Central Park, New York City

by jessicadf
  • clareabee's Profile Photo

Horse and Carriage rides in Central Park

by clareabee Written Dec 7, 2009

Ok so I am not a local but I am a tourist....I would stay away from these like the plague. The poor horses look exhausted and in my opinion worked to the bone (well they were thankgiving day) They are very expensive and you don;t get to see a great deal of the park......and who wants a blanket on their knee a million other people have!

Fun Alternatives: OK so if you want to go to the park and have a tour use one of the guys on the bikes - a ton cheaper and they actually get paid to do it (what do the horses get out of it in all honesty?)
    They will stop if you want to take a picture. Great experience.

• MZK's Profile Photo

The Famous Restaurant Tavern on the Green

by MZK Updated Sep 22, 2008

It is definitely a tourist trap in my opinion. If you would like to have a good meal outdoors try The Boathouse which overlooks the lake in Central Park: the food is decent although still on the pricy side and the view is beautiful. It is a great destination for a special ocassion. Beats Tavern on the Green for sure!

You can also seat yourself in the more casual bar area to the side of the Boathouse and just have drinks and appetizers, which is something I often do when I meet friends there.

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Horse and Cart rides Central Park

by astro_kerryn Updated Mar 20, 2007
    Horsies waiting for you!

We have all seen them in the hollywood movies, the horse and cart rides around Central Park. Whilst I would have actually liked to see Central Park this way, the US$40 was a bit much for me on a backpackers budget. Not so much a tourist trap, as something you could afford to do, and should, if you are with someone else, or a group and some bottles of good wine!

Unique Suggestions: Take good wine, and cash!

Fun Alternatives: Walk!

• National/State Park
    • Horse Riding

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

'Artists' and Vendors around Central Park

by shutterlust Written Jun 4, 2006

Not necessarily just the ones around Central Park, but they're the one who profit so well off of tourists. Use your common sense. Don't be drawn in by flattery from these so called artists and vendors who negotiate prices to have your portrait sketched. They will almost always suggest a low price before, and then ask for a higher price after. You will almost certainly lose money by paying attention to these vendors. Mind you, they're professionals, so buyer beware!

Unique Suggestions: Haggle all prices, never agree to the suggested price, always walk away if you feel you're being bullied into a purchase or if the vendor appears overly aggressive to make a sale.

Fun Alternatives: Stand aside and laugh as other people get sucked into the touristy madness.

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Tavern on the Green

by meaganelizabeth Written Aug 14, 2005

Cheers!

Pretty outside, but the food is terrible. The decor is even worse. No one in New York will go to this place. I find it terrible that when visiting somewhere touristy, you can never really find good food in the area. They don't have to try becuase they will always have traffic, and don't have to show the tourists a great time or meal. Do some research, and help keep the real places open.

Unique Suggestions: Please, New York has so many restaurants to offer, stay away from Restaurants like Tavern on the Green, or anything on Restaurant Row, which is 46th street. I understand it is near the theatres, but there are many options. For a great meal near the theatres, try Thalia on 40th and 8th. Try Ruby Foos. Try Zen Palate, on 47th and 9th.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• mariquita's Profile Photo

Central Park

by mariquita Written Jun 18, 2003

I had read and seen so many good things about this park, that I couldn't help but be extremely disappointed when I realised it is just a large park with nothing special at all and crossed by several roads full of traffic.

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Buggy rides through Central Park

by jessicadf Written May 20, 2003

Horse and carriage @ Central Park

Maybe it's not a tourist trap? It just seems to canned that I think of it that way. As I was passing these carts with a friend, not a romantic partner, neither of us were terribly interested in goin for a buggy ride.

They do ooze romance though, don't they?

• cherylzyx's Profile Photo

If you are walking through...

by cherylzyx Written Aug 25, 2002

If you are walking through Central Park and one of the guys with a carriage walks up to you and asks, 'Do you want to meet my horse?', that really means, 'Will you pay me to take you for a ride?' We learned the hard way. But in our defense, in Oklahoma, if someone asks if you want to meet their horse, it means they have a four legged creature with a tail that they would like to introduce you to.

• joncampbell's Profile Photo

As we were in a silly mood, we...

by joncampbell Written Aug 25, 2002

As we were in a silly mood, we then went to this place in Central Park. It was about £5 sterling for a lemonade! What the hell were we thinking? Do not go here! I cant remember the name but the animal shaped hedges will give it away!

• jill_archer's Profile Photo

Central park an escape from...

by jill_archer Written Aug 25, 2002

Central park an escape from the noisey city.
    There is everything in the park,skating, walking, jogging, iceskating and people watching

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels