Wurtsboro Travel Guide

by moiraistyx

Wurtsboro Things to Do

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

by moiraistyx Written Jul 4, 2011

For over a year I drove by the signs for this preserve on my way to and from a client's home. One day I decided to look it up online to see exactly what it was. After looking it up, I knew I had to take some time out of my work and school schedules to take a hike along the trails.

This past weekend, Richie, the boys and I parked the dad mobile in the lot closest to route 209 and walked down Haven road to the start of the trail. We had partly cloudy skies and warm weather which was perfect for our hike.

My favorite thing about our hike was the way the clouds reflected in the waters. I also loved the fact that we were able to see a variety of wildlife during our hike which including chipmunks, squirrels, a bunch of different kinds of birds, snakes, frogs, fish and lots of bugs.

The trails wind along the preserve for a number of miles in each direction, unfortunately the section we took was flooded over about half a mile in so we had to turn back. The other side of the trail was flooded as well. This is a risk you run when you hike along a trail next to a water way.

The trail is well groomed but buggy. Bring along a bottle of water and some snacks if you plan to hike for a while. Good tennies or hiking shoes are a must. The trail is a mix of shady and sunny spots so you might want to bring sun block as well. You can hike or bike the trails. If you are into nature you can stop at the Canal Towne Emporium in the Village of Wurtsboro and pick up a field guide for the wetlands. There is no charge to hike here.

• Hiking and Walking

Wurtsboro Hotels

Instant Answers: Wurtsboro

Comments

Wurtsboro Travel Guide
Map of Wurtsboro