Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 406 Reviews

• Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island
    by Tijavi
  • Only old things to be seen
    Only old things to be seen "in real"
    by Turska
  • Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island
    by Turska
  • I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

A Symbol Of Hope And Freedom

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Written Apr 17, 2006
    Lady Liberty Welcomes Visitors

Lady Liberty, the icon of New York City... is also a symbol of political freedom and hope. In the last century, immigrants who came to their dreamland America was greeted by Miss Liberty, which standing in the Upper Bay with her torch.

Unveiled on October 28, 1886, the statue was designed by sculptor Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi with the engineering help of Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel. It was a gift from France to the United States as commemorating the two nations frendship and joint notions of liberty.

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

The Boat Ride

by IceBear7 Written Mar 24, 2006

On ferry from Battery Park to Statue of Liberty

An incredible NYC experience... the simple boat ride from Battery Park to the Statue of Liberty is kind of magical, you can only imagine the magic if you've done it yourself. The wonderful view to the skyscrapers of Manhattan - everybody is taking hundreds of photos... Then coming closer to the Staute of Liberty, you've seen it on TV, in pictures so many times, but it's such a beautiful moment to see it for real - you just have to take photos and photos again! Add to this the blue skies and the sunshine, it's one of the highlights of NYC!

• Cruise

• joits's Profile Photo

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

by joits Written Mar 22, 2006
    The lady herself...

The Statue of Liberty is probably New York's most famous monument and it's a must see. As you've probably guessed by now, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island can both be visited when you purchase tickets. The ferry passes the Statue of Liberty first and then Ellis Island.

Statue of Liberty, I have to admit, is a bit smaller than I expected, but it is still an amazing sight. Watch out for pigeons and their droppings, there are a ton of them here.

Ellis Island is a bit more of a museum but it's still interesting nonetheless. You'll learn all kinds of facts about the whole immigration experience in the past and what they had to experience. You'll spend most of the time indoors here so it's a welcome break from the cold.

If you visit these places in the winter... bundle up! It's not only cold, but it's very very windy as well! If you are travelling on the ferry it's especially cold if you stay on the open upper deck. If it gets too cold, then you can head downstairs to warm up.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• CandS's Profile Photo

by CandS Updated Mar 18, 2006

Me at the Statue of Liberty

What New York page would be complete without something about the Statue of Liberty...

We visited the Statue of Liberty while we were in New York City like most other visitors do. We caught the metro to South Ferry and bought our ferry tickets (US$11.50 each) then we lined up for a long while to catch the ferry. The ferry was packed (as was every other one we saw) and the trip seemed to take a while but we got some great views of Manhattan and the green lady along the way.

Once we got to the island we had a look around and took the usual photos before heading back. Apparently they sell tickets to go inside the Statue of Liberty but only a certain number each day and these were sold out before we got to the ticket booth (and we were there fairly early)...so if you want to go inside make sure you go extra early to get your tickets!

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• PetraG's Profile Photo

Ellis Island

by PetraG Written Mar 7, 2006

Ellis Island

Ellis Island was incorporated as part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument on May 11, 1965. Between 1892 and 1954, approximately 12 million steerage and third class steamship passengers, who entered the United States through the port of New York, were legally and medically inspected at Ellis Island. Reopened on September 10, 1990 after a massive restoration, the Main Building on Ellis Island is now a museum dedicated to the history of immigration and the important role this island claimed during the mass migration of humanity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Park Hours - Ellis Island: 9:30am - 5:15pm.
    The park is open daily except Dec. 25th. There is no entrance fee to Ellis Island.

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Definition of "find a hot hand drier"!

by sugarpuff Updated Feb 10, 2006

Even these gloves couldn't keep the cold out!

Well some people come to famous cities to see the famous sites, taste the famous foods and hopefully see some famous people, and although I was hoping to do all three of the above things, one thing which I found to be VERY important throughout the day, was to find a good hand drier, because when you have circulation as bad as mine..you're going to NEED it!!!!!

When we were waiting at the Ferry Terminal to go across to the Statue of Liberty I was in immense pain...it felt like the blood had literally been drained out of my hands and my fingers were on the verge of dropping off. Fortunately the toilets had a good hand drier and after a few minutes of glorious bliss, they were back to normal. I feel this should go under a 'first aid' tip as it really did save my life that day! You could find me on and off for the rest of the day frequently hopping in and out of the toilets for a bit of hot air!!! Please remember this tip, it will prove very useful I promise!

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo

Statue of Liberty..find a hot hand drier!

by sugarpuff Updated Feb 10, 2006

Im almost as big as you are!!!!

We were right at the south of the island so seeing as the weather was good thought we would take this opportunity to jump on the ferry which would take us to the Statue of Liberty. Now I had read on a few VTers pages that I needed to take the ferry to Staten Island. So when i went to the ferry terminal I was a little confused. But I was told that I didnt need to take that ferry as yes I would still see the Statue but it wouldnt take me anywhere near enough to be able to get off and walk around it. The ferry I needed to take instead was the one going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...obviously!!! This cost $12 and if you got there at a certain time you were given an Observatory Tour for free.

This includes:
    Ranger Tour through Statue of Liberty Museum.
    Ranger presentation from top of pedestal with insider's view of the
    Statue of Liberty.
    Harbour views from observation decks.
    Ranger programmes, harbour views, Statue views and photo
    opportunites on Fort Wood Promenade.

The ticket is only valid for the day you buy the pass and when we went, there was a time limit which was from 1345-1445. We unfortunately were not there for those times so didnt get to see the Ranger Tour...but we had fun walking around the base of the Statue of Liberty, popping into the souvenir shops and taking a million and one photographs!

• pakistanibrain's Profile Photo

Early morning

by pakistanibrain Written Feb 7, 2006

The statue of liberty

if you intend to visit the Statue of Liberty during the summer months (July/August) you gotta wake up very early. That's because only those who catch the first ferry in the morning (8 AM) will be allowed to the top (the crown). After that you can just go as high as the platform around the feet of "Lady Liberty".

• Architecture

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

by dejavu2gb Written Jan 13, 2006

One of the most famous statues in the world, and a very enduring symbol of New York is the Statue of Liberty.
    The origin of the statue can be traced back to a Parisian Dinner Party in 1865 where a group of intellectuals gathered in the house of activist Edouard Rene Lefebvre de Laboulaye to discuss ways to promote French Republicanism. The thought of building a monument honoring the American conecption intrigued sculptor Frederic-August Bartholdi or turning the dream into a reality.

The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are a 15-minute ferry ride from Battery Park, and attract over 2 million visitors annually. Many more tourists take the boatride for the spectacular view of Manhattan.

Please note that there will be a few thousand other people also wanting to see the statue on the day, so if you want to avoid the crowds, you should get there early to make the most of it.

Ferries leave every 30 minutes between 9am - 5pm with extended hours in the summertime.
    The ferryride will cost about $11.50 for adults and $4.50 for children

(Apologies for my pictures, the ferries were all full by the time I got there, so I never got to go to the statue, but I still managed to take some pics from the Battery Park)

• dawnandash's Profile Photo

What a ride

by dawnandash Written Dec 27, 2005

Liberty Helicoptor

We Caught a cab from Times Square, to Liberty Helicoptors, We had booked our tickets in advance, $160.00 each, for a 12 min ride, After giving our passport details and putting our belonging in a locker, we had a short wait, then our names were called, after watching a short video on saftey we jumped into helicoptor, and WOW, we took of so quick, then sights were just breath-taking, We went over the Statue of Liberty, Then over New York City, Then over concorde, ( On the ground ), Over Brooklyn bridge, and then, back down, short ride, but what a rush, We loved this and would recommend to anyone looking for something different.

• Disabilities

• Statue of Liberty

by caelle Written Dec 23, 2005

A must visit place of interest!!

"The Statue of Liberty National Monument officially celebrated her 100th birthday on October 28, 1986. The people of France gave the Statue to the people of the United States over one hundred years ago in recognition of the friendship established during the American Revolution. Over the years, the Statue of Liberty's symbolism has grown to include freedom and democracy as well as this international friendship."
    Source: http://www.statueofliberty.org/

• School Holidays

• Martin_H's Profile Photo

by Martin_H Written Nov 29, 2005

You can't really visit New York without seeing the Statue of Liberty. To get a good view for free take the Staten Island Ferry and you'll sail right past. To visit Liberty Island you need to queue reasonably early (a problem for us) at the ticket booth in Battery Park. The number of tickets is limited, get there too late and you will only be able to wander round the island. The ferry route takes in Ellis Island and also goes to New Jersey which may be a better place to start from with a shorter line/queue if you can get there easily.

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Boat Tours Around the Statue of Liberty

by mydreamquest Updated Nov 25, 2005

Here I am in front of Lady Liberty

Because I didn't want to wait in lines to actually get on the island, where the Statue of Liberty is, I opted instead to take a $20, one hour boat tour that gets you close to the Statue and Ellis Island and provides information on them too.

Here I am in front of this beautiful statue, and symbol of American Freedom. There was a bride and groom taking pictures on this boat tour, and the groom took the other picture (see additional pictures) of my father and I.

If you look at the statue, you should see people as you can go inside the statue and climb up many stairs all the way to the crown on her head.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• mart8777's Profile Photo

Visit Statue Of Liberty

by mart8777 Updated Nov 5, 2005
    Statue Of Liberty Island

Given as a present from France, it was originally brown but turned a pleasant green. In October (1994) there were less visitors at that time of year, and you could climbe up inside the statue to the top.
    Due to security it is only possible to view from below now, hard luck, but you are given an excellent introduction.
    This is what greets you as you sail into view on your Queen Mary cruise ? or the Ellis Island boat trip.

• Ellis Island

by PontusSweden Written Oct 23, 2005

This place is amazing, it left me with great impressions. The museum is really good and it's very interesting to read about the immigrants. Specially I found it interesting to read about the Swedes and see the pics. Well worth the visit!!

Instant Answers: New York City