Guggenheim Museum, New York City

by MM212
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Written Jan 22, 2014

Guggenheim

My niece wanted to visit the Guggenheim so I added it to our Go Select Pass. It was the last of the six attractions we visited, we had already been to MOMA and the Metropolitan Art Museum, both of which I found extremely impressive. Not so the Guggenheim. I'll admit that I am not a fan of modern art but even so the collection here is not impressive. The special exhibition of Christopher Wool was displayed going up the circular ramp, like much modern art I found it to be perplexing as to why it was considered art at all.

The one exhibit I was interested in seeing, Frank Lloyd Wright and a tribute to his Usonian House and Pavilion, was disappointing, not much there and housed in the museum's basement. The building housing the Guggenheim is a Frank Lloyd Wright design but it is not his familiar prairie style. The design of the building is very modern, completed in 1959, and like many of his other structures does not utilize the interior space well, there's not as much display space as you would think from the outside.

The permanent collection has some familiar artists-Picasso, Manet, Monet, Degas but the collection is not deep enough to justify the $22 admission fee.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Amazing building hosting an OK collection

by Jefie Written Nov 14, 2013

View from the top floor of the rotunda

I was much more impressed with the architecture of the Guggenheim museum than with its collection. The white curvy building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright at the express demand of Solomon T. Guggenheim, a businessman and art lover whose private collection had grown to include an amazing amount of modern and contemporary works of art. Wright spent about 15 years working on the museum's unique design and when the museum finally opened in 1959, both Wright and Guggenheim had sadly passed away. The museum's initial collection has grown over the years thanks to several donations made by private collectors. The museum is not too big so it's easy to visit, but it also means that only a fraction of the collection is on display. There was a special Christopher Wool exhibition when we were there that took up most of the showcasing space along the spiralling ramp and, quite frankly, I thought his art was a little boring. However, there was a special Kandinsky exhibition that was much more fascinating. To make the experience more complete, we stopped for lunch at The Wright, the museum's restaurant (http://www.thewrightrestaurant.com/). It was slightly overpriced, but the food and service were outstanding.

Admission to the Guggenheim costs $22 for adults. The museum is open daily from 10:00 am to 5:45 pm (closed on Thursdays), with late nights on Saturdays. If you're traveling on a budget, you might want to drop by on Saturday nights from 5:45 pm to 7:45 pm to take advantage of the "pay as you wish" special.

• tvor's Profile Photo

Less than impressed with the Guggenheim

by tvor Written May 17, 2013

For some reason, when i looked on the Guggenheim website, I was under the impression there was a more or less equal mix of modern and more classic style art. We went on a rainy day and the place was pretty busy. The main gallery is a spiral ramp and was lined with modern art exhibits from a Japanese artist. Pretty much incomprehensible for me. Two posts, one painted red and one white, with big nails pounded into it all over. That's art? How? There were one or two things I liked but mainly it was really not our thing. There was one small gallery with a couple dozen Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings. One. That's it. Another room was filled with childrens' artwork. Colourful but no, not my thing. It was a big disappointment but your mileage may vary. If you like modern and installation art, you will probably love it.

The Guggenheim overall left me cold. It costs about 25 dollars to get in and there really isn't an extensive collection on display that we could tell. There are two single-user toilets on each floor by the elevators. The cafe is small and difficult to get in and find a place to stand let alone sit. The Wright Restaurant next to it requires reservations though you can eat at the bar. The food there is expensive and very very fancy/gourmet. Not to most people's tastes, I wouldn't think.

The building is interesting, but you can look at that from the outside.

• Take only handbags leave only footprints

by Manhattanwindowseat Updated Dec 15, 2012

Try and go to the Guggenheim without much in your hands, as the cloak room is a hassle and they allow handbags in but not backpacks or satchels. Also wander around some of the side annexes as the art there can be really worthwhile, unusual and different but my visit today on a Saturday at 4pm meant I had a whole room to myself to ponder although the main lobby was busy.

• Luxury Travel

• geanster's Profile Photo

by geanster Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Guggenheim was easily my favorite of the New York Museums we hit. While I was there, they had up a show called Moving Pictures. There was alot of video art and my favorite exhibit was this little 8 inch tall hologram of an old woman sitting in a rocking chair telling a story. It was in this dark corner and was just magical. Very hip and easily viewable. I didn't feel like I was missing everything as I did at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Also, the amazing architectural design was done by none other than Frank Lloyd Wright. Another reason in itself to visit.

As a side note, you can also buy a city pass there for a discounted price that includes the Circle Line Cruises, Empire State Building, the other museums and a few other Tourist spots.

• UK_GUY_LOVES_VEGAS's Profile Photo

by UK_GUY_LOVES_VEGAS Updated Apr 4, 2011

If your going to visit one museum in NY, make it this one. Not only do they have spectacular atr displays inside, they also have a spectacular bui;ding in which to house them in.

Make sure you read the directions as we got lost whilst trying to find this place.

• Guggenheim Museum

by Yosemite_44 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The design (Frank Lloyd Wright, 1959) of this modern art museum is controversial, but in my opinion beautiful. The Guggenheim houses paintings by Picasso, Modigliani, Kandinsky, Chagall and Monet among others. Unfortunately when we visited in December 2001, there was a temporary exhibition and most of the permanent collection was stored in the basement at that time.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Disappointing

by clueless83 Written Apr 26, 2010

The Guggenheim

As we were in NYC with our art college, it was expected that we should visit at least one gallery during our stay. We chose the Guggenheim as some people I was travelling with enjoyed the Bilbao one, and in my opinion, I think that the time we spent in NY Guggenheim would have been better spent elsewhere.

I can appreciate art, I studied it, but the exhibits at the time we visited were, in a word, rubbish. I did not pay all that money to get in and just look at some flies stuck to the wall (seriously thats what one of the "pieces" was). At least at the Tate Modern in London if you don't like it then you haven't wasted your money.

The best part of the Guggenheim for me was a coca cola and a hotdog from the stall outside.

• csordila's Profile Photo

A masterpiece of the greatest American architect

by csordila Updated Feb 14, 2010

Bordered by curved lines

There are buildings, which attract thousands of visitors not merely by their values which can be found in them, but rather because of their astonishing, amazing exterior.

One of them is the most special building of New York, the building of the Guggenheim Museum looking out on Central Park.
    The American master, Frank Lloyd Wright gives the visitors not a daily architectural experience.
    Curved lines border it, inside a spiral ramp curling around the central atrium defines the route of the visit. Entering the seashell we may be ready for a journey moving downwards.
    The museum lacks the traditional exhibitor walls, they are replaced by a single continuous curved wall.
    The building also has a huge glass dome, which is pouring plenty of light into this round museum, which hosts a very beautiful, modern artistic collection.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

See the Art, See the Building

by TexasDave Written Feb 12, 2010

You either love it or hate it, but you must admit that the Guggenheim is an unusual museum in an unusual building. Built in 1959, it tends to change exhibitions regularly and mostly focuses on one artist at a time. The building inside resembles a sloping spiral ramp. There are elevators serving different levels. The building itself just underwent a major restoration.

• MM212's Profile Photo

by MM212 Updated Oct 24, 2009

The Guggenheim - Oct 09

One of New York's best contemporary art museums, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is also one of its most incredible structures. The museum was inaugurated in 1959 in this UFO-like structure, designed by the renowned American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. While the exterior itself is a masterpiece, numerous masterpieces by Impressionist, Post-impressionist and contemporary artists are exhibited inside. These include Picasso, Manet, Renoir and Cézanne, to name only a few.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

outstanding architecture

by PALLINA Updated Jul 13, 2009

It offers a great collection of contemporary arts but it worths a visit just also for its building. If you are not interested in visiting the museum, just go and take pics of the building, both outside and inside. In 1999 we enjoyed a wonderful jazz concert for free in the lobby, as well.

• Photography

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

by apbeaches Written Dec 9, 2008

The spiral design of the Guggenheim recalls a nautilus shell, with continuous spaces flowing freely one into another. In June 1943, Frank Lloyd Wright received a letter from Hilla Rebay, the art advisor to Solomon R. Guggenheim, asking the architect to design a new building to house Guggenheim's Painting Museum. Both Guggenheim and Wright would die before the building's 1959 completion.

We take the elevator to the top of the building by elevator, and follow the exhibits downward on the slope of a continuous ramp. The galleries are divided like the membranes in citrus fruit, with self-contained yet interdependent sections. The open rotunda views varied bays of art on different levels simultaneously.

The permanent collection at the Guggenheim presents a variety of private collections from the 20th to the present. We've seen some memorable & special exhibits at the Guggenheim. The small gift shop and cafe on the first floor are limited and a bit pricey.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Worth visiting for the building alone

by toonsarah Written Nov 13, 2008

Guggenheim Museum

More properly known as the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, this is one of the most famous, and most distinctive, of the buildings designed by the great Frank Lloyd Wright. I’m a huge admirer of his work, so this was high on my list of “must sees”, having missed it on our previous visit to New York. And I wasn’t disappointed – this is a stunning building. For one thing, it is a perfect example of an innovative form matching perfectly to the function of the building. Wright adopted this spiral shape to allow the visitor to the museum to make their way smoothly through the gallery without having to retrace their steps at any point unless they wish to. On each turn of the spiral you find yourself back at the lift shaft, should you wish to cut your visit short or return to a favourite point.

The museum shows a changing series of exhibitions of modern art in this main rotunda building, with a small permanent collection of works collected by Samuel R. Guggenheim himself and by Justin K. Thannhauser who left a portion of his significant collection to the gallery. When we were there in September 2008 there was an exhibition of installations by Louise Bourgeois. We would probably have enjoyed this as we’re both keen on modern art, but at $17 per person it didn’t feel like something you should rush round and we had other priorities for our one week in the city. Besides, my main interest was in the architecture, and I was very pleased to discover that we didn’t need to pay to go into the central atrium where we could get a really good look at the internal design and watch from below how people were making use of and enjoying the space. Please do look at my additional photos to see this amazing space - it really is a wonderful subject for photography.

The museum is open Saturday-Wednesday from 10.00 AM to 5.45 PM, Friday from 10.00 AM to 7.45 PM, and is closed on Thursdays.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Guggenheim in New York is Primo

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 31, 2008

Layout map of the interior

The building concept was conceptually brought to reality in 1943-49. Frank Lloyd Wright designed it but wanted it put in another city. The building was completed in 1959. Solomon Guggenheim began collecting pieces in 1920-30's. He ammassed a large collection that grew with other donations. There are now 4 museums worldwide. Peggy, a niece, pursued the construction concept to present to the public in 1938, and it eveolved from there.
    The only portion open at October 2008 ws the circular part, and that is about 1/2 of the museum. They have been renovating since 2005, and that inhibits seeing all there could be to see; maybe soon the work wil be done.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Guggenheim Museum
3.5 out of 5 stars