Asheville Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Asheville

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

The Antique Tobacco Barn & More

by charlenemixa Updated Jun 2, 2014

We are not traditionally antique shopping people, but on our past visit we decided to look for some stained glass for some windows we had recently redone. A shop keeper in Black Mountain told us to go to the "Antique Tobacco Barn. It has everything!" She was correct this place is HUGE. We found an amazing selection of stained glass windows from homes and churches in England. They have an expansive collection of antiques. Also along Swannanoa River Rd, Asheville, NC
    we found other antique shops that had excellent selections of antiques. Plus it was just fun to stroll through these.

After our visit to the Tobacco Barn we did some research and found a plethora of antique places in Asheville. So antiquers (any you may have known this but we didn't) we have a blast in Asheville.

Be sure to wear comfy shoes and clothes, they are not air conditioned and it can be a little junky and dusty.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Art Deco masterpiece for sale now!

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

S & W BUILDING, ASHEVILLE

S & W Building in downtown (56 Patton Ave.) - one of Asheville's most recognized art deco landmarks - was built in 1929-1930. It was deseigned by Douglas D. Ellington, an architect then living in Asheville (born in Clayton, NC). He designed numerous buildings in Asheville and also the University of Pennsylvania, and the famous Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. S & W Building houses S & W Cafeteria which is worth of short visit for art deco interior or coffee break. Pay attention to the use of pink granite, gold leaf, glazed terracotta, metal, and polished marble.

Just in case you have $2.9 mln to spend :-), the property is for sale. Follow the link below for details. But think first how many great travels you may experience for that money :-).

• doug48's Profile Photo

by doug48 Updated Jul 24, 2009

lake lure

lake lure and chimney rock village is a very nice side trip from asheville. lake lure is a beautiful mountain lake and chimney rock village is home to chimney rock state park. the lake lure area offers boating, fishing, hiking, and a number of good bars and restaurants. lake lure is located about 30 miles east of asheville. from downtown take I-40 to I-26 east. on I-26 exit US 64 north. for more information see my lake lure and chimney rock pages.

• Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

• doug48's Profile Photo

hendersonville

by doug48 Updated Jul 24, 2009

main street hendersonville

hendersonville is a small town located about 20 miles southeast of asheville. hendersonville has a very nice downtown historic district. hendersonville's main street has a collection of shops, restaurants, bars, and two museums. hendersonville is a very worth while side trip when in the asheville area. from downtown asheville take I-40 to I-26 east. on I-26 east exit on to US 64. see my hendersonville pages for more information.

• Museum Visits

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo

Skytop Orchards in Zirconia

by TimDaoust Written Dec 5, 2008

We took about a 45 minute drive to the south of Asheville to tour the apple orchard in Zirconia and pick apples. A fun time was had by all. You just go in and get a basket of your desired size and fill it up and pay on the way out. They serve hot cider here, cider slushies, and oh, the best apple cider donuts, in fact, the only apple cider donuts I have ever had. $6 for ten of them. Can't beat that.

They have about 25 varieties of apple trees too so you're getting a huge variety of apples to choose from. Granted, this all depends on the time of the season during which you visit. Some apple trees were picked bare and others were under ripe. They also have Asian Pears and Peaches among other things.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Carl Sandburg House

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Jan 25, 2008
    Sandburg's

About 30 miles southeast of Asheville lies the town of Flat Rock. Carl Sandburg purchased a house here that became his home until he died. Situated on a hill overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains it was a perfect place for Carl to write while his wife raised champion goats (no kidding! pun intended!)

Upon his death, Sandburg's wife donated the house and it's contents to the National Park Service. She literally left everything and moved to Asheville. If you tour the house ($5.00 fee), you will find it exactly as it was when Carl Sandburg lived there. Stacks of magazines, walls of books, awards, prized and more walking sticks than you can imagine.

After touring the house you can visit the farm and see some of the descendants of the prize goats. There are also numerous trails to walk on.

I knew nothing of Carl Sandburg before visiting. This trip was a great education on Carl that is in a beautiful park setting. You could walk the property regardless of who lived there and still enjoy the visit. Serene!

• National/State Park

Lake Lure - pure beauty!

LAKE LURE

Lake Lure was a filming location for scenes from the movies Dirty Dancing (1987). Do you remember that famous musical and romance film starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey? It's a little, mountainous town and old (as for the USA - 1927) spa located along the very beautiful lake with deep green waters, sandy beaches around, rocky and covered by forest mountains up around. National Geographic has called Lake Lure one of the most beautiful man-made lakes in the world and they are right!

There is Lake Lure Pavilion on a lake peninsula. It's a wooden, pretty located building that people rent for various meetings, reunions etc. It offers a beautiful view of Chimney Rock Mountains, the beachfront, and the marina. Town of Lure is only a short drive (some 3-4 miles) from Chimney Rock and only 28 miles southeast of Asheville.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

THE GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS IN FALL

Whenever you stay in Ashville a day trip to the magnificient Great Smoky Mountains covered by forests is a must. It's a part of the Blue Ridge Mountains which are a division of the larger Appalachian Mountains, I know from my geography classes at school.

I drove some 50 miles west of Asheville to enter Great Smoky Mountains National Park (FREE entrance, no fee!) and passed the park and North Carolina - Tennessee state line driving U.S. Highway 441 (Newfound Gap Road). I stopped at numerous lookouts. Views over the mountains are spectacular, never to forget especially in peak fall season. I was lucky to be there (half-late October usually). I took some hiking along the Appalachian Trail, too.

Warning: check the weather forecast before you go and plan your trip on sunny day if possible. Foggy and rainy weather is quite common in the Great Smoky Mountains. Only some parts of Washington state and Alaska get more rains.

• National/State Park

Chimney Rock :-)

WOODEN STAIRS, THE CHIMNEY ROCK PARK

Chimney Rock Park is a privately owned park in Chimney Rock, 25 miles southeast of Asheville. Wow, I am very happy I hit my car there! If you are in Asheville, relax, book a room in Chimney Rock and stay there for one day. You will be impressed! Take time to smell roses!

I enjoyed a lot hiking outstanding rocks, climbing net of unbelievable pretty and unique wooden stairs and platforms fixed to the steep rocks and passing narrow passages between the rocks. Add underground waterfall inside a cave, and spectacular views of surrounding mountains with the town, river and lake down (if it's not foggy though). Strolling along town full of beautiful, old, wooden houses, shopping in local shops lined along winding street with a mountain river in backyard was a blast!

Carl Sandburg Home in Flat Rock

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 12, 2007

LAKE IN CONNEMARA ESTATE, FLAT ROCK, NC

There was no vacancy for my second night in Asheville. Therefore I had to drive south to South Carolina. The next morning on the way back driving US-25 as soon as I noticed large direction sign: Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site I followed it and I was lucky to discover one of the most beautiful places in North Carolina - a place of silence, peace, beautiful lake, fresh mountain air, pretty trees in fall colours - where I was also lucky to get to know more about life of a famous American poet and his family, to see how he lived and to take time to smell roses.

Carl August Sandburg (1878 - 1967) was an American poet, historian, novelist, balladeer and folklorist, born in Illinois from Swedish parents. At age 67 his family moved from the Midwest to the Connemara estate, in Flat Rock, North Carolina. Wow! This beautiful, peaceful hilly area with pretty lake surrounded by trees in fall colours really amazed me. The Sandburg's white house on a top of a hill overlooks mountains up and meadows below. I enjoyed a short but interesting guided house tour as well as a stroll around the property with barns, farmyard, animals grazing etc.

Do NOT skip Biltmore Inn

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 12, 2007

BILTMORE INN

The Biltmore Inn, the four stars hotel and the only accommodation at the Biltmore Estate is skipped by most visitors to the estate. That's why I include it in the off the beaten path category. You may stay there if you can spend over $200 - $400 (depends on a season) per night for two people. If not, like me, do stop and visit its impressive interiors and gardens around. You will be welcome by a smiling doorman opening doors leading to the lobby :-).

I didn't like the building exterior. They should create something more old-fashionable in style in such place, I think. But the spacious lobby bar designed in style of the early 20th century really impressed me. I liked especially the stone wall with two fireplaces and a lot of space around and above me. Add that smiling doorman dressed in a suit opening entrance door for you :-) I also liked gardens with some wooden passages and garden structures covered by climbing plants.

• Luxury Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

A few trees of exceptional beauty!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 25, 2007

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL TREE!

During my long visit to numerous attractions of the huge Biltmore Estate I found a few unbelievable beautiful trees off the beaten path.

They were unique, at least for me, as we don't have them in Poland or Europe or I have never seen them. Add some trees in wonderful fall colours and some beautiful and hidden flowers/fruits in the Biltmore Gardens. I think they should add an exposition on trees and forests of the estate with pictures and information on various tree specious. Some trees looked georgeus in fall colours.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Peace, quiet and beauty in the Biltmore Estate :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 24, 2007

THE BASS POND, THE BILTMORE ESTATE

This charming and unbelievable beautiful lake surrounded by trees in fall colours, mainly in yellow is called the Bass Pond. In late October it remained me what is called the Gold Polish Fall (Autumn) which I had seen in Poland a few weeks before. I felt like at home in this place. Well, some deer should cross my path, but they didn't :-).

The Bass Pond is located in the Biltmore Estate but off the beaten path: in the most southern part of the Biltmore Gardens. That's why there were no, even one, visitors when I was there. What a nice contrast with the crowded Biltmore House. From the Biltmore House take a trail southwards called then the Bass Pond Path and walk down some 40-50 min. On the way you have all other gardens and may amaze the first managed forests in America.

Something very American?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 22, 2007

RED BRICK HOUSE, ASHEVILLE

Strolling around Asheville downtown I easily found a few blocks of red-brick houses with well preserved old commercial writings and names of various companies written on them. Some of these houses are a bit neglected and don't look to be inhabited but some are pretty renovated. Whenever I see something like this I think that these houses are very American (or maybe English as well?) remains of the industrial era and were built for workers, mainly poor farmers and immigrants who came and settled in Asheville in search for job, money and better life. Boring? Well, not for me as we don't have it in Poland.

While Asheville prospered in the 1910's and 1920's, the Great Depression of 1930's hit Asheville quite hard. Most of Asheville's banks closed. The "per capita" debt held by the city (through municipal bonds) was the highest of any city in the nation. Rather than default, the city paid those debts over a period of 50 years.

Extravagant courthouse

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 15, 2007

BUNCOMBE COUNTY COURTHOUSE, ASHEVILLE

This 17-floor high rise building in classical style (Neo-Classical Revival) has powerful granite columns at the entrance and on the facade and to my suprise houses Buncombe County Courthouse since its completion in 1928. All local courthouses in the USA I have seen look quite different. First of all they have never been tall, second they usually have reminded me less or more classical ancient temple with columns and round cupola.

Buncombe County Courthouse was the tallest local government building in North Carolina in 1928 and I think it was also one of the most extravagent courthouses in the USA. I was told that its interior and main hall instead of being modest as usual in local courthouses, was richly ornamented with marble, bronze, glass and plasterworks. And it is one of the best-preserved and most elegant Neo-Classical interiors in the state.

Unfortunatelly the court was closed to public when I was there. But you may see at least the lobby during office hours: 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday through Friday. Address: 60 Court Plaza (map: follow the 1st link below). By the way, whenever you visit county seat in North Carolina look for county courthouse. These buildings are always interesting for every old architecture lover (map: follow the 2nd link below).

Instant Answers: Asheville

Comments

Asheville Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Asheville off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asheville sightseeing.