Asheville Restaurants

sunset terrace at the grove park inn
    by doug48

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Cracker Barrel: A country restaurant

by GUYON Updated Oct 3, 2006
    Cracker Barrel

This chaine of restaurants is well settled in the area and there was a Cracker Barrel just beside our hotel.
    We went there to dinner. I must confess I do not remember what we ate : I only keep in mind an average meal in a wooden building. The price was chip : only 20 $ for two.

Adjacent to the restaurant there was a shop selling miscellaneous items : toys, dolls, music boxes, perfumes, etc...

• Seniors

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Doc Chey' s Asian Kitchen: Once a year, go someplace you've never been before

by Deborahtnc Updated Sep 20, 2006

I didn't realize this was a local southern chain until I looked up the address for this article and found that they are in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina as well as this solitary N. Carolina location in Asheville. But no matter! I like this place. The lines are often long but they move right along and there is a good reason for that. This place is FAST FAST FAST. But don't get me wrong..they do not rush you, they are just organized. Don't try to get seated until all your party is present. They give you just enough time to look at the menu...you order...your food comes...you're done! This is a great place to go before a concert especially if, like me, you always seem to be running a bit late.

Favorite Dish: My husband likes the tea. I like the saki. The menu is chinese, japanese and noodles. It's all good and varied enough to please almost any palate. What's not to like, they serve peace, love and noodles.

• Business Travel

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Salsa's: ...always a surprise!

by Deborahtnc Updated Sep 20, 2006

Salsa's...a reflection of asheville

This small, bustling restaurant in downtown Asheville is simply bursting with color, aroma and, well, yes, SALSA! I mean they actually have Hector Diaz, the owner's, own hot sauce for sale there. There is almost always a wait to get in but hey, this is Asheville. Sit at the four seat outside bar or in the benches outside and watch both tourists and Asheville's colorful citizens drift by. If it is too cool or rainy to sit outside in the small alley you can crowd inside with the rest of the happy diners and enjoy the ever changing art on the walls. If you go for lunch, Hector will almost always be cooking and directing your meal himself. You can see him in there in the tiny kitchen. I think this is the best time to go, although I have never had a bad meal there.

Favorite Dish: The menu is constantly changing as only the freshest in season foods are used and each meal is made to order. Most main meals feature plaintains and black beans and at least one type of fresh salsa, my favorite is the avocado salsa. Last time I went I had the most amazing shrimp empanada. And a Habanero Margarita. Did I tell you they make their own Margarita mix- all fresh juices. This one had habaneros steeped in it. The chips are to die for and you can get them with four very different salsas. The pork plate is better than any southern barbeque. This is the best of Caribbean food with a Mexican flair.

• Business Travel

• no1birdlady's Profile Photo

Sagebrush Steakhouse: Great steaks

by no1birdlady Updated May 5, 2006

This is a popular and crowded restaurant with a western theme inside. It's a big noisy place especially on the weekend but the food was very good. We had a very good steak for dinner and a tower of onion rings for appetizer.

Favorite Dish: Steaks are very good.

• Seniors

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Stone Ridge Tavern: Great place to eat near Biltmore Square

by travelfrosch Updated Mar 11, 2006

Fresh, well-prepared food, good atmosphere, and excellent service. The restaurant specializes in steaks and fresh fish, with a slight Greek accent to the cuisine. An extensive selection of beer on tap, as well as a pretty good wine list.

Favorite Dish: I had the Tuna Oscar, a grilled tuna fillet with a cream lobster-crabmeat sauce. For dessert, I had the Baclava, which the menu touted as "the real thing." It was.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Fishing

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria: Good place in Downtown Asheville

by travelfrosch Written Dec 16, 2005

From the restaurant's website

The place has a woodsy, local hangout feel, with a younger clientele. Decent selection of pizzas, calzones, and burgers. Vegetarian options are also available. Large selection of local microbrews on tap. There appears to be live music, but we didn't stay for the show.

Favorite Dish: The whole crowd had "Beefalo Burgers." They were a bit dry, but tasty. The salads and sides were well prepared.

• Fishing
    • Hiking and Walking

• Stable Cafe at the Biltmore Estate: Biltmore Estate dining

by Travelsteph Written Oct 13, 2004

I thought the food and atmosphere were both great. The restarant is located in a 19th Century barn that has been refurbished. The guests dine in renovated horse stalls which only enhances the atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I had the oak smoked chicken breast which was absolutely delicious.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Women's Travel

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Bistro 1896: Ostrich, anyone?

by b1bob Updated Jul 31, 2004

Bistro 1896

Located in Pack Square, murals show old images of the city 100 years earlier. Jazz was playing on the loudspeaker. Real candles were on the wall surrounded by an ornate bracket. We got there at the perfect time, 5.30 pm. A half an hour later and we maybe would have been able to eat on the cafe outdoors. As the sun was setting, it was fixing to get chilly.

Favorite Dish: For an appetiser, both Mark and I had fried green tomatoes garnished with shrimp, feta cheese, country ham, cream, Cajun spice, in what I call Henri sauce (named after Chef Jamie Henri). For the entree, I had wild mushroom and roasted pepper pasta, containing cremini, shiitake and portabella mushrooms tossed with spinach and sun dried tomatoes in a roasted garlic gorganzola red wine reduction. Mark had ostrich in a cognac demi-glace and a sweet potato puree. The sweet potato puree is the ONLY thing that deterred me from ordering the ostrich dish. Mark and I debated on dessert. I had a flourless chocolate cake- an individual chocolate cake with port wine ice cream and raspberry and orange compote. Mark had bread pudding with honey ice cream and white chocolate creme anglais. The food and ambience were great, but, because they try too hard.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Battery Park Bistro: A shelter from the storm . . .

by acemj Updated Aug 11, 2003

my pasta

We were walking through Asheville counting our blessings that it hadn't rained all day, when all of a sudden a loud cracking noise in the sky announced a coming storm. As the rain started, we decided to pop into the closest place and all in all, it turned out to be a good call.

I like the fact that this is a privately owned place and the atmosphere is cozy. Our server was a little strange. I speculated that he was unhappy living in Asheville because he's not artistic like many of his neighbors and therefore, in a desperate attempt to find his niche, he decided to become "moody guy." Who knows?

Favorite Dish: The food was good, but not exceptional. The best part was a simple appetizer consisting of fresh, organic tomatoes, bread and cheese. There were three varieties of tomatoes, but the waiter didn't know exactly what they were called. I think one of them was a Cherokee something or other (it has a purplish hue and meaty flesh).

For a main course, I had a portabello mushroom pasta dish that was good, but could have been even better. The mushroom was minced (I prefer chunks) and the sauce was a little thin, but the taste was excellent.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Bistro 1896 (this time for lunch): Sticking with a good thing . . .

by acemj Written Aug 10, 2003

Normally, I love to try new things and I want variety, variety and more variety. But, sometimes, it pays to stick with a good thing. I was visiting Asheville with some friends in August of' '03 and decided to take them to a place that I knew would be a winner. The last time I was here was a great experience and it was a pleasant surprise to come back and discover that the lunch time prices are much lower than at dinner time.

Favorite Dish: I had a great beer from the Highland Brewing Company, which happens to be an Asheville based brewery. I tried the St. Terese's Pale Ale, which was slightly malty and had a nice spice to it.

Then, I had a light lunch which consisted of some good bread and a Spinach-Strawberry Salad with an almost candied walnut crunch and a cool, tangy dressing. It was awesome!

• acemj's Profile Photo

At the Biltmore Estate: Ice cream!

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

After you've toured the estate, you might want to head over to the Carriage House and grab some ice cream at this little shop. Unfortunately, it's not made on the premises, but it is purchased from a local ice cream maker.

Bistro 1896: In the heart of town, a restaurant with heart

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

VT member b1bob and I decided to step away from the crowds and visit this little bistro for an early dinner. We arrived just before the crowds started to fill the seats and enjoyed a great meal in this comfortable downtown location. The walls are decorated with historic photos of Asheville and funky murals of the city painted right on the walls. Our waitress, Amber was really professional and friendly.

Favorite Dish: The business card describes the food as "Creative American Cuisine" and I'd have to agree. For an appetizer, we tried the fried green tomatoes served with barbecue shrimp and a great sauce. I had ostrich in a cognac demi-glace with pureed sweet potatoes and steamed vegetables. Ostrich tastes similar to a steak, although it is a much leaner and healthier meat. Mine was served medium rare with peppercorns and was outstanding. Nat had a mushroom pasta that was also really good. For dessert he had a flourless chocolate cake with a port wine ice cream and I had a delicious bread pudding served with honey ice cream and a white chocolate creme anglais.

Max's Celebrity Grill

Max's Celebrity Grill
    Popular restaurant, good place to mingle.

Favorite Dish: Great place where you should definitely sit outside and breathe the fresh mountain air.
    Good deli style sandwiches.
    Menu is thematic and cheesy, but the food is good.

• patista's Profile Photo

Rio Burrito: Best Burritos......yum yum!

by patista Written Mar 15, 2003

This is a wonderful little spot located on Broadway. Great service, ambiance, and of course, gigantic, delicious, inexpensive burritos!

Favorite Dish: Chicken burrito with black beans, guacamole, tomatoes, and lettuce.

• wanderlust...'s Profile Photo

The Ultimate Ice Cream Co. and Sweet Heaven: I Scream.....

by wanderlust... Updated Nov 22, 2002

I am a FAN. I LOVE ice cream. Both of these places are ice cream/coffee shops with fun atmospheres. And homemade ice cream. Flavors like pumpkin, ginger, key lime pie gelato, cranberry, and of course all the usuals (but better). Of the two, I I like Ultimate's ice cream best, but Sweet Heaven has a better location, live music on the weekends, and they serve soups & sandwhiches too.

Favorite Dish: Fresh Ginger ice cream and Key Lime Pie Gelato (both from Ultimate)

Instant Answers: Asheville

Comments

Asheville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Asheville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asheville sightseeing.