Asheville Restaurants

• Scenic mountain views from Sunset Terrace
    Scenic mountain views from Sunset...
    by charlenemixa

• doug48's Profile Photo

havanna: cuban cuisine

by doug48 Written Jul 23, 2009

havana restaurant

the havana restaurant is a great place to have lunch in downtown asheville. they serve very good cuban cuisine at moderate prices. on my recent visit to asheville i had their cuban sandwich which was just as good as ones i have ordered in miami and tampa. a nice inexpensive place to eat in downtown asheville.

• Architecture
    • National/State Park

• doug48's Profile Photo

sunset terrace: great view

by doug48 Written Jul 23, 2009

sunset terrace at the grove park inn

the sunset terrace restaurant is located in the historic grove park inn hotel. obviously the sunset terrace is a great place to have an early dinner and watch the sunset. the sunset terrace offers a three course prixe fixe dinner for $ 30. you can also order off the menue if you so desire. the cuisine is new american and i thought the prixe fixe dinner was a good value. a very nice restaurant to visit when in the asheville area. reservations recommended.

• Architecture
    • National/State Park

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Zambra!: Tapas, Wine & belly dancing

by Deborahtnc Updated Dec 16, 2008

New Year's Eve at Zambra

Zambra...the very name means a gypsy dance of celebration! I have eaten at this restaurant many times and am almost always amazed and satisfied. They spent a lot of time and money on the interior which makes you think you are in a Moorish castle (tent?) I dunno. The long, curving stone bar is beautiful. There are large stone columns, small rooms with pillows for parties of 4-6, & high windows that open up to the street. It can be a truly magical place on weekend nights when a spanish or jazz group is playing and the belly dancers are there. Even without entertainment though, the food is the main attraction. Don't go if you are in a hurry, this is a place to spend time.
    UPDATE 2008/9 New Year's Eve looks great! I have already made a reservation. Get a spot at the bar before they are all gone.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes often featuring contemporay twists on food from Spain and N. Africa. A starter of Olives with Preserved Lemons is wonderful for a group of 4 or more (its a lot of olives). They also feature Risotto, mussels, bits of various meats and poultry with mysterious and succulent sauces, great salads. They also have hundreds of wine for the connoisseur (a little pricy)....and the tequilas! Specialty drinks are varied and interesting. The beer on tap is reasonably priced. Although I would recommend this restaurant to any size group, I feel it is best enjoyed by 2 people sitting at the bar. You can share each small dish, it is intimate and the service is immaculate. It is close to the music. Additionally, you can meet and talk to people from all over who have come to enjoy that special ambience that is Asheville. P.S. they have late hours at the bar and it's a great place to go after a concert or show for a snack and a drink.

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo

Dripolator: Organic Fair Trade Shade Grown!

by TimDaoust Written Dec 5, 2008

Okay, so I never went in this place. But I had every intention of doing so. Just ran out of time. The owners of the coffee shop that I worked at in college told me that one of their former employees was managing this joint now, so I wanted to stop in an get some joe from friends. But no dice. I will try and make it back next time for sure. They serve counter culture coffee which I know to be of good quality because the first coffee shop I worked at in Boone, NC (Crossroads) served their coffee and Helios Cafe of Raleigh also serves their coffee.

Jerusalem Garden Cafe: Excellent Mediterranean Food

by TimDaoust Written Dec 5, 2008

This place had excellent falafel and babaganoush. Really amazing decor and awesome service. In the back of the restaurant they had traditional seating on pillows in what they call the tent. On Thursdays and Fridays they have belly dancing and live music, which regrettably we missed as we went during the day on Saturday.

Favorite Dish: Try the vegetarian platter, it comes with hummus, babaganoush, stuffed grape leaves and falafel and more.

Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria: Lots of Beer on tap

Me and a friend

I regret to say we didn't try any of the pizza here but I hear it's good. The main thing I have to say about this place is that they have so many beers on tap my head was spinning. 24 taps downstairs and 19 upstairs, and a lot are locally made in NC. They have live jazz and other music at least three nights a week and upstairs, there are about four pool tables several dartboards and a few foosball tables. We found ourselves playing foosball after a short time of drinking.

Favorite Dish: At the time I was there, in early fall, they had the Catawba River Pumpkin Ale which was pretty amazing. I'm going to make it back here sometime to try the food.

• Beer Tasting

• TimDaoust's Profile Photo

Laughing Seed Cafe: Vegetarian Cuisine?

Outside Laughing Seed Cafe

This place was neat. I'm not a huge vegetarian, or one at all for that matter, but I can really enjoy good culinary tourism where ever I go and this place was definitely tasty. They have a very unique menu which you can view online. It's located pretty centrally in the downtown area on Wall Street.

Oh and they have local beer here too, Green Man Ales. Read more about them here

Favorite Dish: Try the Hempnut Burger. I know that's such a cliche for the non-vegetarian to get the thing on the menu with the word "burger" in it, but it was really good. A patty composed of millet and hempnut served topped with red cabbage, grated carrots and clover sprouts, lettuce and tomato. Yum.

Also, try the Jalapeno-Onion Fries.

• cabosanlucus's Profile Photo

Closed

by cabosanlucus Written Apr 4, 2008

Several of the restaurants listed here are now closed. Asheville is a quickly changing town, especially in the food industry. I would suggest you call or google the name before you try to find it. Anthony's and Max's Deli are both now closed. Asheville is still full of great food though!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Doc Chey's Asian Kitchen: Quick And Tasty noodle house downtown!

by Hexepatty Written Mar 29, 2008

Ate here a few weeks ago and their menu for vegan's was extensive and the staff was overboard friendly and accomodating. Inexpensive, quick and in a nice location for people watching downtown. It's my favorite Asheville restaurant.

Basically they have Rice Bowls and Noodle Dishes... think Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese or Indian. And they do it with different proteins (from Tofu, to pork, chicken, shrimp and /or beef). Different sauces, different veggies all with your choice of protein and put on top of rice or noodles. TOTALLY dig this place!

Favorite Dish: I had the GRILLED EGGPLANT with tofu over rice which included wok-seared Japanese eggplant, red peppers & onions in sweet garlic sauce. Yum!

• The Sunset Terrace @ Grove Park Inn: Awesome Food! Great Service!

by BDWSST Written Jan 24, 2008

Everything is excellent! The menu consists of Prime beef and fresh seafood. The lunch menu is lighter fare and quick while still being excellent in quality! The view is magnificent looking out over the Great Smoky Mountains and the Pisgah national forest. You can dine inside or out ( weather permitting!) A must see for travelers ans locals!

Favorite Dish: Chilean line caught Seabass! Very fresh!

• Wine Tasting

• azcanyondreamer's Profile Photo

Asheville Pizza: Great Pizza and Cheap Movies

by azcanyondreamer Written Oct 7, 2007

Asheville Pizza is a place that I visit every time that I am in town (couple times a year). The pizza is fantastic, the thin crust really does it for me. They have some wonderful and wacky combination pizzas that are fun to try. I prefer to catch a movie when I am there. It is so nice to sit down order your food up at the bar and start watching a movie. Fresh made pizza, great micro-brew and good movies.

Favorite Dish: The Greek Pizza, I have a had time ordering anything else.

• Rafting

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Blue Ridge Dining Room: Breakfast Buffet in the Grove Park Inn

by 807Wheaton Written Aug 15, 2007

View of the spa area of the Grove Park Inn

When you eat in the Blue Ridge Dining Room you have a view of the mountains and some of the spa area that has been created in the front of the Grove Park Inn. We were seated by the table so we had a beautiful view of the area at breakfast.

Favorite Dish: We had the breakfast buffet which costs $16.95 + 18% gratuity.
    The only fresh fruit was cut up cantaloupe, honey dew and pineapple, which tasted fine.
    There were no bowls of apples, oranges, or other fresh fruit. There was only a little Yogurt set out.
    The chef is there to prepare an omelette with any of the fixings. He had onions, chopped tomatoes, spinache, mushrooms, cheese, peppers, scallops and sausage.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Corner Kitchen: Have a meal at the Corner Kitchen

by 807Wheaton Written Aug 15, 2007

Corner Kitchen

The Corner Kitchen had a good selection of salads and soups, mostly casual cuisine for lunch.
    All the tables had nice white tablecloths and the flatware was wrapped in pressed cloth napkins. We were served promptly.

Favorite Dish: My husband ordered the potato soup - it was really good. It was thick and rich with a good potato flavor. He also got a salad and a biscuit with this.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Jack of the Wood: no brew like home brew

by richiecdisc Written Jul 28, 2007

meat pie go well with the IPA

Some places you would like to go to; others you make a point to. I had read about Jack of the Wood prior to heading to the Carolinas and was dismayed when I learned of its late opening time on the day we planned on passing through town. I was glad when previous plans did not work out and was able to arrange a stop albeit a brief one. It is a good approximation of an Irish pub and I am not generally a big fan of such things outside of the Emerald Isle but this one hits it pretty well as far as atmosphere is concerned. That they brew their own beers only adds to the mix. Lots of wood add to its character, the barman is a character, and the more you drink the more you feel like a character in a JP Donleavy novel. The Gingerman indeed.

Favorite Dish: We had had a big breakfast and had skipped lunch so we were famished by the time we arrived. We literally waited outside the door to get in right when it opened. We both opted for what we figured would be a hearty meal of Sheppard's Pie ($8.95). Though it was quite tasty, it was a little smaller than you might generally expect. Don't get me wrong, the mix of lamb and beer under a great garlic mash was a perfect accompaniment to their ESB and porter, both well made and lowly carbonated English style ales. Actually, we were still so hungry we opted for a cheese platter ($6.95) and their hoppy IPA. After walking around town for an hour we went back for more IPA and wound up splitting a meal of meat pies before hitting the road!

• Beer Tasting

• Kristin's Profile Photo

Early Girl Eatery: Delicious biscuits and local sausage

by Kristin Written Jul 17, 2007

We stopped in this small eatery on the cobblestoned Wall Street and were pleasantly surprised. You walk in past the kitchen and back to a spacious, sunlit space with the basics. The decor is not too fancy, but what you would want for a cheap place. We went for breakfast, so I only looked at the breakfast menu, but it had all the basics plus a lot of healthy options. The sweet potato and local sausage omelette was a big hit with my party, and the breakfast meats in general were well-cooked, not dried out, not too small.
    There are lunch and dinner options too, and my local "guide" tells me that all the food is good.

Favorite Dish: The black bean and cheddar omelette. Make sure you treat yourself to some biscuits - the vegetarian gravy was a pleasant surprise and a welcome addition.

Instant Answers: Asheville

Comments

Asheville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Asheville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asheville sightseeing.