Port Chester Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Port Chester

John's of Arthur Avenue: Great Pizza and Pasta

by cjg1 Updated Aug 1, 2013

John's of Arthur Avenue is a welcome addition to the many restaurants in Port Chester. This place is a pizza joint/restuarant with a nice casual interior. It is not easy to find a place in Port Chester that has good pizza and well as Italian dishes; it's usually one or the other. My wife is very hard to please when it comes to pizza having grown up in the Bronx; so I am very happy that she loves the pizza here.

The menu here has a large selection of salads, appetizers, sandwiches, calzones, pizza, pasta and more substantial entrees. Our favorite here is the Arthur Avenue style pizza. The crust is perfectly thing with a tasty sauce and a nice helping of mozzarella cheese. We usually order their large cheese pizza which is 16" round. This is perfect for dinner and next day leftovers. They have a ginormous pizza called the "Stadium" which is a 24". Their take away slices usually come from their Stadium sized pizza; so just one slice will fill you up. They offer the customary pizza toppings as well as their Sicilian style, Grandma style, Naples style pizza and a few specialty topped pizzas.

Their pasta here is very good. I in particular enjoy their Penne Vodka which is a large portion and very tasty. My wife loves their Cheese Ravioli. They use Terranova Brand Ravioli from Arthur Avenue which is the brand my wife grew up on. I have to say the Ravioli is the best; the cheese is so creamy and the Ravioli are stuffed to max capacity.

The staff here are also the reason to come in. They are so friendly and attentive to customers; it's a pleasure. The vibe of this place is very "local neighborhood" with a casual vibe which is love.

Sichuan Pavilion: Pricey but Incredible Chinese Food

by cjg1 Updated Dec 13, 2012

Pineapple Chicken

Sichuan Pavillion is an extremely tiny Chinese Restaurant. I would say they could fit maybe 12 people in the place. We've dined in before but you need to come early; tables fill up fast for the diner hour. The place is usually filled with locals like us and the manager knows us by name and even knows our preferences. We normally get take out;we have to pick it up ourselves because they do not deliver. That's just fine with us the food is incredible and it's right down the block from our house. The staff is always friendly and the food is out of this world. It is on the pricey side for Chinese food but very worth it.

This past Easter we decided to have Liz's family over for dinner. Since Marie insisted that we not go to the trouble of cooking she suggested we get some Chinese food. So, we ordered some great food from Sichuan Pavillion. As always the food was incredible and everyone enjoyed the: Steak and Peapods, Shrimp & Cashews, Chicken & Broccoli, Mandarin Chicken, Fried Shrimp and Pork Fried Rice.

Favorite Dish: General Tso Chicken and Mandarin Chicken are my favorites here. Liz likes her Shrimp and Cashews or Shrimp and Snow Peas. They have realy good pork fried rice with actual strips of pork instead of little nubs. The food here is of excellent quality and you can taste it in their chicken, seafood and beef.

I recently tried their Pineapple Chicken. It was a stunning visual presentation. The pineapple chicken was served in a half of a carned out Pineapple. The plate was incredibly heavey from thhe pineapple and all the food stuffed inside. It was unbelievably good and I was glad I ordered it.

Rosie's on the River (CLOSED): Incredibly Delicious Food

by cjg1 Updated Jul 29, 2011

Short Ribs

Rosie's is one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Port Chester. The place is located in the downtown area of Port Chester and despite it's small exterior it is quite large inside. There is a nice sized bar area with seating as well as a larger main dining room. My wife and I often come here for a meal or for some drinks and snacks before or after a movie.

The menu is quite extensive as has a large variety of appetizers, salads, pizza, pasta, seafood, chicken, beef and soup. There is also a bar menu with more snack food items and small plates. Their special menu is always chocked full of tempting items to choose. What I like about this place is that anything you want they will make for you even if it is not on the menu; they actually encourage you to do so.

As soon as you are seated they serve fresh, warm bread was put on the table along with a plate of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic and parmesean cheese wedges. Yum, the bread is always very good and I love the roasted garlic cloves. At this point we are always debating over what to order since everything is so good here. We always order the fried calamari as an appetizer. The portion is huge and overflowing with squid. The dish is served with a side of roasted tomato sauce for dipping which was very tasty and flavorful.

Entrees here are quite large so bring your appetite. Some of our favorite entrees are the Pumpkin Ravioli, Lobster Ravioli, Wild Mushroom Ravioli, Seafood Risotto and Short Ribs. You really can't choose wrong here; everything is always flavorful and fresh tasting. Our favorite waiter/bartender Douglas is always friendly and attentive; making sure we have everything we need.

Dessert here is a must. The selection changes daily and is made on the premises by their chef. My favorite dessert is the Tiramisu of course; which is quite good and a perfect portion for two. The drinks here are also good and my Wife enjoys one of Douglas' special Lemon Drop Martini's.

Rosie's for us is a great local place where we can enjoy a great meal with friendly service in a laid back atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The Short Ribs are excellent here. Three huge pieces of meat over the most incredible mashed potatoes. The meat is so tender it falls aprt on the fork...so Yum.

The Pumpkin Ravioli is devine with the tasty cram sauce flavored with nutmeg. The pumpkin filling is the perfect blend of sweet.

My wife loves the Wild Mushroom Ravioli and I must admit it is excellent. The sauce is creamy with mushroom chunks throughout. The ravioli themselves are delicious triangles stuffed with pieces of mushroom and cheese.

Q: Great Pulled Pork Sandwiches

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pulled Pork Sandwich

If Liz hadn't taken me to Q I probably would have never noticed it on Main Street....thankfully she introduced me to Q and since then I've been addicted. From the outside it looks like a smal little place. When you step inside there is a spacious bar and two level dining area. The menu has some really excellent choices from ribs, pulled pork sndwiches to peel and eat shrimp. They have home made iced tea and pink lemonade.

My first visit to Q, we just placed our order, paid and had a seat at a table. A few minutes later our food arrived. It might take longer for some order because each item is cooked to the customers specifiations. I had the pulled pork sandwich which was incredible. Liz had a cheeseburger which she enjoyed. The other great part of the meal was the maccaroni and cheese which was so cheesey and creamy. It was a great meal. No wonder why people from all over come to Q to eat.

Their curbside takeout is great too. Liz's parents were over and we decided to order Q. Liz placed the order on the phone. She and her Mom drove to Q and waited outside. Her cell phone rang and outcame her order. She paid and off they were back to the apartment.

Q is one of my favorite Port Chester restaurants. We love coming her for a meal alone or with friends. It's also a great place to have a pre-movie meal.

Favorite Dish: My favorites at Q are the ribs and the pulled pork sandwich. Their mac & cheese is excelent and creamy. Liz likes their burgers but her favorite is the spicy peel and eat shrimp. The unsweeteed ice tea and pink lemonade are awesome and go perfectly with one of the meals here.

Euro Asian: Surprisingly Good Asian Food

by cjg1 Updated Oct 26, 2010

Shrimp Tempura Rolls and California Rolls

Euro Asian is a local Chines/Sushi/Japanes/Thai restuarant. It's close to the movie theatre so there are always people rushing to or from a movie to grab a bite to eat.

The restaurant itself is a nice size with a large dining area, bar and counter to watch your sushi bring prepared while you wait. There is also a lounge area with a bar and several tables. This lounge area is nice if you just want to grab a drink and watch a sporting event with some sushi. The food here is excellent and the service is very attentive. The menu has an extensive list of sushi and entrees which makes it very hard for me to choose. Every meal we have had here has been excellent.

Liz and I find ourselves here often to enjoy the beautifully presented and delicious food. I love their Amazing Chicken, Eel Rolls, Salmon Rolls, Rainbow Rolls and their Pad Thai. My wife usualy gets a sushi platter that is called the Maki C. It has shrimp tempura rolls, eel rolls and california rolls.

Our last dinner here was for family pre- birthday dinner. The food here is incredible from the crispy calamari appetizer all the way to the dessert. The staff was very accomodating to my Father-in-law who is disabled and needed a place to store his wheelchair. The waiter made sure to keep the wine and beer flowing and brought out a special ice cream tempura complete with candle for the birthday girl.

**They are very accomodating if you tell them you are catching a movie afterwards**

Favorite Dish: The crispy calamari is always a must as an appetizer for me. It comes with two sauces: a spicy duck sauce and a pineapple mango sauce. I like their Genera; Tso or their Amzing Chicken as an entree. Liz enjoys the shrimp and cashews, Shrimp Teriyaki or the Maki C sushi platter. The rainbow rolls, eel rolls, salmon rolls, amazing chicken and Pad Thai especially with a Japanese beer to wash it down. The chocolate lava cake is unbelievable and is a must for desert; definitely share it it is too much for one person.

Tortilleria Los Gemelos: Best Mexican Food in this part of the Country

by cjg1 Updated Sep 22, 2010

Delicious Tacos

The food here is amazing; authentic Mexican cuisine (do not expect Tex-Mex or Americanized food this is the real deal). The restaurant itself leaves a LOT to be desired. But this too is what makes it such a treasure.

After having been on my to do list for about a year before I finally came here. And within the first week made another trip here. Now Los Gemelos is almost a weekly destination for us to grab dinner. Any search on foodie sites like www.chowhound.com or the like will turn up this place with rave reviews.

The restaurant looks like an old pizza parlor with small booth seats and a very plain feel. The TVs run Spanish programming and the menus are in both Spanish and English.

**They now have delivery service and sidewalk seating!**

Favorite Dish: Everything I've had so far has been absolutely delicious. My favorites though are just simple carnitas tacos. A couple of them and I can call it a meal. The torta here and burrito are also very good and a nice portion.

Liz almost always gets the flour cheese quesadilla which I must admit is quite amazing.

The burritos here are very good and come in a bowl; the portion is that large. I have had both the carnitas and the grilled chicken both with and without the jalapenos.

The nachos are very good but not what an American would consider nachos. The platter is lined with corn torilla chips. Dollops of beans are layed on each chip and covered with cheese and cilantro. They were incredible good and I will definitely order them again.

The gucamole here is execllent and very fresh. The portion is huge; perfect for four people. The taquitos are also excellent especially the chicken.

Each time we go I do try to expand the things I've tried and will continue to update this tip as such.

We reacently brought our friend Laura here for some authentic Mexican food since Mexican is a hard to find cuisine in her native Australia. We split an order of guacamole and chips which as always is incredible. Laura enjoyed a taco along with a tostada and we enjoyed our selections.

Ebb Tide(CLOSED): A Local Seafood Joint with Good Food

by cjg1 Updated Mar 12, 2010

Fried Calamari

When I said Ebb Tide is a local seafood joint , I mean exactly that. The place is a no frills restaurant, seafood market, bait shop and boat rental. Inside is a dining area with tables, along with the fish market counter and bait shop. You place your order at the counter and are given a plastic number card on a metal stand. Inform the cashier if you are eating inside or out on the deck. The menu consists of the basic fried seafood, sandwiches, appetizers, lobsters, steamed clams and shrimp. The food here is good and has decent portions. The prices aren't bad for what you get and siting outside by the water is always a plus in my book.

We often come here after work when the weather is nice. I like to sit outside and enjoy a good meal by the water...it's a good way to unwind after work.

Favorite Dish: I like the fish and chips. The fish is very flaky and not dry. The french fies are thickly cut and rather nice. Liz likes the fried calamari which comes with a side of marinara, tartar and cocktail saice for dipping. The mussels are incredibly good and loves loves them in the red broth. The bowl is huge and served with a warm mini italian loaf. The portion is always too big and she winds up leaving at least 6 mussels behind. Our favorite appetizer here is the seafood garlic bread. The garlic bread is delicious and is topped with crab meat and chopped clams. It is incredibly good and I would reccomend it when you come here for a meal. I recently tried the monk fish nuggets that were on the SPecials board. They were deep fried pieces of monkfish served in a basket with potato wedges. The nuggest were very good and moist inside. The breading was crunchy and had a good flavor.

**Check out the board for dessert options...we occasionally find something extremely good like creme brulee cheesecake or key lime pie.**

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Frank's Pizza: The Best Garlic Knots Hands Down...

by cjg1 Updated Feb 1, 2010

Franks is a nice pizza joint/italian restaurant. Upon entering there is a counter to place ake out orders or to pick up a to go meal. On the left is the dining room. It's pretty basic with tables and chairs. The menu has the usual italian meat, chicken, seafood and veal dishes, as well as pasta, sandwiches, pizza, salads, appetizers and desserts. My favorite part of the meal is the bread basket. There are fried garlic balls and fresh baked bread served on the table. The garlic Knots (which are really balls) are very good and crispy; in my opinion they are the best I have ever had. The salads here are almost too big to finish. My favorite dishes from Franks are the Sicilian Pizza, Seafood Ravioli and their Seafood Jambalaya.

The food here is very good and the service is friendly. We enjoy eating in or getting delivery.

They are open Monday-Saturday. Closed on Sunday.

Monday Night is Pasta Night: Salad or Soup, Pasta, Dessert & Coffee for $11.95

Tuesday Night is Entree Night: Buy one entree & Get the Second one for half Price (dessert & coffee included)

Wednesday Night is Seafood Night: Seafood entrees and All You Can Eat Mussels (dessert and coffee included ) $16.95

Thursday Night is Ravioli Night: Buy one ravioli dinner and get the second dinner half price (dessert & coffee included).

Favorite Dish: The Sicilian Pizza is very good. The sauce is tasty and the crust is cooked perfectly. They top the pizza with just the right amount of cheese and pepperoni. The Seafood Jambalaya is always a hit with me. A huge dish of mussels, clams, shrimp and peppers are served steaming hot over rice. I can never finish the whole portion but it is incredibly good. The Seafood Ravioli is also a fvaorite I enjoy it when Liz and I come here for Ravioli Night. The mini cannolis here are very good and a perfect finish for dessert.

Liz is a big fan of their calzones, sicilian pizza and pepperoni pie. Her favorite pasta dish is the Cheese Ravioli with Vodka sauce and the Zuppa de Pesce. The Minestrone soup is also very good and she prefers it to the customary pre-dinner salad.

Our favorite night here is Wednesday for Seafood Night. I get the Jambalaya and Liz gets the Zuppa Di Pesce.

Ravioli Night is another favorite since their portions are huge and the ravioli is ultra creamy. You have a choice of sauces and we love the Vodka sauce.

**The Garlic knots are thes best and are served in the bread basket for the table. They are fried balls of dough that are crispy with garlic and parmesean cheese....unbelievably good.**

Piero's: Small Restaurant with Great Food

by cjg1 Updated Nov 12, 2009

My Pork Chops with Hot Peppers

I like to think of Piero's as our local hole in the wall gem. Piero's is a well known and frequented place of the Port Chester locals. The place is tiny and if you blink you'll miss it. Once you walk through the door there is a curtain to walk through to get to the restaurant. There is a tiny bar area (two seats and theowner is usually sitting in one of them) and the dining room. The dining room is small but we have never felt cramped when eating here. The food more than makes up for the restaurant's lack of size. They have really good Italian dishes; pasta, chicken, fish, beef, pork, etc. The portions here are a good size and the food is excellent. We usually order from the specials menu since they are just too good to pass up. The service here is always attentive and we nver feel rushed through a meal.

**they are very accomodating and will make any dish with a different sauce..just ask.**

Favorite Dish: Liz and I have had several delicious meals here but my all time favorite was the pork chops in a hot pepper auce. The two large chops were delicious and the sauce was excellent. It came with broccolli on the side that I enjoyed dipping in my pepper sauce. The stuffed mushrooms here are good but different; they have a vegetable cheese stuffing. Liz's favorite here is the gnocchi in vodka sauce. Their vodka sauce is out of this world good and I often find myself dipping some bread into Liz's plate of Vodka sauce.

The desserts here are insanely good. Their Tiramisu is one of the best I have had. Liz loves the tortoni which is an almond flavored ice cream topped with toasted crushed almonds.

The Kneaded Bread: Excellent Bread and Danish

by cjg1 Written Oct 8, 2009

The Kneaded Bread is the place to go in Port Chester for awesome bread, scones and danish. Their bread is fresh, delicious and made on site. They have a nice variety f loaves from: brioche, olive, provolone, multigrain, challah, baguette, rye, onion, poppy seed, sourdough , pimkin and more. I love their pumkin bread, multi grain and sourdough. Their berry scones are also incredible with delicious fresh berries. The danishes are also incredible with cinnamon being our favorite.The Kneaded bread also has soups and andwiches but I've never personally tried that.

Favorite Dish: I love the multigrain, sourdough and pumpkin bread. I like going early in the morning when the bread is hot from the oven. The cinnamon danish is always something I have to bring home since Liz loves them for breakfast.

Edo Japanese Steakhouse: Okay Hibachi

by cjg1 Updated Oct 8, 2009

Edo is a nice Hibachi place in Port Chester. Liz's brother is a big fan so we often come here for dinner with him and his girlfriend. The food here is good nothing to rave about. It's the usual Hibachi show with seating around the grill as the chef does some cooking tricks to oohs and aahs. I'm fine with less flash and more food personally. The place is usually filled with families that appreciate the food show and the birthday celebration. The service here is pretty good and I never have to ask for a refill of my drink.

Favorite Dish: I like the steak and shrimp combo with some fried rice on the side. The meat and shrimp are fresh and good tasting. Liz likes the lobster and rob enjoys the spicy filet.

Coyote Flaco: Post Call Snacks and Drinks

by cjg1 Updated Sep 29, 2009

Coyote Flaco is actually a chain of Mexican resturants in NY, CT and MA; I was quite surprised to learn. This is a favorite post call hangout for Liz and her friends when they want a snacka nd some drinks. I must admit that is is a rather nice place in a questionable side of town. Their outdoor patio was actually enjoyable to have some nachos and a few pitchers of Margaritas with the gang. I have never seen the inside since we sat out on the patio so there isn't anything for me to describe. The nachos here were rather good and the garlic shrimp were quite tasty. The Margaritas were very good ( a bit pricey but good). The service here was attentive and the waiters remebered any of the group from previous visits.

Favorite Dish: The Margaritas were very good and we ordered them by the pitcher for the table. The pitcher was a bit pricey at $40; but very good.

We ordered two portions of their Nachos which were piled high with refried beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa on the side. We also ordered two portions of grilled shrimp one in a garlic sauce (which was incredible) and the other was in a green tomato sauce (okay but not as good as the garlic).

The Willett House: Tasty Steaks

by cjg1 Updated Sep 25, 2009

The Willett House is a traditional Steakhouse. The interior of the restaurant is quite large with exposed brick walls and dark wood accents. This is the place to come in Portchester if you want a good steak and excellent service. We often come here for a "date" or with friends for good times and good food. We usually sit in a booth (we have a favorite); we are here often enough that the hostess knows where we like to sit. The menu has some excellent choices of meat, pork, veal chicken and fish; but you come here for the meat. The food here is always good and the service here is very good even when the place is jam packed.

Sunday Brunch here is also very good and we have taken out of town guests here that have enjoyed it thouroghly.

Favorite Dish: The porterhouse for two is excellent and a favorite of ours; the meat is very tender and juicy. The portion is very large so we often skip the appetizer and wait for the meal. We like their fried onions which are incredibly good. The filet is also very good if you want to have your own single portion. The apple streudel here is excellent so make sure to save room for it. The pastry is very flaky and the apples are perfectly cooked and sweet.

Ferraro's: Excellent Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza with Pepperoni

Our once beloved Pizza joint "Mirabello's", is now Ferraro's. We ordered a pizza from what we thought was Mirabello's. When our pizza arrived we were handed a new menu from Ferraro's and told they were the new owner. I kind of thought...why didn't you answer the phone as Ferraro's when we placed the order...(pretty darn sneaky if you ask me). We ordered a sicilian pizza with pepperoni (one of our favorites). The pizza was good but not what we had grown accustomed to at Mirabello's.

We have since tried Ferraro's more than a dozen times. The Sicilian is very good. The garlic knots I can leave. The regular pizza is very thin and crispy and their white pizza is good. The calzones are weird and deep fried so I'm not a fan...too greasy and not enough cheese.

Favorite Dish: The jury is in: This is now our favorite local Pizza Place for Sicilian Pizza. The Sicilian Pizza is consistently good and tasty. The delivery service is fast and friendly.

**If you want pepperoni ask for extra pepperoni or you will get only 25 pepperoni on a pie, so make sure to ask for extra.**

Carvel: Ice Cream Please

Ultra Thick Milk Shake

Sometimes you just want Ice Cream....when that time hits we hop over to Carvel. It's close to home and always good.

Favorite Dish: I normally get the Vanilla Milkshake which is ultra thick and very good. Liz sometimes gets a hot fudge sundae but normally sticks to a vanilla soft serve cone.

Instant Answers: Port Chester

Comments

Port Chester Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Port Chester restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Port Chester sightseeing.