The Melting Pot, White Plains

2.5 out of 5 stars 1 Reviews

30 Mamaroneck Avenue 914.993.6358

My daughter enjoying her dipping :)
    Wisconsin Cheese Fondue
    Signature Entree
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

The Melting Pot: Celebrating with Kris

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 13, 2013

Wisconsin Cheese Fondue

I've been here now on several occassions and have had the same experience on both visits. First, let me say that the restaurant itself is quite nice, with wonderful dark wood accents and a nice bar, booths and a enclosed "party" area.

I really liked the atmosphere and the food, but the service was another issue. On both occassions we were herded to a nice size both for 4, seated and we waited until the waiter came by to hand us menus. He didn't get to us for at least 15 minutes after we were seated, even though the restaurant wasn't too crowded. He finally made it to us and took our drink menu and rushed off before we could also place our fondue order. He returned with our drinks and started explaining to us their "fondue" process. At this time we placed our order to wait what seemed like another 20 minutes before he came over with the pot and the cheeses to get the fodue going.

We definitely loved our choice of fondue, but we were frustrated after running out of dipping items (breads) where we had to wait yet another 15 minutes before we even caught a glimpse of the waiter at which time we requested the bread. I was quite unhappy with the service, although the waiter was upbeat and very friendly. I am not quite sure if this is their normal serving process, but I sure didn't like having to wait so long between every single request.

Thank goodness that we were all having a good upbeat day and kept ourselved engrossed in conversation, not to mention my grandson kept dipping the bread in the fondue and feeding it to me :)

After about 15 minutes from bringing us the bread the waiter came over and actually asked us if we were ready for the main course, I was a bit confused as the main course that my daughter and her husband ordered also came with its own cheese fondue which he did not bring out. I asked him about it and he said that he thought the fondue we had ordered to start was the one that was included in the main course meal....At this point we all decided to share the main course as well and just totally skip the dessert, shame, we were looking forward to it, but we didn't want to wait another 20 minutes for it to arrive.

The fondues were excellent and we did have a good time dipping as well as it was Leo's first experience and he had such a great time feeding "mama" with some yummy fondue...so, although the service left lots to desire, the experience and food made up for it.

On both of my experiences the service left lots to desire, but the food and atmosphere do make up for it. So if you are in a large group and aren't starving, don't mind the lengh of time you wait between course, then you'll have a good meal with a nice experience, otherwise, skip this place. Too many other places to eat.

Favorite Dish: We've had the Wisconsin Fondue (on both occassions) to start and on the second visit we also ordered the "Signature Entree" which included the cheese fondue to start a choice of salad and of course the "entree". The dipping pieces for the main course were pieces of filet mignon, shrimp, sirlion, boneless chicken and salmon as well as an assortment of vegatables and breads. You choose your own cooking style and we chose the Coq au Vin which was excellent. We skipped on wine and decided on individual drinks and after waiting so long between courses, we decided to skip the dessert as well and get something somewhere else.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: White Plains

Comments

Hotels Near The Melting Pot
2.0 out of 5 stars