Asheville Restaurants

• Scenic mountain views from Sunset Terrace
    Scenic mountain views from Sunset...
    The Smoked Gnocchi small plate
  • Succulent Seared Scallop - small plate split
    Succulent Seared Scallop - small plate...

Most Recent Restaurants in Asheville

• cabosanlucus's Profile Photo

Closed

by cabosanlucus Written Apr 4, 2008

Several of the restaurants listed here are now closed. Asheville is a quickly changing town, especially in the food industry. I would suggest you call or google the name before you try to find it. Anthony's and Max's Deli are both now closed. Asheville is still full of great food though!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Doc Chey's Asian Kitchen: Quick And Tasty noodle house downtown!

by Hexepatty Written Mar 29, 2008

Ate here a few weeks ago and their menu for vegan's was extensive and the staff was overboard friendly and accomodating. Inexpensive, quick and in a nice location for people watching downtown. It's my favorite Asheville restaurant.

Basically they have Rice Bowls and Noodle Dishes... think Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese or Indian. And they do it with different proteins (from Tofu, to pork, chicken, shrimp and /or beef). Different sauces, different veggies all with your choice of protein and put on top of rice or noodles. TOTALLY dig this place!

Favorite Dish: I had the GRILLED EGGPLANT with tofu over rice which included wok-seared Japanese eggplant, red peppers & onions in sweet garlic sauce. Yum!

• The Sunset Terrace @ Grove Park Inn: Awesome Food! Great Service!

by BDWSST Written Jan 24, 2008

Everything is excellent! The menu consists of Prime beef and fresh seafood. The lunch menu is lighter fare and quick while still being excellent in quality! The view is magnificent looking out over the Great Smoky Mountains and the Pisgah national forest. You can dine inside or out ( weather permitting!) A must see for travelers ans locals!

Favorite Dish: Chilean line caught Seabass! Very fresh!

• Wine Tasting

• azcanyondreamer's Profile Photo

Asheville Pizza: Great Pizza and Cheap Movies

by azcanyondreamer Written Oct 7, 2007

Asheville Pizza is a place that I visit every time that I am in town (couple times a year). The pizza is fantastic, the thin crust really does it for me. They have some wonderful and wacky combination pizzas that are fun to try. I prefer to catch a movie when I am there. It is so nice to sit down order your food up at the bar and start watching a movie. Fresh made pizza, great micro-brew and good movies.

Favorite Dish: The Greek Pizza, I have a had time ordering anything else.

• Rafting

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Blue Ridge Dining Room: Breakfast Buffet in the Grove Park Inn

by 807Wheaton Written Aug 15, 2007

When you eat in the Blue Ridge Dining Room you have a view of the mountains and some of the spa area that has been created in the front of the Grove Park Inn. We were seated by the table so we had a beautiful view of the area at breakfast.

Favorite Dish: We had the breakfast buffet which costs $16.95 + 18% gratuity.
    The only fresh fruit was cut up cantaloupe, honey dew and pineapple, which tasted fine.
    There were no bowls of apples, oranges, or other fresh fruit. There was only a little Yogurt set out.
    The chef is there to prepare an omelette with any of the fixings. He had onions, chopped tomatoes, spinache, mushrooms, cheese, peppers, scallops and sausage.

View of the spa area of the Grove Park Inn

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Corner Kitchen: Have a meal at the Corner Kitchen

by 807Wheaton Written Aug 15, 2007

The Corner Kitchen had a good selection of salads and soups, mostly casual cuisine for lunch.
    All the tables had nice white tablecloths and the flatware was wrapped in pressed cloth napkins. We were served promptly.

Favorite Dish: My husband ordered the potato soup - it was really good. It was thick and rich with a good potato flavor. He also got a salad and a biscuit with this.

Corner Kitchen

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Jack of the Wood: no brew like home brew

by richiecdisc Written Jul 28, 2007

Some places you would like to go to; others you make a point to. I had read about Jack of the Wood prior to heading to the Carolinas and was dismayed when I learned of its late opening time on the day we planned on passing through town. I was glad when previous plans did not work out and was able to arrange a stop albeit a brief one. It is a good approximation of an Irish pub and I am not generally a big fan of such things outside of the Emerald Isle but this one hits it pretty well as far as atmosphere is concerned. That they brew their own beers only adds to the mix. Lots of wood add to its character, the barman is a character, and the more you drink the more you feel like a character in a JP Donleavy novel. The Gingerman indeed.

Favorite Dish: We had had a big breakfast and had skipped lunch so we were famished by the time we arrived. We literally waited outside the door to get in right when it opened. We both opted for what we figured would be a hearty meal of Sheppard's Pie ($8.95). Though it was quite tasty, it was a little smaller than you might generally expect. Don't get me wrong, the mix of lamb and beer under a great garlic mash was a perfect accompaniment to their ESB and porter, both well made and lowly carbonated English style ales. Actually, we were still so hungry we opted for a cheese platter ($6.95) and their hoppy IPA. After walking around town for an hour we went back for more IPA and wound up splitting a meal of meat pies before hitting the road!

meat pie go well with the IPA Jack in the Wood should not be missed
    • Beer Tasting

• Kristin's Profile Photo

Early Girl Eatery: Delicious biscuits and local sausage

by Kristin Written Jul 17, 2007

We stopped in this small eatery on the cobblestoned Wall Street and were pleasantly surprised. You walk in past the kitchen and back to a spacious, sunlit space with the basics. The decor is not too fancy, but what you would want for a cheap place. We went for breakfast, so I only looked at the breakfast menu, but it had all the basics plus a lot of healthy options. The sweet potato and local sausage omelette was a big hit with my party, and the breakfast meats in general were well-cooked, not dried out, not too small.
    There are lunch and dinner options too, and my local "guide" tells me that all the food is good.

Favorite Dish: The black bean and cheddar omelette. Make sure you treat yourself to some biscuits - the vegetarian gravy was a pleasant surprise and a welcome addition.

• Rezaz Restaurant and Enoteca.: The best steak I've ever had.

by MANXCATS Updated Jun 28, 2007

This is a very busy wine bar in a very busy town but the service was excellent and so was the wine. As for the food, I'm still talking about it a year later! It was very good value by UK prices, even allowing for the favourable exchange rate.

Favorite Dish: Organic steak cooked just right......charred on the outside and red inside mmmmmm!
    It was served cut into thick slices on a bed of very tasty "jus" with peppers artfully placed on top.

• Wine Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Cats and Dawgs, a Casual American Eatery: Over-friendly or insistent waitress? :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 11, 2007

Before leaving Asheville we didn't want to eat anything but I wanted some good caffee and Urszula some soft drink. We chose Cats and Dawgs, a Casual American Eatery (what a name!) because of tables put outdoors on Page Ave. (good for watching people :-). We had to wait a few minutes for a young and smiling all the time waitress although there were no other consumers. Maybe we should show up inside first.

Well, let me quote our dialogue:
    - good afternoon, may I help you? [smile]
    - good afternoon, we would like only a large cup of white coffee and a glass of soft drink
    - we have delicious Chicago pure Vienna beef hot dogs, they taste like in Chicago, believe me [smile]
    - excuse me?
    - we also have great Italian beef and Polish sausage, may I ask you where are you from? [smile]
    - excuse, we don't want them; we are from Poland
    - wow, Holland, that's great, welcome in Asheville; well, I see you are vegetarians, most "Hollanders" are vegetarians; we have wonderful veggie dogs, too! [smile]
    - excuse me?
    - well, if you prefer we have three-bean salad and coleslaw as well [smile]
    - excuse me, we want ONLY a large cup of white coffee and a glass of orange juice with ice, can you understand me?
    - all right, but what about our delicious and famous Brunswick stew? [smile]

And so on :-))) Outdoor tables and low or reasonable price are main advantages of this restaurant. We would pay for sure below $20 (with taxes + tip) for 2 meals with drinks.

Favorite Dish: Finally I got my coffee which was quite good but nothing compare to that one in Anntony's Caribbean Cafe. Urszula had orange juice but with no ice.

Well, next time I'd give a try to that Brunswick stew (but what's that? :-) or Italian beef. Add three-bean salad and French fries. I don't like hot dogs (even from Chicago) and I love Polish sausage but original, the ones I tried in the USA tasted awfully and shouldn't be more called Polish. Welcome to Poland for real Polish sausages :-)

CATS AND DAWGS, ASHEVILLE CATS AND DAWGS, ASHEVILLE
    • Hiking and Walking

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The Stable Café: Great local food and service! :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 22, 2007

At first sight I liked rustic interior of this restaurant with renovated horse stalls. It's located in the Stable area next to Biltmore House. I thought that if it was a horse stable, it had been fit for a king. It's open 11.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.

As we were not hungry we first decided not to eat there but to continue our Biltmore adventures. However after an hour or more in the Gardens we decided to give it try and plan what to do next as unexpectadly all my camera batteries were out :-( and we would have to come back to our car. Luckily I had already taken a few pictures of the restaurant before. Surprisingly there were almost no costomers when we finally came. We were seated below semicircular window in a booth which once was a horse stall.

Reading menu we figured out that it's rather expensive reaturant as for us and as in fact we were not hungry we decided to order one portion to share. They stated in the menu that many food products they serve come from Biltmore's farms and gardens. Urszula was joking that they have to use horse meat. Well, our young waiter (a local college student) was prompt, helpful and nice over the average. Thanks boy. He probably still laughs at this horse meat idea of Urszula. I had to explain that we do NOT eat horse meat in Poland :-). Well, there are Polish horse sausages available in some upclass specialty groceries but they are not popular.

Favorite Dish: Thanks to help of our waiter we ordered what was called Stable Café Sampler Platter. It consists of:
    - pulled pork barbeque
    - bourbon barbeque ribs
    - rotisserie chicken.
    The portion was quite large as usual in the USA (except of very fancy restaurants) although not the biggest one I saw. For two not very hungry people it was almost enough though.

Originally it was served with coleslaw but as I am not fan of neither mayonnaise nor vinegar I asked to skip them. So we had custom made salad with mysterious and delicious sauce (mainly lemon juice and olive or other vegetable oil I think).

Add what they called Long Branch potatoes. I had to ask what was that. As I undertood well these potatoe thick strips are made like French fries but before they are soaked in cold salted (+ with some other addings, herbs?) water for about an hour, then dried and fred as for potato chips. They were soft and tender, not brown.

The food was HEAVEN! The best was pulled pork barbeque. As the waiter explained it was classic western North Carolina meal, slow-cooked and finished with bourbon barbeque sauce which consists of (among others) onion, garlic and bourbon. You must try it! Oak-smoked pork spareribs glazed with delicious sauce (what was that?) tasted fantastic, too. Chicken was over average as well but not my favourite. I liked our salad but didn't like Long Branch potatoes. Well, they were not that bad but I'd prefer them to be a bit warmer and less salty.

The only inconenience of this restaurant was our bill. We paid almost $30 (with a 20% tip and 7% tax) for a single meal, beer and soft drinks. I just think now that it was good value for great food and service.

THE STABLE CAFE AT BILTMORE ESTATE THE STABLE CAFE - ENTRANCE THE STABLE CAFE AT BILTMORE ESTATE THE STABLE CAFE SIGN THE STABLE CAFE AT BILTMORE ESTATE

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Anntony's Caribbean Cafe: Delicious Caribbean food (and economic)!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 22, 2007

Anntony's Caribbean Cafe is a Carribean restaurant in North Carolina (based in Charlotte) run by immigrants from British Guyana. I wasn't hungry but I had never been to any Caribbean restaurant before. I haven't seen any in Poland. I had no idea what Caribbean food was but tables put outside in front of the restaurant (great for watching people and rare in Asheville and generally USA) as well as reasonable prices encouraged my wife and me to give Anntony's a try. And it was a very good step!

I didn't like colorful and kitchy interior design of Island caffee bar. The other inconvenience was traffic (luckily light) in front of our table, so we decided to eat inside and then drink something outside. But the worst was that I left next charged batteries in a car and couldn't take pictures of food :-(. Well, I asked a friendly and prompt waiter and charged my batteries enough to take at least a few pictures with no flash on the way back to car.

Favorite Dish: As we were not hungry we decided to order only one bowl of black bean soup (great flavour, a bit spicy) and one portion of Cuban roast pork with mango chutney. I never tried it and even didn't understand what "chutney" meant in English but I liked it :-). The meal was served with cornbread and two sides. I had problem which sides to choose as I didn't know some English names in the menu and didn't want those I could understand. So, as usual, I chose the most exotic names which sometimes is risky but I asked a waiter before and managed to understad most of his explanations:
    - Callaloo Greens - delicious tumip greens cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic and fantastic sauce (what was that sauce?)
    - Calypso Rice - rice with sauteed cabbage, carrot, garlic, pepper and spices - it tasted good but was a bit too spicy for me, I'd order something else next time.
    Jesus, that Cuban roast pork with mango chutney was a heaven and enough large for two not very hungry people! My recommendation.

Together with tropical flavored iced tea (a bit too sweet as for me) and fantastic freshly roasted bean coffee we paid with tax and tip a bit below $20. Great value as for good quality food and central location!

ANNTONY'S CARIBBEAN CAFE ARCADE (GROVE) BUILDING

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Ice Cream Parlor: Ice-cream anyone?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 21, 2007

This little shop is conveniently located in the Stable Area next to the Biltmore House and offers ice creams, hot chocolade and beverages. Unfortunatelly ice creams are not made on the premises. It's open seasonally: 11.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: Urszula had large ice-cream (are there any small ones in the USA?) with some addings which was good but not the best one she had in the USA. And as I remember it was also quite expensive.

ICE CREAM PARLOR, BILTMORE STABLE AREA THE STABLE AREA, ICE CREAM PARLOR ON RIGHT IN FRONT OF ICE CREAM PARLOR, THE STABLE AREA DORMER IN THE BILTMORE'S STABLE AREA PASSAGE TO THE STABLE AREA

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Bake Shop: Fresh-baked pastries! Heaven!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 21, 2007

This small bakery with a few tables put both inside and outside is located in the Stable Area next to the Biltmore Estate. They offer pastries, freshly-baked in the premise, cookies, soft drinks, gourmet coffees and herbal teas. They also make picnic baskets for a gourmet lunch on estate grounds. It's a self-service and fast-service place with no dishes but napkins and plastic cups; open year-round 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.

The pastries surely were not cheap ($3 - $4 per one large pastry as I remember well). But I didn't pay as much as I had expected in such touristy place! I've learnt again that in the USA there is no simple rule that food is always extremely expensive in the most touristy places. Well, sometimes it is (Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia is a good example) but quite often not :-). The greedy guys from Williamsburg should learn something from the Biltmore ones, right?

Favorite Dish: I had a blueberry pastry and Urszula had a strawberry one, both fresh-baked and still hot. A must eat! It was HEAVEN! No more words.

FRESH-BAKED PASTRIES FROM BILTMORE BAKE SHOP :-) BAKE SHOP, THE BILTMORE STABLE AREA BAKE SHOP, THE BILTMORE STABLE AREA THE BILTMORE STABLE AREA AND THE BAKE SHOP BAKE SHOP, THE BILTMORE STABLE AREA

Stable Courtyard Cart: Fast food in Biltmore

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 21, 2007

After delicious pastries in Bake Shop in the Biltmore Stable Area (see my previous tip) and before visit to Biltmore Gardens we wanted to eat a bit more and something different. There was a nice looking food cart put just by the Bake Shop but it was closed with no information on opening hours. So, just for your information, these food and beverage carts operate seasonally throughout the Biltmore Estate, in larger number on busy days.

They offer fast food like popcorn, beef sandwiches, pretzels etc. (see my next pictures). Not the best food as for me but if in a hurry... It's likely that I would give a try to Grilled Chicken Salad ($6.95) and Root Beer. I don't know what's that :-) but sounds nice and costs $2.00.

Favorite Dish: None. It was closed.

STABLE COURTYARD CART STABLE COURTYARD CART MENU CLOSED! STABLE COURTYARD CART THE BILTMORE STABLE AREA

Instant Answers: Asheville

Comments

Asheville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Asheville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asheville sightseeing.