Peekskill Travel Guide

Peekskill Things to Do

by cruisingbug Updated Feb 11, 2005

How could I have had a Peekskill page all this time and not made a Paramount tip? First opened in 1930, the Paramount Center for the Arts is a Peekskill landmark. Just walking through its doors transports you back to the heyday of the great movie theaters. The interior includes an art exhibition. The theater has just finished its second phase of restoration, so it has re-opened for live performances.

The Paramount still shows films, usually those of an independent bent, like "The Motorcycle Diaries". But the Center is also a venue for various live performances - we saw Branford Marsalis perform there in 2002, before the restoration. (I don't know if they "restored" the heat so much, so bring an extra sweater if you go in the winter!)

• Architecture
    • Music
    • Theater Travel

Peekskill Hotels

Peekskill Restaurants

by cruisingbug Updated Sep 5, 2011

Under NEW OWNERSHIP! Apparently as of November 2010. So we will be back, and hope that the attitude has changed with the new regime.

I will, for now, leave this entry, but I hope to be able to revise it!!

I debated about just deleting this entry, but then I thought, hey, they had fair warning. I used to love Kathleen's and have been there over a dozen times. But I've been there three times in the last three months and the owners have been pushy and rude each time, especially the last today (and I mean the last as I won't go there again).

This latest trip we had 8 women, part of my breastfeeding support group. When I made the reservation 5 days prior, I asked if 8 was too many and was told it was fine. I was asked if any in the group were children. I said no, and mentioned that we'd be coming every month. Well, 8 adults was fine for the first hour and a half, apparently, and then we weren't welcome. We all ordered tea and lunch, which was slow to come out (and at least one of the orders disappeared before making it to our table and had to be re-made). Our waitress was friendly and apologetic about the mistake.

After 90 minutes the male owner of the restaurant began grabbing plates and clearing away the one "high tea" 3-tiered stand that 2 of our group were sharing, and told us (not very politely) that the tables were needed for another group reservation. Some of us were still eating! We were given the check - and although last time weren't charged a sharing charge for the high tea (the "sharer" had ordered a $4.50 scone both times) this time the female owner would not remove the charge, stating that she had a business to run and that we shouldn't argue over $3 (in a case like this, I would think, neither should the owner!). Well, it was actually $5 and the menu stated it wouldn't be charged as long as a menu item was ordered. And again they reiterated how we should vacate the tables. I've worked in the restaurant industry, 2 hours is industry standard, longer for large groups. By the way, NO ONE was waiting for our tables.

Favorite Dish: We paid our $140 bill and left. I asked the waitress what had happened - whether we'd been too loud, etc., to have gotten the bum's rush, but she said, as the owner had, that they were a "small establishment" and our group was just too large. Funny, I had ASKED about that when I made the reservation! And I've been there in the past with groups of 5 and 6 with no problems (the menu even mentions that an 18% gratuity would be added for groups of 5 or more!). No one mentioned that there was a 90 minute turnover, but even so, the owners could have been a lot more polite and friendly about it. I believe that there was some other reason for their callous behavior but am at a loss as to what it was. I know I've read negative reviews of them on teamap.com and almost didn't believe, until what I experienced today. For a place that doesn't accept credit cards, and is not open on Sundays or for dinner, you'd think they'd try not to alienate customers.

So we made a reservation for next month at a restaurant around the corner. And when we walked past Kathleen's 15 minutes later, the "next group" was finally arriving - 5 or 6 eight-year-old girls coming for a party (there was a group of 4 younger girls having one when we arrived - and they broke at least 2 pieces of china). Too bad none of us will be bringing OUR little girls and their parties here.

• Women's Travel

Hudson View from Henry's, Peekskill Inn, New York

by cruisingbug Updated Mar 13, 2006

Henry's has been open for over a year, replacing Oliver's, a British pub food style restaurant.

The restaurant, located on the grounds of the Peekskill Inn, overlooks the Hudson River and Peekskill's waterfront, the location of the city's annual fireworks show. But any time of year, the Hudson River views are spectacular.

The food is good, prices are reasonable, service was good considering there was only one waitress on the early shift.

Favorite Dish: We've only eaten here twice since the restaurant changed hands, but there were still some favorites on the menu. When it was Oliver's, I loved the puff-pastry chicken pot pie (so light and flaky!), and was happy to see it still there. The last time we were there I sampled the shepherd's pie, also a holdover, and it was fine except for the slightly off-smelling cheddar on top, which I removed. Soup of the day or salad comes with your meal, but it's well worth the $4.50 to get the Half Moon Soup - one side is pureed carrot soup, the other is pureed red pepper soup. Very pretty!

by cruisingbug Updated Feb 14, 2005

We chose to go to Zeph's in Peekskill for our Valentine's Day dinner this year, after wanting to check out this restaurant for some time.

Zeph's is named for Victoria Zeph, the chef. The restaurant is small, maybe 12 tables or so, so reservations are a must (Zeph's is open for dinner only, after 5:30.) The decor is a contrast to the brick renovated grist-mill exterior, in a rather deserted part of town. Inside, the walls are painted a cozy mustardy-yellow, with mismatched chairs around the tables. Local art (such as paintings of Bannerman's Castle and the Grist Mill building itself) adorn the walls, while pretty curtains frame the bank of windows on each side.

Service was excellent, even though there was really only one waiter and two server/busboys working on this busy night, along with the part-owner/manager out front.

Favorite Dish: We'd read that the menu changes seasonally to reflect what's fresh. Appetizers ran about $8-$9, entrees in the $20s-$30, and desserts were $6.50. We skipped drinks and appetizers: I chose the braised lamb and pasta dish, while hubby had the chicken and mashed turnips. Entrees come with a mixed-green salad (unusual in Westchester to include salad) - I loved the garlic and pepper dressing. Also, bread was fresh and warm, with sticks of focaccia as well. The lamb pieces were well-trimmed and tender; hubby said I made better chicken though (well, it was our romantic Valentine's Day dinner. :) )

Desserts were very good - I had the chocolate terrine with orange sauce (a rich chocolate/orange zest filling surrounded on four sides by white cake) and hubby had chocolate mousse cake with vanilla malt ice cream. His cake was very dark and rich - and he finished his before I was done with mine for a change!

• Business Travel

Peekskill Local Customs

• welcome to Peekskill where white kids rap

by kellithehogan Written Feb 14, 2007

to drink directly from the Hudson river, and to bus load people in for rioting,,It is also customary to pay the crack dealers for not killing you While you walk on the oposite side of the street from the baby hookers. Small children learn to incite racism and are praised by their ignorant community of "unity" Welcome to Peekskill where kids have knives and guns in school....Nice town..in the EARLY 60s

• Trains
    • Safari

Peekskill Favorites

• by kellithehogan Written Feb 14, 2007

Favorite thing: I like to take the wine tasting tour with the bums at the river. Kids love it!! They offer child care.

Fondest memory: Bubbles and his imaginary car going up route 9 . He was hit by a car and died on Division street awhile back ..guess he forgot to signal. And Dolly the 60+ yr old prostitute with the big rouge circles on her cheeks. The Leatherman wasnt the last oddity Peekskill had to offer.We have a whole variety of mental illnesses for your viewing pleasure. As the Dutch said ..He who sleeps in the valley of the shadow of the mountains ..is mad for life. Yeah that WAS about Peekskill..or somthin like that

• Trains

Instant Answers: Peekskill

Comments

Peekskill Travel Guide
Map of Peekskill