Oyster Bay Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Oyster Bay

• I'm about to reveal a secret...

by xsre Written Feb 25, 2011

I am about to reveal a secret that only a handful of kids who grew up in Oyster Bay know about. A place we used to call paradise. If you love nature this is for you. Now, I think the area is marked as protected and is partly fenced at once of the entrances, but I know how to get in without jumping a fence. If they try to stop you for trustpassing you can atleast argue that you didn't know. Go to beakman beach down by the sailing school. Follow the train tracks toward Bayville. You have ample room to jump to the side if a train is coming (they run very slow there). I hope your not scared of heights because you will have to cross the old overpass. It's pleanty wide and it's only a few steps. Once you cross you will see a watering hole on the left. There is a wood plank where you can sit and dangle your feet over the watering hole. We used to use it a a wishing well. Just a few feet passed there you will come to paradise. On the right hand side through the trees there is a path. Now the path is hard to find on purpose so you'll have to look. After ducking and ovewrgrown tree you will find a large clearing with a stream that we used to call paradise. Now I can't be certain it is not overgrown, but it is worth checking. You can find carvings in the trees of old lovers. There used to be a tree swing by the stream. It was always the most beautiful and secluded place in all of O.B. Hence the name. I haven't been there since 1996, but the local kids had been going there long before me and I am sure they they still do once in a while. We kept it secret even amoung the other kids. Only a handful of us knew, but there has been a tradition to pass it down to the younger worthies and we did pass it down so I'm sure its still there. Good luck on you adventure! There are also other off the beaten path trails in the area. Follow the path that leads out of the gate into the neighborhood in the back of the Vernon Middle School parking lot in East Norwhich. You will see a barracade to your right. Cross the barracde and you will find yourself in a series of trails leading through the beautiful forest of upper Brookville. Follow it straight to the end and look out over the mountain. The Baseball field behind the Boys and girls club has a nice trail that circles a pond. Can you find it? Theres also some good trails down by the commander oil tanks right by the bay. Bring some beer and your camera.

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• April1985's Profile Photo

Car Shows

by April1985 Written Aug 28, 2006

My Boyfriend just recently moved to Oyster Bay, NY. We didnt even know they had car shows, we dont see them advertised, they just sort of appear on main street every now and then. During the summer it happens alot. And boy, are these cars nice. Last time even Billy Joel was there. Dont worry Billy, we wont bother you, we just wanna look at these kick ass cars !

Instant Answers: Oyster Bay

Comments

Oyster Bay Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Oyster Bay off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oyster Bay sightseeing.