Gray Line - Greyhound, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

• Gray Line - Greyhound
    by Chris_Louise
  • mariahc1's Profile Photo

Grayline New York Sightseeing Tours

by mariahc1 Updated Apr 7, 2011

We used the Grayline Sightseeing Tour services on both of our trips to New York City. It is a really great way to see the city especially if you are travelling on a budget. The All Loops Tour which was only $60 for adults was great because the ticket was valid for 3 days. A tourist can get a lot of information on buildings and sights since there is an experienced tour guide explaining practically everything. Moreover, if you are interested in getting off the bus to explore a landmark better, you can do it and then take the next one coming and continue your tour. That is really great for a tourist since there are so many things to explore in New York City so being able to see all of them collected in one tour saves you time and money. Our ticket was valid from morning till evening so we were able to also do the last tour (a little before 21:00) which went to Brooklyn. It was lovely to see the Manhattan lights from the bridge. We would definitely recommend Grayline City Tours for a tourist who wishes to see all of NY.

• Photography

• daryll's Profile Photo

Grayline Sightseeing

by daryll Updated Apr 4, 2011

The famous red bus tour

Grayline sightseeing is a good choice for those coming to New York for the first time and yet had little time to explore.

If you get 3 day ticket which cost USD 110 per person not only includes advance ticket to Empire State and Cruise to Statue of Liberty but 3 day allows you to hop on hop off bus all the major attraction.

• SailorRoar's Profile Photo

If you have limited time

by SailorRoar Written Apr 18, 2008

Empire state building (2007)

Graylines Sightseeing buses are a great way to travel if you have limited time in New York, and want to see the sights. They are guided tour busses that run several loops on and around Manhattan. They stop at most major tourist attractions, where you can jump off, see the sights and jump on the next one if you want. They run about 15 minutes appart. A lot of people write them of as tourist traps, but New York City is a big city, so even if it is easy to navigate, and have a great subway system it takes a lot of research to be able to move around on your own. So unless you allready know your way around NYC, it is very easy and relaxing to be driven from one sight to another. In addition you will get a lot of information that you, wouldn't get walking around on your own. Specially restaurant tips are allways a good idea to get from the locals.

• denna's Profile Photo

Greyline Tour

by denna Written Aug 22, 2007

I didn't plan to take any tour in nyc as i thought i have plenty of time.i was wrong. went to my hotle reception as asked them for suggestion and they suggest the greyline. for $48, you can take a 2 days tour of nyc.i think it's quite reasonable if you don't have much time. unless you have 2 weeks to spend in nyc,then do not take any tour. this is hop on and off bus and you can spend as much time as you like at any o fthe stop and hop to the next bus. i think suits the elderly as well as children

• Seniors

• Bus Tour

by lefty1 Updated Jul 17, 2007

On my last visit to New York I took the Gray Line Bus Tour. There are other New York City bus tours, but I'm just writing about the one I took.

Overall, this is a great way to see Manhattan, especially if you don't know your way around. A 2-day tour package gives you unlimited travel to see most of the major tourist sights in Manhattan, and includes a Brooklyn loop. A tour guide tells you where you are and what to look for. Buses are generally much slower than the subway, but the tours are intelligently laid out in terms of covering the maximum area in the least amount of time. Even though I know Manhattan pretty well, I enjoyed the trips. We took the upgraded version of the tour, which included tickets to the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

A couple of minor caveats: The tour guides get very upset if you talk at all during the tour; even if you keep your conversation quiet. And a tip is expected for each 'leg' of the tour. $2 should be acceptable

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Grayline

by jamiesno Written Apr 20, 2007
    Sightseeing salesman

Sightseeing NY

If you are walking around New York City in Time Square in particular and want to see the rest of the city you will see guys around like this guy selling tickets on Greyline Tours.

I was already on a tour so I never tried it and I can tell you New York is not a place were you can walk end to end in a hurry. This is probably a good idea to get your bearings and then head back to where you might like to spend more time.

• Flem2002's Profile Photo

One way to see the sights

by Flem2002 Written Jan 31, 2007

My friend isn't very good at walking long distances, so we found the answer to sightseeing was to get a Gray Line bus ticket. The open top buses make different loops around Manhatten and stop at all the major sights, operating a hop on, hop off policy.

We were able to buy a 3 day ticket and pretty much spent all our time covering the vastness of Manhatten from Harlem right down to Brooklyn (the tickets include a night loop across the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn and back). There is commentary from the guides on board the bus (which can be a bit annoying, although you learn some interesting facts) and the bus driver slows down for good photo opportunities.

Gray Line also operate other tours, such as the trip to the Woodbury Common Outlet Shopping, Niagara and Philadelphia.

• Chris_Louise's Profile Photo

Gray Line - Hop On Hop Off Bus Passes

by Chris_Louise Written Sep 7, 2005

Cruising On The Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour

A MUST for anyone who wants a cheap and convenient way to see everything in NYC. If the routes dont take you exactly where you want to go it will get you close enough to it to walk. We saw everything that we wanted to due to this and saved plenty using these passes to get to restaurants and doing general shopping.

$49US each for 48 hours or $100US each for 72 hours with heaps of extras. Cheap at twice the price.

• Architecture
    • Adventure Travel
    • Theater Travel

• Acirfa's Profile Photo

Greyline Buses

by Acirfa Written Sep 7, 2005

Aboard a Greyline

This is a great way to get around New York City. For a Hop On, Hop Off ticket, Adult $49 (approx £27) for two days and you can take a tour around Uptown, Downtown, Brooklyn and a Night tour or just hop on and off at the stops you wish to visit. It is great value and easy to use. A tour guide on board to give you all the info of the areas and offer help and guidance to where you want to get to. Brilliant.

• deadites's Profile Photo

Greyhound

by deadites Written Jul 28, 2004

This is another method I have used to get to New York City. My preferred ride (since there are several buses a day departing Montreal to NYC) is the midnight bus that arrives in NYC at 7:30am.. You sleep through most of the trek, however, there's not as much room as there is on the train, and despite pulling into Albany at 3am, the bus sure seems to pack up even more!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Take a tour on a bus

by jessicadf Written May 20, 2003

Look at them!  I bet their feet don't hurt.

I suppose you could take a tour bus through the city. I didn't opt for this though. I preferred to walk around and experience things from a street level. Of course I had such wonderful guides in my VT friends, Cjg1 and Tamirros. Those who haven't found VT are so unlucky!

• mafootje's Profile Photo

The best way to get to New...

by mafootje Written Aug 25, 2002

The best way to get to New York is by Bus.
    Driving in New York is an Art...mm i mean it's an earth to keep on movin and not getting your car dented..It might be smarter to by a metro card and use that to get around..it's a lot faster.

• We took the Greyhound bus to...

by Aphrodite21 Written Aug 25, 2002

We took the Greyhound bus to New York from Toronto but you can also go by plane and there are also trains that go there.
    The subway of course. Before New York I had only ever been on the Toronto subway so when I saw a map of New York's I couldn't believe my eyes. It is so big and it's got so many lines. The good thing though is that there are signs everywhere. Sometimes it's even easier to walk underground when you're lost because the signs will point you to the right way. At times it seems like a maze under there though. We were trying to find the N & R line one night and we were going left, right, up, down, etc. It must've taken us 10 min to walk there. I would advise you to get a map once you're there. Also pay careful attention to whether the train is going uptown or downtown because the signs aren't always that clear regarding that.
    We got a one week pass for $17 but there are also day passes available for $4. We did get lost a few times but we were getting to know it pretty well near the end of our trip.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Great Tour of a Great City

by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 14, 2006

Grey Line Bus Tour

Bus tour was brilliant - a great way to see all the major attractions we took a day tour which included all entrance fees & lunch
    This was a great experience

• hflier's Profile Photo

Take the Gray Line from the...

by hflier Updated Aug 25, 2002

Take the Gray Line from the airport. Make the reservation via the internet.
    Take a metro and bus card for the duration of your total stay

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels