Shelter Island Travel Guide

Shelter Island Things to Do

by chodearm Updated Jun 16, 2005

Galavanting along the twelve mile loop a few rest stops will be by-passed. Usually they highlight a perfect vista, to rest and take-in as you catch your breath and let the lactic acid in your legs settle.

yuki at the first of many vista's
    • Birdwatching

by chodearm Updated Jun 16, 2005

Relics of Shelter Islands agricultural past scatter along the trail rusting into extinction. The trail falls out of the canopy and crosses feilds that were once farms, and opens up easy viewing of the boutiful amout of flying friends. Birds dart to and fro everywhere.

rusty carmicheal

by chodearm Updated Jun 2, 2005

Consisting of 1/3 of Shelter Island, this complex of preservation of all things wild is a must see. A 12 mile loop trail passes through the hundreds of faces of Long Island woods. Marshes, beach, old growth oak forests, grassy fields, and swamps settle alongside the weaving thread. Birds make up the majority of the population, peeping and whistleling every step of the way. The trail was quite wide and well maintained throughout. Skipping off trail for a sec will place a few ticks on your person, I think my count between Yuki and I was 13. Its weird to think of such peaceful surroundings being infested with such a dangerous blood sucker. These soft dirt by-ways are hiking friendly only to keep from eroding into a acne infested pre-pubescent teens pizza face. The gates close at 5pm so plan your walk accordingly, it took us 3 hours to mosey on through.

Shelter Island Restaurants

• magdalena2007's Profile Photo

by magdalena2007 Written Sep 24, 2007

Sunset Beach Restaurant is right on the water with a beach front view from every angle and an amazing sunset. You must make reservation several weeks in advance (before Labor Day I would make reservations a month before). Get there really early, bring a towel, order some drinks and bring them onto the beach and enjoy the sunset. The food was good and service was excellent. The drinks were small but good.

Favorite Dish: Fish

by chodearm Written Jun 16, 2005

The wall paper was the first of many impressions this place made on me. Large floral print gave a beautiful epidermis to the room and the special wines were being highlighted on the center table, just asking for me to give tender loving care. The waiter and staff might have been a little over-attentive but I'm not complaining, matter of fact I'll cut that short. The wine list, almost a selection from each and every winery on the North Fork of Long Island wasrepresented, as well packed the more traditional French and Italian. Food as I have previously stated, turned into a word on a menu page from the nearest local surroundings. I remember a great Long Island duck when I taste one, and for this chef my memory is like I am twelve again. Very lucid. One of the finer Long Island restaurants here.

no plastic flowers here, photo yuki
    • Wine Tasting

by chodearm Updated Jun 15, 2005

Dinner...maybe I should use the word SUPPER here. Ok Supper was to start at 6 pm so there was a wedge of time that needed to be filled. We returned from the 12 mile excursion through Mashomack with a hearty appetite and a thirst that was inflated too. Showers pulled the layer of grime from our skin and we than exited the Chequitt inn to hunt a beer down, pre-supper filler. The Dory looked stuck in the "we are just opening" moment. We dipped our heads in and our bodys followed straight to the wooden bar. Plopping cheeks to stool I odered a Toasted Lager by Blue Point and Yuki went with the hit-or-miss Bloody Mary. The Ethiopian ex-pat served it up while telling us the climate and mood of the Island in the off-season. The interior felt much like the innards of an old wooden sailboat. Occassionaly a local would drop in and all around new each other, Cheers displaced from Boston.

Ethiopian bartender, photo Yuki
    • Beer Tasting

Shelter Island Transportation

by chodearm Written Jun 15, 2005

The ferry that crosses over from the South Fork is also 10 dollars for the car. I only boarded to North Haven from Shelter Island using this route as my "FROM". I thought the views set forth on this side were more to my liking than the North Ferry, but this was aided in part by the sun baring itself. Off in the distance looking west the remnants of a bridge crumbling half submerged, answered alot of questions for me. There lye the reason this Island remains stuck in Long Island history.

car/ferry/water
    • Sailing and Boating

by chodearm Updated Jun 15, 2005

My mind is tarnished. My memory is garbage, but if it is serving me right, I shelled out 10 dollars for a car to board. The trip is 10 minutes across, from Greenport to Shelter Island. Upon landing you will be in close proximity to Shelter Island Heights. Its not a large boat, so I will imagine in high-season there is a hefty line to board. It runs an average of every 15 minutes. Use this ferry one way and use the South Ferry for the other, to see all sides of Shelter Island.

• Sailing and Boating

• Shelter Island Hotels

0 Hotels in Shelter Island

Instant Answers: Shelter Island

Comments

Map of Shelter Island

View all Shelter Island hotels