Safety Tips in New York City

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in New York City

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Aggressive costumed beggers

by apbeaches Written Jul 7, 2014

In Times Square, amid the dozens of Statues of Liberty, Elmos, Mickey Mouses and superheroes who work the crowds for loose bills, new costumed Monk characters have come to seek their fortunes. These Chinese men with shaved heads, beatific smiles and flowing robes offer wishes of peace and a shiny amulet, they solicit $20 donations from passers-by, often reinforcing their pitch by showing a picture of a temple for which the money seems to be intended. Then they open a notebook filled with the names of previous donors and the amounts given. 7/6/14 NYT indicates that they are not associated with any group or temple and are beggars.

Our local news indicates some of these street performers are aggressive and have been arrested for behaving inappropriately in front of children and attacking tourists. Without the masks some have been identified as sexual predators.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Check your hotel's location

by solopes Updated Dec 22, 2013

Our package program said "Two nights in New York". We slept two nights not far from New York (in American scale, very far in Portuguese scale), but as a matter of fact, in New Jersey State. And, sleeping in New Jersey can be a good or bad solution, depending on your program. As you may see in my Newark page, I had a very good experience with that kind of solution, when I was coming from inland, needing to take a plane in Newark Airport and with a very short time to be in New York.

However, this time, I was coming from Europe, expecting to have some free time in New York, and we didn’t. We followed the straight program of the package, and were moved more than 25km outside NY, to Saddle Brook, far from everything. Next time I’ll check it more carefully.

Saddle Brook - USA (hotel
    • Architecture

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Hop on hop off buses-some issues

by albaaust Updated Jun 25, 2013

If it is raining you could find yourself on a bus where there is no cover. They will provide you with a yellow raincoat but you will still be at the mercy of wind and cold rain.This photo is taken at the back where there was no cover only at the front.

Beware…if you have a hop on hop off bus pass and you are hoping to catch a bus before bewitching hour (around 5.30pm or later )you may not get on as all the seats might be taken and they will not allow you on if you have to stand!!!

• Photography

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Avoid Toys R Us on Saturdays

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 18, 2011

Unless you like to be packed in like a sardine and have plentry of patience, avoid this store on Saturday. It is packed to the gills and is absolutely no fun with that many people. On other days, it's well worth the trip. It is a fabulous store.

Toyrs R Us

• GOAIRLINKNYC IS A SCAM

by oznztofro Written Jul 17, 2010

I was preparing to book a shuttle to take my to jfk so i can get my flight to montreal.

I googled shuttles & i found this site

Before i clicked the submit button i found the page did not have a a padlock and entering details on a site without a padlock is a dumb thing to do

So i googled the company & i had found many reports of people getting ripped off & missing their flight

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

bad food

by iam1wthee Updated May 22, 2010

Some restaurants do not serve good food after 10pm. This includes some of the famous ones. I've been working night shifts for the past 8 years in midtown and 4 years near wall street. Be careful; it is like playing russian roulette. Sometimes you eat here and it is fine other times you eat there and it is like they give you dog food. Sometimes the food looks normal and smells ok but after you eat it your stomach starts hurting, you throw up and get diahrea at the same time. Most of the 24 hour restaurants will give better quality than those closing at 10pm or 12am. Try to order 2 hours before closing time to ensure that you are getting what you order.

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Exhibitionist Hotel

by iam1wthee Updated May 16, 2010

The Standard Hotel is made entirely of glass and many guests are often nude. Sometimes guests do not close the curtain when they are doing things that most do in private. It is located around a park near the Hudson River at 848 Washington at West 13th Street.

If you are conservative and/or traveling with small children this may be an area that you may want to reconsider.

Otherwise this could be an alternative to an x rated movie that one can see for free.

I am not sure how long this will last because some people have complained and the hotel does encourage guests to draw the curtains.

• INFORMATION YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE

by Notcounterfeit Updated Aug 16, 2009

After reading all the horse manure the idiots were leaving on this board ("don't come you'll fall in love with it" or "stay away from hollis, queens!"), I decided to give you tourists the info you will actually need; you obviously won't be going to hollis unless you want to watch steel rot. You WILL be going to manhattan.

This city is perfectly safe, and there's a few precautions to take at late hours if you want to be close to 100%:

Thank me later.

- When walking after 9 PM, take major streets crosstown instead of side streets. As a guide, use Houston, 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, 57th, 72nd, 79th, 86th. There's always people walking, even at 4 AM.

- Subways are safe at night. You will never be completely alone on a platform ANYWHERE in manhattan. Just stick to where people are.

- DO NOT get into a confrontation with cops for ANY reason. The NYPD are fond of making things up to arrest people they don't like(even more so if you are not white). Then it's your problem when you spend 12 hours in booking. If you are apprehended for ANYTHING (being loud, loitering, being drunk)- just apologize nicely to the jackass and be on your way.

- Be VERY wary when going to Chelsea's warehouse district at night. There has been violent crime against clubgoers, sexual assaults against women, even a bouncer charged with murder. If going, avoid drugs and DO NOT get into arguments with patrons- some are armed.

- The streets in the "flatiron" district and vicinity in midtown are almost entirely deserted at night (not common in manhattan). At night, avoid Broadway between 23rd and 34th streets, and all the side streets(24th-32nd, between 6th avenue and Broadway).

- Enjoy the city before the yuppies ruin what's left of it.

• School Holidays

• csordila's Profile Photo

Jet lag, or there is a morning in the evening

by csordila Updated Mar 21, 2009

Category: Airplane

The more time zones you cross, the more you will suffer from jet lag. You gain time flying eastward and you lose time in the backward direction. This causes a syndrome, which is not else than a disturbance in your internal clock.

Some things you can do to avoid, or at least to reduce the unpleasantly sleepy symptoms :
    Take many liquids during all the time of the flight. The consumption of mineral water or juice is highly recommended, even if you are not thirsty. The humidity of the air in the planes is very low!! After landing switch your clock to the local time as soon as possible, and never let disturb yourself of what is the time now at home.
    If may be, try to fly by plane landing late afternoon. If you arrive in the morning try not to sleep until the local sleep time; it facilitates your conversion.

Another frequent complaint is that the foot swells up , an oedema take shape on the ankle. Many people hardly can get off because of this. Important, that you let move the limbs repeatedly, and be strolling on the board.

• Karen10019's Profile Photo

NYPD

by Karen10019 Written Nov 16, 2008

Under no circumstance believe you can trust the police in this town. if you argue, they will beat you and arrest you. if you drink too much, they will beat you and arrest you.. basically, do not come to this city and think that you can act like you do at home and talk your way out of it. no... no way. Avoid any interaction with police . they look for any reason to arrest and yes, you will sit in jail for 3 days. the courts are 24 hours, but processing is long.

NY'ers feel, if you are stupid enough to get arrested, then you deserve it. you will get no sympathy.

sorry for the negative vibe, but now you know and you can't say no one told you.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Don't leave a meal for the seagulls

by jo104 Updated Oct 9, 2008

While waiting for the ferry to Ellis Island we chose to find the New York equivalent of Mr Whippy. Unfortunately the kiosk was only serving frozen youghurt which you could have in any flavour as long as you chose either chocolate or vanilla.

On Liberty Island there is a kiosk as well as the crown cafe which serves a range of food, although I only tended to see the unhealthy number of burgers & fries on the tables.

The warning is for those people who chose to eat outside on the patio area, there is a posse of the most aggressive seagulls I've seen just waiting to get their beaks into your meal. These birds are not shy in coming forward either and in some cases they did not wait for sloppy seconds. So do be on your guard and also remember to dispose of unwanted food and rubbish items in the trash bins.

The alternative is bring a picnic or takeaway to eat elsewhere on the island

Just waiting for a piece of the action

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Pre-book your theatre tickets!

by Jenniflower Written Sep 2, 2008

We love attending the theatre in London, whether at the West end or at local theatres, and so were dead keen to see some theatre on Broadway!

The show we hoped to see was Wicked! Rave reviews!

We went to the theatre to make a booking, but the chap there said there were no tickets left for the next week… so we thought we’d try our luck with the concierge at our hotel, and he happily told us he could get us tickets, for $320 (!!!), which included his and the broker’s commission (and a few people imbetween I am sure!)…

So you guessed it, we never got to see a show on Broadway. Next time.

• Festivals
    • Theater Travel

Credit card cloning!

by Jenniflower Written Aug 31, 2008

When we went up the Empire State Building we initially thought we'd go to the second highest level, but when we got there, we decided to go to the very top, so had to get further tickets.

I had cash but the staff there insisted on a credit card payment. Not happy to do this as we weren't locals, but we had no choice, and they swiped my credit card.

This proved a bad move though as a couple hours later we realised my card was cloned!!! Of course, we did not know if it was here that it was done, or at our hotel, where it had been swiped too.

Our bank from the UK's fraud team had been trying to call me a couple of times, and of course my mobile was off as we were gallivanting!

2 issues.

Issue 1: My card was swiped in New York, and I live in London and had never been to New York before, and had not told them I'd be travelling.

Issue 2: My card was on a list of cards been/being cloned.

It took a $70 phone call to the fraud team in Britain to appease them that it was I who had used the card that day, but as they said my card number was on a list of cards been/being cloned, and they stopped the card immediately.

They also said I should let them know when I travel again as a precautionary measure.

I am well impressed with my bank, and will definately let the know when we are going abroad in the future!!!

Airport passenger scam!

by Jenniflower Written Aug 26, 2008

We were surprised when we saw the German family come off the plane, and this time the mother was in a wheelchair! She had walked around the flight fine, with no complaints.

And at the airport she suddenly needed a wheelchair. We were shocked!

Another huge flight from Asia had arrived at the same time as us, so there were 2 huge flights to get through customs, you can imagine the long queue! We were in it for nearly 3 hours.

But this family who were such trouble on the flight, got through it immediately, with the use of a wheelchair.

What to do in this kind of situation though? Nothing. Was just an eye opener of how some impatient people dodge queues. Not very fair I think!

Flying into NY
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

You May Be Fined If You Sit Here Without A Child

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Aug 18, 2008

9/28/05

I just read this on the Drudge Report:
    Woman Ticketed for Sitting on a Playground Bench with No Kids...

It seems that some parks and playgrounds in New York have signs posted that you are not to enter unless you are accompanied by a child. This is to keep pedophiles out. A good idea. But the police should use some common sense, for heaven's sakes. But since they don't, be aware of the signs and don't go in unless you have a child.

BTW the fine could be as much a $1000 and 90 days in jail.

New York City Hotels

Latest New York City Hotel Reviews

Hilton Manhattan East
Marriott Marquis New York City
Hotel Pennsylvania
Embassy Suites Hotel New York City
Thirty Thirty Hotel New York
Murray Hill East Suites (149 East 39TH Street.)
Latest: Jul 1, 2014
Latest: Jun 27, 2014
The Hotel at Times Square
Millennium Broadway New York

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

New York City Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New York City locals.
Map of New York City