Woodstock Travel Guide

• Woodstock
    by pipercherokee

Woodstock Things to Do

by kazander Updated Jun 27, 2006

On our way (a confusing, far too long, lost, but having fun sort of way) to Crafts people, we passed by the dam/ spillway/ gorge, I'm not sure exactly but will update with more info... Anyway is was quite picturesque, and definately worth the detour.

More to Come!!!

by feline01 Written Aug 13, 2003

I've seen this place a few times and used the facilities since they have very clean restrooms. Catskill Corners is pure tourist crap, shops with overpriced, useless junk but within this glorified mall is the World's Largest Kaleidoscope, certified by the Guinness Book of World Records. We paid our $5.00 each, expecting to be bored but were pleasantly surprised. You enter the kaleidoscope and there are wooden boards with headrests to lean against during the show but the best seat is the floor. We were lucky and no one else was in there except for me and my husband so we spread our carcasses across the floor and looked up. The show was quite pretty. The theme was patriotic which always annoys me since so many stupid things are done by the US government under the cover of "patriotism" but I overlooked this and just enjoyed the music and the amazing scenes created by the kaleidoscope. Admission to the kaleidoscope are sold in the shop next door which sells.....yes, you guessed it, kaleidoscopes. But not those cheezy, cheap ones bought in toy stores. These were work all works of art created by artists, signed and numbered. And expensive. But you're allowed to look and play with all of them so we did.

Wood carvings at Catskill Corners

• Pike Lane Bed and Breakfast

54 Pike Lane, Woodstock, New York, 12498, United States

Woodstock Restaurants

by feline01 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were desperate for someplace to eat that offered vegan food and one of the shopkeepers recommended here. It's a very simple simple place tucked off of Route 212 in a cute alcove along the banks of a creek. Good food, friendly staff and many organic/vegan/vegetarian selections make this place a good choice when in Woodstock.

Favorite Dish: I had the tofu loaf served with collard greens and pita. The tofu loaf was very tasty as were the collards. My Monkeyberry smoothie was delicious, mixed berries and banana blended with soy milk. My husband had an organic almond butter and cherry preserve sandwich which he enjoyed. They also have salads, sandwiches and special entrees. Dead animal is served as well.

The rather quaint Elijah's

by kazander Updated Jun 27, 2006

I had read a review of the New World Home Cooking Company touting it as a zagat reviewed, "carribean/thai" sort of eatery. It sounded excellent to us! But, when we got there on a Sunday about 2pm, it was actually "brunch time" . That suited us just fine. The brunch buffet had a wide variety of tasty treats, from Chimichangas to Eggs Benedict or Florentine. Everything was delicious. They get most of their ingrediants from local farmers, and much of it is organic.

Favorite Dish: Lou had one of the best Bloody Mary's ever(it's a meal unto itself). My favorite as always, was the eggs benedict

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Woodstock? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Woodstock Transportation

by feline01 Written Aug 13, 2003

Most people arrive here by car and parking is very difficult. There is a lot on Mill Hill Road that charges $4 to park all day but if you make the right off of Route 212 onto Rock Hill Road, there is a municipal lot that is free even on weekends.

And don't forget, if looking at a map-you want the Woodstock that is in Ulster County, NY-not Greene County!!!

Woodstock Shopping

by kazander Updated Jun 27, 2006

Crafts People is tucked away in the hills just outside of Woodstock. It is a collection of buildings, each with a "theme" of different sorts of locally made crafts. There is a pottery building, a jewlery building a "world crafts' building (not locally made) and a candles building. The proprietors and staff are really friendly and helpful. You will be offered a bevarage of your choice, which you can take with you as you travels to each venue. We had lemonade with fresh orange slices, but wine, iced tea and other drinks were also available.

OPEN FRI, SAT, SUN, MON 10:30AM-6PM

What to buy: I think the pottery building had the most impressive wares:)

by feline01 Updated Aug 13, 2003

I'm not a huge fan of shopping, especially for shoes or clothing but a friend had told me about this place. Their website offers a wide selection of vegan shoes (footwear made without the use of any animal products) so I had to stop in. Unfortunately, the shop doesn't stock those shoes but the staff were very friendly and did locate a great pair of shoes made from Hemp that I did buy and love. This small store has so many great shoes that it's worth a stop.

What to buy: Think of the 1960's (when I was born) and what people wore and you can find it in Woodstock. Pile on a load of art and pseudo-art and you can pretty much picture every shop in this town.

What to pay: I paid $65 for my Hemp Shoes, made by Merrell which I have been told is average.

Have you been to Woodstock? Write about Woodstock to help travelers.

Woodstock Off The Beaten Path

• by Diana_P Written Oct 5, 2002

There's a Buddhist retreat up in the hills. When we went there, we parked the car and had a picnic across from it. Peaceful and beautiful. Also make sure you check out the tattoo place at the edge of town -- the woman there is world famous and does great work, although you will be hard pressed to get in in the summer due to all the camp counselors in upstate New York booking tattoo appointments!

by feline01 Written Oct 4, 2002

Drive around the countryside. We found this covered bridge near Phoenicia, NY off of Route 212 which runs through Woodstock. There was nothing and no one around it. Just us. Perfect.

Covered Bridge somewhere near Woodstock

• Woodstock Hotels

8 Hotels in Woodstock

Instant Answers: Woodstock

Comments

Woodstock Travel Guide
Map of Woodstock