Rockefeller Center, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 213 Reviews

47th-51st Streets and between 5th and 6th Avenues.

• Rockefeller Center
    by LoriPori
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Radio City Music Hall

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 28, 2008

Home to the world famous Rockettes, Christmas show, Easter show and every other large show. Christmas Shows are the best.

There is also a backstage tour. Tours conducted Mon-Sat 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sun 11:00 am - 5:00 pm. Admission price is $15 per adult, $9 per children under 12.

• pure1942's Profile Photo

The Rock

by pure1942 Updated Mar 13, 2008

Rockefeller Centre

Rockefeller Center is located in the centre of Manhattan (near St. Patrick's Cathedral) and stretches between Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue. The building is mainly a commercial centre complete with an underground shopping concourse.The Plaza was built by the Rockefeller family.
    The centerpiece of Rockefeller Centre is the 266 metre high GE Building. The building is the scene of the famous photograph by Charles C. Ebbets of workers eating lunch while sitting on a steel beam hundreds of metres above the city streets. The photograph was taken in 1932.
    There is an ice-rink located in the Lower Plaza surrounded by 200 flag poles. the poles carry different flags at different times but usually fly the state flags and UN member nations. On National Holidays every pole carries the US Flag.
    Stunning views of the New York skyline can be seen from the 'Top of the Rock'.

• Experience the Rock!

by gaibb Written Feb 3, 2008

We spent a day at the Rockefeller Centre and this would of been my favourite place. First we went up to "Top of the Rock". On the way to the observation deck, you can view the making of the Building and also a short film on the Rockettes at Radio City Hall which was owned by the Rockefellers. The day we visited had great visibility. This is a really good place to get a birds eye view of Central Park. Also the view of the Empire State Building was fantastic - so dont forget your camera! There are 3 levels of viewing decks and you can take a really good picture from the top one looking down on your friends to the lower level. They do have seats up the top, so my tip is to choose a really lovely day and sit up there for a while enjoying the view.

We also went Ice Skating at the centre, because the Rockerfeller Christmas Tree lights had been lit the day before, there were a lot of people wanting to skate and just be around the tree. My suggestion is if you want to skate here go early!. We went in the afternoon and waited about 45 minutes to get onto the ice. Once on it was fantastic though! The rink in really small but the atmosphere was really fun. The rink is surrrounded by cafes, foodhalls and restaurants so if you dont feel like being energetic sit and have a coffee and watch. We witnessed a marriage proposal on the ice rink, which was really romantic, lucky she said yes with all those people watching.

The shopping at the Rock was great with lots of food shops, dress shops, gift shops, Nintendo World and more. This really was a fun place. We got the subway here.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

John D.'s legacy to New York City

by Jefie Updated Dec 15, 2007

Rockefeller Center, in New York City

In 1928, John D. Rockefeller Jr. acquired a piece of property on Fifth Avenue, hoping to build a new opera. When the 1929 stock market crash hit the country, John D. changed his mind and decided to build an immense complex consisting of 14 high-rise buildings (there are now 19 of them), thereby providing work to no less than 225,000 people during over 10 years.

Rockefeller Center is home to the Radio City Music Hall and NBC studios, among other things. It is also famous for its ice rink and Christmas tree, which they were setting up when we were there (and it was HUGE!). The beautiful Art Deco ensemble of buildings that make up the Center are quite photogenic, and each of them is graced with art work outside as well as inside. I only had time to walk around the Center this time around, but I plan on going back and hopefully go to the Top of the Rock (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com) and do the art and architecture tour (http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/index.php?v=nbunbcmktrct).

• Adventure Travel

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Bustling atmosphere all year round

by HotRodEtte Written Sep 8, 2007
    The skate pond, or in this case, the patio @ RC

During the summer, the plaza is filled with tables and tons of people eating, drinking & being merry. During the winter you will see the enormous Christmas tree, and the patio once filled with tables becomes a lovely ice skating pond. Great place to be during the holidays!

• Maggies's Profile Photo

ROCKEFELLER CENTER

by Maggies Updated Aug 2, 2007

Completed in late 1930s, it was the first complex integrating offices with shops, entertainment, dining and gardens. Alltogether is consists of 19 buildings. The ice rink at Rockefeller Plaza is a great place for ice skating in winter and becomes a cafe area in summer.

• toni28's Profile Photo

Rockefeller Center

by toni28 Updated Jun 24, 2007

Prometheus

Rockefeller Center is one of a must see experience especially at night for a dazzling light, and so early in the morning to witness the live scenes of “The Today Show”

Rockefeller was named after John Rockefeller Jr. glad that I learned this from our friend who is working in one of the co- owner of Rockefeller center. It was evening when we were around of this place, tired coz we just came from the tour of liberty island we don’t have strength to stroll around the 22 acres area of this place between 48th and 51st streets, we just stayed in the small park to take a rest and as well as to get a chance to take a pictures of the famous golden Prometheus, Atlas Statue and a minutes of walked around inside and outside of the GE building.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Rockefeller Center

by shohman Written Jun 18, 2007

ok, this really isn't my type of thing, but it is what it is. Rockefeller Center is definitely a landmark. The Today show is filmed there and in the Winter, they have the famous skating rink.
    My attention was caught but a very cool bar there called the Rink.
    Now THAT is my type of thing!

• jbabinski78's Profile Photo

Ice Skating

by jbabinski78 Written May 20, 2007

There's several things at Rockefeller center from shops to ice skating. I was just walking around and stumbled in this area a few times. You can also go on top of the rock (GE Building) and see a good glimpse of the various skyskrapers. I haven't done that though.

• BathRugby's Profile Photo

Tip top on top of The Rock

by BathRugby Updated Mar 29, 2007

We took the subway to 5th and 51st for the 'Top of the Rock' experience, which I'd bought tickets for the previous day, especially to see the sunset.

The friendly chap outside the lifts let the six of us in where we found a small but tasteful exhibition showing 'that' photo (the one where construction workers ate lunch 70 floors up on a girder!), and a chance to 'recreate' the shot, sat on our own girder with a false background.

Then it was off to another lift, and we were warned to look up. We needna't have been warned, because once the music started and the lights went down, your eyes were drawn upwards at the film show showing on the semi-opaque lift car ceiling, and beyond the film show the fairy-lit lift shaft showing our upwards progress!

All too soon our descent was over, and we ventured into the floor, seventy floors up. Big glass screens protect those with vertigo worries from the streets below, and we started taking snaps of the amazing view at our leisure. There were no crowds three-deep here; in fact although there were probably a hundred of us, such was the space that everybody had the same un-obstructed view of THE BEST scene in Manhattan. I say it's the best, because, unlike from the top of the ESB, you actually GET the ESB in your view.

My daughter and I ventured upstaits another two floors, where there were no glass screens, just the evening air and the distant sound of the busy streets below for company. I snapped away quite happily there for well over an hour, and came away with over two hundred fantastic photos of the New York skyline at dusk. Amazing!

There were similarly no queues to descend to street level, and each and every TOTR worker that we met on the way down personally thanked us for our visit. Now that's sterling service!

If you're stuck between TOTR and the ESB, there's NO contest for me. That view- phew!

• Museum Visits

• lubyatoo's Profile Photo

Proposing on Ice at Rockf. Center

by lubyatoo Written Feb 15, 2007

This is the IT place to propose your sweetheart on ice. I really don't know what the cost is, but I am sure you have to have a high limit on your credit card.

It's actually kind of lame, I would die of emberassment since I wouldn't like thousands of people watching me say yes to something that will bind me for the rest of my life.

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Go see Conan O'Brien- but no photos allowed

by Deborahtnc Written Jan 21, 2007

This is a fun thing to do if you have the time and patience.

PROS: THE BAND IS FANTASTIC. THE BAND IS UNBLEIEVABLE. SEE CIRCULAR BREATHING AT ITS BEST!
    You get to see Conan and other famous people.
    You will never watch the show again from the same viewpoint. You were there!

CONS: You have to call and call and CALL to get tickets (see # below). They will email you your ticket
    which you must take to Rockefeller Center (go upstairs) by 3:00pm of the day. Stand in line .They will then give you a pass. (If you don't get the ticket ahead of time, you can go to the Rock the day of the show, very early and get standby). After you get your pass you have to hang out until 4:15. We went and got tea and watched the skaters. At 4:15, you regroup at the foot of the stairs and wait in line again until they take you upstairs where you...you guessed it, stand in line some more in the hall. You cannot make noise as there are people working in offices nearby. It is HOT. You cannot sit down. Did I say it is Hot? Around 5:30 or so, they take you into the studio where you wait until every one else gets up the elevator ...and then it begins! I fell asleep during the commercial breaks...but then I am not as young as I used to be.

AM I GLAD I WENT? : Yes, definitely, my 21 year old daughter was thrilled.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN: Not on your life.

TIPS: Get there early you will get a better seat. Find the bathrooms on the main level. The web site below has upcoming schedule.

• Singles

• Conspirator's Profile Photo

Christmas at Rockefeller Center - BEWARE

by Conspirator Updated Jan 11, 2007

Ask New Yorkers what their most hated place in the city is, and many will say Times Square. Why? Because the place is the most godforsaken sh!tshow to walk through and the tourists who inhabit it in their tens of thousands have a lowest average IQ than those at any other tourist hotspot in the world ...

... EXCEPT around the Rockefeller Center at Christmas.

My God, how thousands of people can decide that taking a photo of neon snowflakes on the side of Saks is worth enduring a crawling, sucking human crush that has a life of its own is just beyond me.

And the tree ... I mean, big deal. OK, so it's pretty tall, and the lights are very nicely done, but it's just a damn TREE people!

Rockefeller Center Christmas denizens, I hate you all and intend to have a word to Kim Jong Il about deporting you all to North Korea.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

The Chrsitmas Tree at Rockefeller Center

by mikelisaanna Written Jan 6, 2007

The Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center

Every year in December, Rockefeller Center in New York puts up a huge Christmas tree that is decorated with thousands of lights. It is always a real tree, and stands watch over the Rockefeller Center ice skating rink during the Christmas season. Along the walkway leading to the tree, there are a number of pretty decorative angels to add additional beauty to the scene. Admission is free, and it can get crowded, especially on the night in early December when they light up the tree's lights for the first time.

• Nice place to visit at any time but be careful...

by travelgem1 Written Dec 30, 2006

Nice place to visit especially at Christmas time, worth a look & a stop during other seasons as well. Within walking distance of Central Park (about 1/2 mile - 10 blocks).

Tip: Warning - when the place gets very busy and crowded, it is a popular spot for pickpockets. Always keep your valuables in front pocket or zipped away. As with any place, don't leave your stuff unattended, even for a second.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Rockefeller Center
4.0 out of 5 stars