical.

by a5floor Updated Dec 7, 2008

Chicago the musical.

When you are in NYC, you SHOULD go to a musical. You will like it.

There are plenty of different shows you could go to. Most shows are on Broadway.

I went to see the musical Chicago. I really LOVED this show. The voices of the people who played the characters were really good, there were funny lines in the play, the whole show was set up great...
    The show goes like this:
    It is the tale of Roxie Hart. She killed her lover for a career move. After the murder she gets a lawyer (Billy Flynn) who turns Roxie into a celebrity. Roxie is also meeting Velma Kelly, a dancin jailbird with an ear for headlines and an eye for talent.

The musical Chicago is played at the Ambassador Theatre.

Broadway.

by a5floor Updated Nov 30, 2008
    Broadway.

Broadway is one of the main attractions of NYC. Broadway is one long road in the heart of Manhattan. In the middle of this street you will see all the neonlights and crowded people. When you are walking around up here, you will see how crowded it will be and how massive these neonlights are.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Whats it like on Broadway

by jo104 Written Nov 18, 2008

I am a huge fan of the theatre & have been able to see a lot of shows in London with my good friend Superhanny so when Rhoda announced she had managed to get us tickets to see a show on Broadway I was made up. Lets just say that tickets are not cheap especially when they add on booking fees & taxes so best use a discount ticket booth or better still www.playbill.com or the like.

We went to see In the Heights which is set in Manhattan with the George Washington Bridge in the background scenary. It is an electric dance & song routine that will have you jiving in your seat. The theatre is also fairly small so even the lowest price tickets in the gods will still give you a good view.

It has been playing in the Richard Rogers Theatre since February 2008 & I hope this original show will last a long time.

Broadway on the whole has some rather unusual plays I mean when I walked down the street I saw Shrek the broadway musical anything to make a buck I suppose. The vibe on Broadway is nothing like I've come across in London although to be honest I wouldn't swap London West End for Broadway anyday each has their own charm and place in this world.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Broadway: the Great White Way

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

The Great White Way

Look at a map of Manhattan and you will see instantly that Broadway is a bit of an aberration! From 14th Street north to Harlem and beyond, every street runs east to west and every avenue north to south – except this one. It starts OK, running neatly down the Upper West Side between West End Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue (which further south becomes Tenth Avenue), but at 78th Street it suddenly veers eastward and becomes central Manhattan’s only diagonal street, cutting across all the others until it reaches a point just north of Washington Square in Greenwich Village. Here it appears to decide to behave itself after all and conforms again to the grid pattern until its final destination at Battery Park.

Broadway is also perhaps unusual in that its name signifies not only a street, or even a district, but also an idea – that of the pinnacle of the established theatre in New York, in the United States and perhaps (although London’s West End might well challenge this) in the world. The nickname “The Great White Way” refers to the stretch of Broadway that runs through the Theatre District, brightly lit at night by all the neon.

Because we can see all the shows we want to in London (though rarely do!) we didn’t choose to go to one in New York but we did spend some time one morning walking part of Broadway and taking in all the activity. South of Times Square a real effort has been made to make this a pleasant place to walk, and along the centre of the road are paved areas with tables and chairs where you sit with a coffee from one of the many coffee shops, eat a sandwich or simply pause to rest your feet after too long pounding hard city pavements. If like us you enjoy taking photos of the sort of street scenes that seem to capture the daily life of a city, this is a good place to come, as I hope you can see from my photos.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Broadway Musicals

by risse73 Written Oct 7, 2008

Watched

You should definitely make time for Broadway Musicals when in town. It is part of the fun of being in New York. There are new shows all the time. I usually catch a major Broadway musical production when I visit NY, and if time permits, I also see an off-Broadway musical or play somewhere in the city.

• Music

Famous shows/companies.

by a5floor Written Sep 14, 2008
    Famous shows/companies.

Waling around Broadway you will see all these buildings were famous shows/companies are accomodating. For example Bad Boy Entertainment Worldwide, Late Show and TRL. It is possible that they are making a show inside and that there are people lining up outside the building trying to get a glimpse of their idol.

• Nevo's Profile Photo

Save rent money and dont go see RENT

by Nevo Written Jul 2, 2008

Okay, let me start off by saying that i am a big fan of music, singing, musicals, etc...I am a creative person that really appreciates productions of this nature and has been to several broadway shows. I did NOT enjoy Rent. As a matter of fact, i left at intermission because it was really boring. I thought the cast was poor and the singing was not special. Not only that but the story was just not captivating and did not hold my interest. The storyline is very confusing and just lost my attnetion. I hate saying bad things especially because i appreciate the art of theater but there is just so many other options out there i would not tell someone to put this high on the list. After all the hype, pullizar prizes, tony awards, i was just very disappointed that was what i experienced!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels