Subway, New York City

Know about this?

• Subway
    by Andrew_W_K
  • Times Squ at night people try to sell stuff
    Times Squ at night people try to sell...
    by EdinburghRoc
    One of the subway crazies!!
    by tkdqueen
  • ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Subway Precautions 2

by ForestqueenNYC Written Jun 7, 2005

Be especially attentive when the subway is crowded. This is the best time for your pockets to be picked without your even knowing it. In fact you might consider waiting for the next train rather than squeezing in like a sardine.

NEVER, NEVER go after the pickpocket nor even yell at him. This could result in very disastrous consequences.

• Study Abroad
    • Women's Travel

• SnoopySue's Profile Photo

Subway cheaters

by SnoopySue Written Jan 11, 2005

At Canal street subway station (Chinatown) I saw two girls standing close to the subway door and cheating the turists. How do they operate? I suppose that they have some device hidden in their pockets interfering with the frequency of the door. So when someone swipe the ticket and try to get through the door, they activate the device and block the door offering to helpless people to buy tickets from them. After that they deactivate the device and let you get through the door. I suppose that they choose Canal street because there is no cashier and subway employees. They target turists and people who like alike so if you go there be careful.

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

NYC isn't what it was...but still use your head.

by jglsongs Written Nov 28, 2004

Being "city savvy" is still the rule of thumb here. New York City has become one of the SAFEST large cities in the world, but it's still home to 8 million people on a small island (and 8 million others who have easy access to it by bus, train, car and ferry), so basic statistics still say, not everyone you encounter will be your friend.

Some basic tips, especially for the subway:
    -If you see an empty subway car, don't get in; if it's empty, there's a good reason it is.

-Flash your Rolex, Movado or Tag Heuer all you want in the restaurant, but turn it around on the subway so the band is on top and the watch face is on the bottom of your wrist.

-NEVER fall for the Metro Card swipe game- if you want a metro card for the subway, buy it in the machines or at the booth.

-And last but not least, make sure you realize that some subway lines run express. Visit www.mta.info for all the scoop on NYC public transportation.

• much safer than its reputation suggests

by edinburghjambo Written Sep 18, 2004

i was a bit apprehensive about walking the streets of New York, but i never really felt uneasy in the month i was there. If your thinking about going, read all the tips on this message board, theyre invaluable, for example watch out for the gypsy cab drivers at JFk, they may sound like they know what theyre talking about, but theyre unlicesnsed and very dodgy.

There are loads of cops on the street and there are a millions stores and shops open all the time if u need to ask directions.

Finding your way about is very easy, the subway is a great way to get about quickly, but it may take you a day or so to master it, after that you'll feel like you've done it all your life. Just remember, Downtown is toward the statue of liberty and uptown takes you to the bronx.

• VERY SAFE

by bigbilly352435234532 Written Apr 24, 2004

Forget what you've seen in movies from the past. Most of NYC, especially Manhattan, is very safe as far as big cities go. They have really gotten rid of the homeless people, and you may not see one in the course of a day (depending on where you go). I have never heard of anyone I know being mugged, and I always feel safe in Manhattan. I have walked around at night and taken the subway, and it was perfectly fine. Harlem, Central Brooklyn, (especially East New York) and the South Bronx are less safe. I don't really have much of a reason for going to these places, so most of my knowledge is of driving thru there though, so form your own opinion.

• don1dublin's Profile Photo

Warnings or Dangers

by don1dublin Written Apr 20, 2004

Theres none.....Ive always felt very safe in New York. and have never seen any trouble i have seen one or two guys that look like they would be trouble but as long as you look tuff then you will be fine. New York is very safe at nite....i felt more safe in New York than I have been in Dublin or any other European city ..............so relax and enjoy yourselfs........subway is very safe too...even at 4 in the moarning.......just be sensible and dont let your expensive digi camera hang from the back of your jeans....your fellow tourist would even snatch it off you :0)

• genica45's Profile Photo

Attacked by cane wielding thug

by genica45 Written Mar 30, 2004

At 4 o'clock in the afternoon, my best friend and I were walking down Amsterdam Avenue near 81st street when a young black guy wearing a bright red ski cap, olive shirt with black stripes and baggy light colored trousers that stopped mid calf, came running towards me with a cane perpendicular to his body. He ran me down like a football player. As we are about to hit the ground, with him on top of me, I feel the cane across my front and his hands on the back of my shoulders. We land on the ground and as he gets up to straddle me, I give him two swift flat-footed kicks to either the lower abdomen or his groin. He was wearing those baggy pants young guys wear nowadays so I really couldn't tell. I yell, "What do you think you are doing?" He backs off and says, "Sorry" - like it was just an accident which it was not. It could have been a combination of me kicking him, my best friend hitting him with the umbrella and the worker from the Asian restaurant who ran outside when all of this occurred, but the thug backs off. I grabbed the cane and threw it at him. Big mistake I know because I should have given the cane to the police but I let my anger get the better of me. I yelled, "Get out of here!" We watch him speed walk down the sidewalk trying to act as if nothing occurred. The restaurant worker asks if I'm okay and we call the police from the restaurant. They arrive I tell them what happened, etc. I came out of the incident unscathed, thank God.

Anyways, if you see healthy young men or women for that matter, walking around with canes or some other unusual item like a golf club that can be used as a weapon, beware.

I read in the New York Post that nine people were arrested in a stabbing on the subway. The police confiscated two canes in the incident.

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel

• tkdqueen's Profile Photo

Subway

by tkdqueen Written Feb 21, 2004

One of the subway crazies!!

You just have to use your common sense and don't use the subway late in the evening...you do get a few nutcases getting on and asking for money.
    Copy the locals and keep your head down or bury your nose in a book.

• jaybird199's Profile Photo

Subway Service Changes

by jaybird199 Written Oct 15, 2002

It seems like all the time there are service changes due to construction on certain subway lines. I would like to tell you that just by reading the signs posted in the stations helps....but it doesn't! Most of the time they are old or just plain confusing. Especially if you aren't familiar with certain stations. BUT, the goo news is, is that if you are a tourist, it shouldn't really affect you in that the changes occur more frequently in the outer boroughs where tourists don't go anyway! But the best thing to do is check www.mta.info and this will let you know what changes to expect!

• arissat's Profile Photo

General Safety Tips

by arissat Written Sep 24, 2002

If you have never been to New York before, don't be afraid to go out! Just keep these safety tips in mind and you should be just fine.

-Be aware of who is around you.
    -Stay in populated areas.
    -How you carry yourself is crucial. Look confident in where you are going, how you walk and what you are doing.
    -Clutch your purse/bag securely under your arm.
    -If there are two of you, place handbags between you instead of on the outside.
    -If someone is harassing you on the street, then go into a populated store or shop or find a police officer.
    -Yell "Fire" not "Help". People will come look if they think there's a fire, but "Help" is like crying wolf.
    -If you are being mugged then it's better to give the mugger what he/she wants. Your life is worth more than the cash in your pocket!
    -Try to walk in the middle of the sidewalk and not next to the buildings or the street. At night, stay close to the street so that you can flag down help if the nearby stores are closed.
    -Avoid empty subway cars, ride with many people or in the conductor's car (usually the middle car of the train).
    -Telephone information from a payphone is free. Simply dial 555-1212 on any pay phone and ask for the number of the business or person you are looking for. You don't need to put in any change.

• dogears's Profile Photo

The subway is SAFE anytime...

by dogears Written Aug 26, 2002

The subway is SAFE anytime until midnight and then you have to wait a long time anyway, so take a taxi. The SIGNAGE down there can be confusing. People are actually friendly, when you ask them for directions. Beautiful GRAFFITI that covered an entire subway car (as pictured) has (almost) been eliminated. See pics at http://www.graffiti.org/trains/index.trains.html or http://www.at149st.com/clean.html. ::

• The subway is the best way to...

by Trotsky Written Aug 26, 2002

The subway is the best way to travel and is safe if you use your head. During the day you should have no problems anywhere on the system. At night however, i suggest staying away from travelling above E. 96th St. and W. 120 St. Also there are some areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn that aren't the best places to be after dark. Also, don't stand on the edge of the platform. On rare ocassions, someone crazy will push someone onto the tracks. This RARELY happens, but just be careful.

• Ricardo_J_M's Profile Photo

I had always heard the myth of...

by Ricardo_J_M Written Aug 26, 2002

I had always heard the myth of the subways. As I flew into La Gaurdia I figured we would take a taxi to our hotel. I have traveled many other subways before, even in Mexico City. I figured what the hell we will just catch the Q33 to the subway. I was glad we did because the trip ended up being a couple of dollars. The subways are not dangerous, just be smart. Don't look for trouble and careful with your belongings.

• Yes, I suppose there is a lot...

by terternyc Written Aug 25, 2002

Yes, I suppose there is a lot of crime still happening in the city. But locals seem to avoid much of the pick-pocketings and muggings. Here's why -- if you ALWAYS look like you know where you're going and walk briskly, you won't be picked out of the crowds. Study your maps in the privacy of your hotel rooms, memorize what subways you need to take, and if you don't know what direction to head, duck into a deli to ask. Looking unintimidated is the key to not being an easy victim in this city. Keep your purse in front of you at all times, and preferably hold the zippered top shut - especially on the subway.
    If you follow these tips, avoid desolate places at stupid hours, and look like a New Yorker, you will have no problems.
    JUST ENJOY YOURSELF!

• Razorart's Profile Photo

DON'T stand at the edge of the...

by Razorart Written Aug 25, 2002

DON'T stand at the edge of the subway platform. I think you should know why by now.
    I'm a bit more paranoid than most New Yorkers, though. I don't even like to lean out and look down the tunnel to see if the train is coming!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels