Rye Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Rye

Seaside Johnnie's: Dinner with A Beach View

by cjg1 Updated Jul 16, 2009

Broiled Scallops

Seaside Johnnie's is a small reataurant/bar right on Oakland Beach. We like to take nice walks on the beach and grab a great meal here. They have outdoor patio seating as well as indoor seating. On most nights we choose to sit outdoors unless the wait is too long. Sitting outside and enjoying the beach views is the best way to enjoy a delicious seafood meal. The indoor dining area is not a bad option since it is very bright from all the windows and doors and has nice ceiling fans to keep guests cool. The bar area is a nice size and usually jammed on a nice summer night.

The menu has a nice selection of seafood items as well as some "land" dishes.....but why come to a place called Seaside Johnnie's and not eat seafood. The portions here are a nice size. The seafood is very fresh and delicious. The service here has always been excellent even when the place is jam packed.

**The restaurant is very crowded on the weekends and the wait times can be extensive so try to come during the week to avoid crowds.**

Favorite Dish: The King Crab Legs are my favorite here. I like that they are already cracked for you so there is an ease of retrieving the delicious crab meat. Liz enjoys the King Crab legs as well but has also enjoyed the broiled sea scallops. The sides that come with the meal are always good and I like their brocolli and baked potato. The meal always begins with a warm loaf of bread served on a wooden board with butter...it is so good.

The drinks here are very good and I enjoy a nice beer and Liz likes her dacquiri.

• Beaches

Rye Grill & Bar: Great Food and Service Every Time

by cjg1 Updated Aug 2, 2010

Warm Chocolate Lava Cake

The Rye Grill & Bar is our local hangout and one of our favorite places to eat in the area. We often find ourselves here to meet friends after work, have a meal with Liz's parents or to grab a bite to eat after one of our beach walks. The place is cozy and we always feel comfortable coming for a meal or just to hang out with drinks. Upon enering the restaurant there is a nice bar area up the stairs on the left with plenty of seating. On the right hand side there are two spacious dining rooms with tables and booths. Upstairs is another dining room, bar and private party room. The Rye Bar & Grill was recently renovated and we love what they have done with the place. It's an open, airy and inviting place to enjoy a good meal or cocktails.

The food here is always good and the service is very good even when the place is jammed. Then menu has a nice selection of American classics as well as pub grub. I like that there menu has a good selection of bar food as well as real food so I can just grab an appetizer if I'm not that hungry. The brunch menu has some of the pub grub/entrees from the regular menu with some tasty breakfast items. The specials are always interesting and I find myself ordering at least one thing whether an entree or an appetizer from the special selections. Dessert here is incredible so make room for dessert when you are here for a meal.

Favorite Dish: The cheeseburger sliders, Filet Mignon Sandwich, calamari and crab stuffed mushrooms with beurre blanc are my favorite here. The sliders are three mini burgers; which are incredibly tasty. The pulled pork sliders are good as well but not the best pulled pork I have had. The calamari is a favorite of both Liz and I. It is very crispy and has a tasty dipping sauce. The steamed mussels in tomato broth is always Liz's favorite. The crabmeat stuffed mushrooms are excellent and we could lick the plate they are that good. The cheeseburgers are very good and I also enjoy the filet mignon sandwich. I like that the burgers and sandwiches are served with both french fries and onion frizzles.

The filet mignon entree is also a great choice with some of the most tender meat I have found in this country. It's served in a garlic sauce with mashed, mixed veggies and onion frizzles. The grilled chicken sandwich is very nice and Marie and I both love eating it. I had one of the specials on one of our visits which was a dungeness crab quesadilla with a creamy horseradish dipping sauce. It was incredible good and a large portion ; I enjoyed eating my leftovers the following day. The tuna special sandwich on my last visit was incredible. The tuna was very fresh and cooked to a nice medium rare.

Dessert here is always a must for us... The chocolate lava cake and the apple crisp are incredibly good. The lava cake is a large round of gooey chocolate lake with an incredible chocolate center. Piled ontop of the cake is ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and caramel. It is heaven on a plate but even I can't finish it......it is so rich. The apple crisp is more like an apple crisp tart. The shell is a flakey crust that surrounds delicious apple pieces covered in streussel topping. It's served warm with a good dollop of vanilla ice cream.

When we come here for brunch I enjoy the eggs bendict which is very nice and almost too much to eat. Liz enjoys some pancakes with strawberry syrup and a nice Bellini.

Pier Restaurant & Tiki Bar: Good Drinks, Tasty Bites and a Nice water View

by cjg1 Updated Sep 9, 2010

Artichoke Spinach Dip with Tortilla Chips

The Pier Restaurant and Tiki Bar is a new installment to the Playland area; opening in May 2010. he place is very big with a huge outside area with a 36 foot Tiki Bar that extends out onto the pier. Inside is a large dining area that has plenty of seating and televisions for sports watching. This place has quickly become popular and very crowded on the weekends especially in the nice warm weather. We usually just grab a seat at the outdoor bar or at one of the patio tables to enjoy the view and nightly entertainment.

My wife and I take our evening walks through Oakland and Rye beach so we often stop here for a bite to eat or a snack. The menu has a nice assortment of appetizers, pub grub items and seafood. They also have beer, wine, hard liquor and specialty drinks like The Fish Bowl Pier Punch, Tikitinis and Tiki Blue Sangria. Prices here are a bit higher than average but you are paying for the location.

Food here is good but service can vary depending on the amount of customers. It's nice to have a fun place within walking distance that we don't have to worry about a designated driver.

**Just a suggestion: go during the week to avoid the crowds which can be a bit on the rowdy side especially when the amusement park is open.**

Favorite Dish: The spinach and artichoke dip is my favorite appetizer here hands down. It's served in a huge bowl with tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa. It is more than enough for two to share portion wise. The dip itself is very creamy and has melted cheese on top which gives it an added crunch and saltiness. I usually have a Miller Lite when here and my wife goes for a Landshark, Stella, Tidal Wave Margarita or a Strawberry dacquiri.

Ruby's Oyster Bar & Bistro: Steak Frites and Escargot

by cjg1 Updated Mar 20, 2011

Calamari Provencal

Ruby's is one of our local favorites. Located right in the heart of downtown Rye it is just one of several great eateries in a four block radius. Ruby's has that casual atmosphere I love with excellent food. Ruby's has a nice menu with a variety of seafood, chicken, fish and meat selections as well as Oysters. There specials list always has something that catches my eye and stomach.

Whether my wife and I stop in for a drink and an appetiser or a full meal; we are never dissapointed. I love their steak frites, calamari salad and escargot. My wife is a big fan of their mussels and their warm brownie sundae.

Our last meal here was during Restaurant week 2011 (fixed price menu for dinner was $28 for appetizer, entree and dessert without tax and tip). We brought my Mother and her husband here for dinner. Hal and Mom loved their meal especially the oysters in a champagne sauce. We had a delicous meal and a fun time.

Favorite Dish: The steak here is very good. A thick cut of tender meat with the right amount of seasoning. The goat cheese mashed potatoes that come with the steak are incredibly good and I could eat a whole bowl of them if I could. The steak is also topped with thin cut onion rings that are out of this world good. The escargot here are a favorite of both my wife and I. They are served in an herb butter sauce with small rounds of puff pastry on top. Th calamari provencal is also a great choice. Cooked not breaded calamari rings are served in a broth with vegetables, peppers and herbs. It is a tasty and refreshing dish.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Piazza Pizzeria & Deli: Our neighborhood pizza joint

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 4, 2011
    Our Sicilian pie

Piazza Pizza is our local pizza joint not too far from home. They have a large variety of dishes to choose from. It's quite small though with only a few tables if you decide you want to eat in, but most people order to go. They have delivery service which is usually quick and the food always arrives piping hot.

We've ordered many different pies and their sicilian pie is our favorite, it's awesome. The sauce is perfect and they put just the right amount of cheese which is gooey! The hero sandwiches are huge (16 in. sub) which can easily be shared. Their pasta dishes are great! Their sauce is spot on with just the right amount of seasoning, but not overpowering tastes.

Ferni and I orderd either a sicilian pie or a sandwich to share at least once a week.

Favorite Dish: The sicilian pie is great, just the right amount of sauce and cheese makes this a winner. The hero sandwiches are huge, enough for two to share and the best part, the price is less then $7. The entrees like any of their pasta dishes are cooked perfectly and quite yummy!

You can't go wrong with anything you order here.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Seaside Johnnies at Oakland Beach: Great Seaside atmosphere with decent food

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 13, 2011
    Yummy Calamari

Seaside Johnnie's is located on Oakland Beach in Rye and is a good place to grab something to eat if you happen to be in the area. During the summer season the place gets quite crowded from the visitors to the beach as well as the locals especially during the weekends.

The restuarant is a nice size with indoor and outdoor seating as well as a small bar area. Ferni and I like to sit in their outdoor dinning area as we like the cool breeze of the ocean during the hot summer days. The food here is consistently good and they have a nice selection of seafood and other dishes to please just about anyone especially those that do not like seafood. The staff is quite friendly and very attentive.

Ferni and I also enjoy the bar area especially if we only want to enjoy a few drinks without wanting to order anything to eat (you can order at the bar as well though).

I've had their calamari the few times the few times I have eaten here, and their frozen margaritas are quite good as well.

Favorite Dish: The only items we have eaten here have been the calamri which I found to be good and Ferni has had their burger and said it was okay.

I love their frozen drinks, the frozen margarita is my favorite.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Rye

Comments

Rye Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rye restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rye sightseeing.