Port Authority Bus Terminal, New York City

42nd and 8th Avenue

Know about this? Rate It!

• Port Authority Bus Terminal
    by johngayton
    by mht_in_la
    Big, dirty, Steel Erection!!
    by weewatty
  • Greyhound Bus from NYC

by rehmanazhar Written May 15, 2012

Bus travel is the cheapest option available when it comes to price. I have been traveling a lot in and out of New York. Everytime, I look for frequency of departures and the availibility of cheap fares at different times.
    One should not jump to conclusions, the first time something happens. Experience differs everytime you travel. I have used greyhound bus service a couple of times and I just wanted to narrate what my exprience was.
    To start with the staff at Port Authority terminal is really rude. They are not usually willing to help. They just keep directing you in one direction or the other. They are really slow at information desks and ticket counters. There are long lines at any given time. Once, I had to wait for 40 minutes in a queue just to get my ticket's time changed. There was only one person during a rush hour ( 4 pm) at Port Authority that is suppoesdly the busiest terminal they have. Further adding to the misery, when I was there, the one dealing at that time was really slow. He was constantly talking on the phone or with other colleagues who were just standing there, doing nothing. When some people waiting in the queue complained, he said he cannot be fast enough and he was no 'super man'.
    Drivers are not friendly at all. I saw a man standing outside with his luggage but the driver won't open the door because he was one minute late. You do not see usually see rules over-ruling like that especially when you are traveling. Companies should be accomodating and flexible for their customer service.
    Some of the charges are really stupid for example their ticket change fee. Their web ticket from NYC to Hartford, CT is 17 dollars. I had to change its time ( to the next hour ) and I paid 15 dollars just for the change of time. For an hour's difference and same day it seems ridiculous as a charge. It is almost the same amount as you would pay for a new ticket.

The buses arrive usually late ( 15 to 30 minutes ) from the appointed hour that makes the service unreliable in case you are packed on schedule.

In terms of quality of service, comfort and staff attitude, my experience hasn't been pleasant. Others might disagree.

• Work Abroad

• Port Authority Bus Terminal: Be Afraid

by peach93 Updated Feb 23, 2010

The Port Authority Bus Terminal, located just outside of Times Square, might be a convenient hub for people traveling in and out of the city by bus if only the Port Authority put a bit of effort into keeping the facility up. On a recent visit, my daughter and I arrived at the Terminal via subway to find all of its television information screens inoperative and information kiosks shuttered. Not a lone employee was available to help us (or anyone else) locate the bus we were supposed to be on. We wandered around looking for someone to ask, until finally a homeless man who had been napping on the floor kindly directed us to the correct level of the building.

As nice as this was, when we arrived on the right floor we were greeted by an irritable tangle of travelers, duffles and suitcases in tow, all jostling one another for places in line to board any number of buses, none of whose names or route numbers were readily apparent. After searching, again in vain, for someone to help us we ended up getting on the wrong bus, which was actually going to the right place, but arriving two hours later than we needed to be there, thus causing us to miss a vital connection--all in all making for a rather unpleasant and stressful traveling experience: someone had to come pick us up in the middle of the night an hour's drive away from where we live.

I have traveled to several countries, often alone, where I had never been and sometimes didn't speak the language, never once encountering the kind of trouble I did at the Port Authority trying to locate a simple bus. And while I'm willing to concede that my experience here may have been out of the ordinary, I think it's wise for anyone planning to use the Terminal to be aware of these things as potential problems and plan accordingly, perhaps by calling their bus company and getting the information through them ahead of time. The Port Authority does have a Web site (link below) but that, too, lacks any sort of truly useful travel information, other than a map of the building, which doesn't really tell you much except where to find retail stores and bathrooms.

Those using the Port Authority Bus Terminal should also be aware that, in addition to being confusing, the entire facility seems to be filth-ridden, dilapidated and just downright yucky, regardless of how the photos on its Web site make it appear. Try not to touch anything, and bring hand sanitizer in case you accidentally do. Pray to your favorite deity, too, that your bus isn't located on the underground level of the building (which doubles as an ideal location to film a zombie flick). Cell phones don't work down there!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The World's Busiest Bus Terminal

by johngayton Updated Dec 25, 2009

This is a place that amazes me - The Port Authority Bus Terminal on 8th Avenue, between 40th and 42nd Streets, claims to be the busiest bus terminal in the world. On an average day there will be upwards of 7,000 buses carrying 200,000 passengers using the terminal.

Buses from here cover most local commuter routes as well as many upstate destinations and is especially useful for New Jersey transport. Around 5 pm on a weekday evening the 2 mile bus-only ramp connection to the Lincoln tunnel will be a solid mass of buses.

What I find really fascinating is just how organised it all is. Buses depart from "gates" which allow easy loading, information boards are user-friendly, the information booth, though a little curt, provides the necessary advice and instructions. In all, the whole thing works very well.

• depinski's Profile Photo

Port Authority

by depinski Written Aug 26, 2008

The buses to and from the Port Authority are very convenient. You can get to many surrounding cities at a very reasonable price. I took one in from Rockland County and it cost me 8 bucks. Got to see a pretty nice surrounding area that is much different from the city; quiet and green.
    The information staff are helpful and buses run regularly. The Port Authority is right downtown New York close to several rail lines.

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

by mht_in_la Written Jul 30, 2004
    Port Authority Bus Terminal

This is Port Authority Bus Terminal. When I visited NYC this is where I took the bus back to New Jersey every night. After running around the city for 13, 14 straight hours I was usually exhausted.

Port Authority Bus Terminal is conveniently located on 42nd and 8th. It's within walking distance to Time Square, Broadway, Madison Sq Garden, and many other NYC attractions. And it's right next to Lincoln Tunnel so the buses to New Jersay just enter straight into the tunnel without having to negotiate the city traffic.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

Port Authority

by nicolettart Updated May 10, 2004

If you are in Hoboken(New Jersey), the best and quickest way to get here is by catching the Apple bus to the Port Authority. It costs 2 dollars and will drop you off at the Port Authority, 42nd Street. This is midtown and an easy to walk to Broadway shows and other sights.

• weewatty's Profile Photo

The Authority

by weewatty Written Apr 28, 2004

Big, dirty, Steel Erection!!

One ugly mutha of a Building is the Port Authority Bus Terminal but inside it is a bustling, well organised and huge Bus Terminal. A hub for getting out of Manhattan.

We found ourselves here often, got the bus to the Woodbury Common Outlet Mall from here and laso to the Giants Stadium for the soccer match we went along to.

But look at the photo and you will see how to build one of the ugliest buildings i have had the privelage of clapping my eyes on!!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels