Asheville Shopping

KIMS'S WIG CENTER, ASHEVILLE

Most Recent Shopping in Asheville

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Dillards Clearance Center: Great Deals! Huge Savings! Awesome Sales!

by charlenemixa Written Jun 2, 2014

Where does all the unsold out of Season merchandise go for Dillard's. To their Clearance Centers. We happened on to the Dillard's Clearance Center, located in the Biltmore Square Shopping Center. We were not aware of these store clearance centers and were amazed at the fantastic "deals" on clothing. Most items are at least 50% off or more then they have specials of additional off. We lucked out on 4th of July weekend and they had BOGO (Buy One Get One Free -same or lesser value)! FANTASTIC! It was fantastic. I got dresses for $15 that were initially close to $100. My husband got two sport coats (Hart Shaftner Marx) regularly $500 for $60 for both of them. We went back a couple more times during our month visit and while they didn't have the BOGO we still found some good deals.

Be sure to check their store hours as they are not open everyday. Also check to see if they are having any special sales. Be ready to spend some time roaming through the mass array of clothing.

What to pay: As mentioned these are at 50-65% off and many have additional off or BOGO.

A Gardener's Place: Biltmore flowers to buy

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

BILTMORE ORCHID IN BLOOM :-)

This place, left to the entrance to the Conservatory is full of potted plants and flowers cultivated by Biltmore gardeners. There are also various accesories, tools, and seeds for your garden.

Well, if you are not from the USA, keep in mind that you are not allowed to import any living plants to most of the countries unless you obtain special permission which often is difficult.

What to buy: I liked some beautiful orchids in bloom. Well, they are the largest and most diverse of the flowering plant families, with over 800 described genera and 25,000 species! Did you know?

What to pay: I found potted plants much more expensive than in my homecountry, Poland. But I don't know whether it's typical for the USA or just Biltmore.

• Eco-Tourism

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Bruisin Ales: beer to go?

by richiecdisc Updated Jul 28, 2007

part of the Asheville stroll

Unfortunately this great looking beer store was closed Sunday afternoons or I'd have likely picked up some beers for the remainder of our road trip. Though from the window display they had a great selection of Belgian ales I'd have likely stuck with the local beers. Think globally friends, but please drink locally.

What to buy: Beer, what else?

What to pay: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

• Beer Tasting

• Kristin's Profile Photo

Malaprop's Bookstore & Cafe: Always buy independent!

by Kristin Written Jul 17, 2007

I am an admitted sucker for an independent bookstore. I love the atmosphere, I love the idea of someone hand-picking the selection of books, and mostly I love the way communities will rise up and support their local bookstores. You can find the most interesting natives in the local bookstores. I just stopped in to look and wound up walking out with four new books, none of which I really NEEDED, but all of which I'm glad to have.

What to buy: Malaprop's had a great section filled with books by local artists. Treat yourself to a Rita Mae Brown in their cafe - it's an espresso drink with cinnamon, vanilla and hazelnut. Yum.

What to pay: List price for books.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

American Folk Art & Framing: Southern Folk Art

by etfromnc Written Jul 2, 2007

Seagrove is generally considered to be the epicenter of the North Carolina pottery industry but this little shop first caught my eye because a Seagrove potter is now prominently displaying, and selling, his work here. This shop has been open for about six years and has become well known as a great place to find an excellent cross-section of Southern folk art.

What to buy: Pottery, paintings, sculpture, and other items not as easily classified. My favorites are Daniel Johnston, the Seagrove potter, Ivy Billiot, a sculptor/woodcarver, Mike Ball, a more whimsical Catawba Valley potter, and Rudy (Rudolph Valentino) Bostic, a painter given to great displays of color and generally using cardboard as his canvas.

What to pay: As little as $40-50 up to several thousand dollars.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Biltmore Wine Shop: Great Biltmore wine :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 12, 2007

IN BILTMORE WINE SHOP, THE BILTMORE WINERY

This large and pretty designed self-service wine store is located in the Biltmore Winery and offers white, rose, white and sparkling wine produced at place from a variety of grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot and Viognier.

Biltmore wine is unavailable abroad. Even in the USA it is not easy to find and exclusively in some states. I tasted one kind of wine in the store (from plastic little cups) and many more kinds in the seperate, large tasting room (go there first).

There are also gourmet chocolates, coffees, condiments, and recipes on stock.

What to buy: I bought three bottles of Biltmore white wine (Chardonnay) I had already tasted and asked about in the tasting room.

I got to know that it was aged some half a year and fermented in oak barrels. The other Chardonnay - less expensive and much worse in my opinion - wasn't oak-aged. Did it make the difference? I surely asked and got to know that it's possible but apart from that about half the wine I bought went through malo-lactic fermentation which made significant difference in taste.

What to pay: Buying three bottles I've got special gift pack and saved 10%. So, I paid about $12 per bottle. It's a reasonable price for very good wine, I think.

• Wine Tasting

Deerpark Exhibit Hall (Biltmore Estate): Quilts by known artists

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 25, 2007

PATCHWORK QUILT

At the end of my visit to the famous Biltmore Estate I hit my car to what was signed as Deerpark. I entered a huge, wooden hall where numerous, colorful patchwoek quilts were hang on walls around. To my surprise it was more than the exhibit. I could buy these colorful quilts.

A quilt is a type of bedding, a bed covering composed of a quilt top, a layer of batting, and a layer of fabric for backing. Nowadays it is more and more often made by artists and used exclusively to look at. This way from useful craftwork to "unuseful" art begun in the 19th century and, as I noticed, is continued in North Carolina and generally the South.

What to buy: They sold quilts, hand-made by known (not for me though :-) quilters, including Genevieve Grundy and Tynne Karas. I've got to known that the most famous creators of art quilts are or were natives to Virginia, Georgia and both Carolinas.

What to pay: Expensive in my opinion but original artworks by known artists. From some $100 to over $500 - see my pictures.

Carriage House: Biltmore gifts, wine and more

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 24, 2007

BILTMORE WINE

This pretty designed store is located in the Stable area next to the Biltmore House. It offers "Biltmore for your home" furnishings and accessories, videos, CDs, DVDs, Biltmore Estate wine, and more.

I liked some great historical books on the Biltmore Estate and Vanderbilt family as well as Biltmore Estate on DVD (over $20).

What to buy: Biltmore wine (white, rose, red and sparkling) but you can't taste it at place. So, if you don't know which wine to choose go first to Biltmore winery to sample the wine in the tasting room. You can buy wine there as well. The price is the same but I saved 10% buying three bottles in the winery.

What to pay: I paid about $9 per bottle of very good white Biltmore wine (Sauvignon Blanc) although some bottles cost over $20. You know, more expensive wine is not always better. I am not a wine connoisseur (yet!). Thus to have a good deal I always prefer to taste wine before puchase. CDs with classic American Christmas songs cost over $15. Generally this gift shop is expensive. T-shirts for adults went at a price of about $20 which is a robbery!

• Castles and Palaces

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The Confectionery: Sweet shop, barks and my pecan research :-)

THE CONFECTIONERT STORE SIGN

This cool little shop offers sweet food and sweets in small pieces: caramels, chocolate sticks and barks. Yes, they called square, small pieces of chocolate sweets barks. Well, I couldn't understand that "bark" as I related this word exclusively to rough noise made by a dog. Urszula was joking that we would bark after eating these sweets. We didn't. We smiled :-).

I didn't know that "bark" in English was the outermost layer of stems and roots of woody plants such as trees. Anyway, it's an enjoyable name for what I finally bought.

What to buy: I bought what was called "dark pecan bark" and "white pecan bark." It was a square and thick piece of chocolate with pecan nuts. Both were very yummy! Although I liked the dark bark more.

It was my first meeting with pecans and made me a bit "pecan obsessed" during the rest of my Southern odyssey. When I saw this word in the menu I usually ordered it. I didn't know what pecan was and I wanted to check it in Wal-Mart food store in the evening. Well, first I checked how that mysterious pecan or exactly pecan nuts look like in a bookstore :-).

Well, many Americans wrongly think that everyone knows them. In my part of the world there are pecan trees (orzesznik) growing in some parks in northern and western Poland but noone except some specialists in botanics know pecan nuts. They are as unavailable in groceries as for example carp fish in UK (popular in Poland especially for Christmas and regarded as not edible in UK). Well, try to buy popular in Poland sauerkraut in any Wal-Mart ;-). You know what I mean.

So, let me explain for non-American readers. The pecan is a species of hickory (group of a tree species of tough, yet flexible wood which bear globose or oval nuts with thick and bony shell), native to southeastern North America (mainly Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Mississippi). The pecan may live and bear nuts for more than three hundred years. Pecan nuts can be eaten fresh or used in cooking, particularly in sweet desserts but also in some savory dishes. The wood of the pecan tree is also used in flavoring fuel for smoking meats (hickory BBQ).

What to pay: $2.00 (+ NC sales tax, 7% in 2004) per each bark.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Street Fair: My wife loved it! :-)

STREET FAIR STORE, ASHEVILLE

Urszula (matcrazy0) - my wife - loved this store. It offers women's cloths, accesories, quilts (bed covers - patchworks) and throws. The shop is full of what most women love to search through. A word of warning for guys: pretty mess and dark interior make good atmosphere for very long woman's stay in this shop. I managed to take tenths photos outside around until Urszula left this store.

What to buy: Well, if you look for classic, elegant costume for business/work choose another store. But if you want something artistic, unusual, unique, or even extravagant but mostly still elegant that's a store for you. Urszula found a pretty spring jacket and hat (it would be hat number over 50 for her :-) but didn't buy them. Add some pretty patchwork quilts and bags.

What to pay: Difficult to point out: from reasonable or even cheap to very expensive. A pretty jacket and hat Urszula found cost some $80 together.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Beads And Beyond: The most unique store!

BEADS AND BEYOND STORE, ASHEVILLE

First I saw a very colorful, small, old style carriage put on a sidewalk in front of Beads And Beyond store. It's a strange, weird or creative (choose what you want) store which offers vast variety of beads of different size, material and colours from various parts of our globe including beads from the pre-historic times like the Roman Times and Pre-Columbian Era. There are also earwires, headpins, jumprings, toggles and clasps as well as feathers, feather masks, carving stones and totem replicas. Add some books on jewelry making, goldsmithing, stones, gems and minerals etc. Whatever you think it's - without any doubt - a very unique store.

It's open Monday through Thursday 10.30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 10.30 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What to buy: Whatever you need. I paid attention to some books on jewelry making and beads made of Chinese porcelain.

What to pay: From cheap to very expensive.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Celtic Way: Do you want to look as Celtic gentelman?

CELTIC WAY, ASHEVILLE

It's un upclass Irish, Welsh and Scottish import shop which offers elegant clothes for someone who wants to look as Celtic (?) gentelman. They also offer a lot of accesories like belts, ties, hats etc.

I still have some bad habits from countries where bargaigning is a part of daily lifestyle (Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey) and sometimes, especially when I am welcomed very warm by a shopkeeper (it's usual in Asheville!) I suddenly and firmly announce that I only want to look not to buy anything and I finally refuse any help. I should be nicer in this upclass store, it's obvious. The shopkeeper silently stopped to smile and left me alone. Did I harm him? Surely noone want to harm me when I leave any shop with no shopping in Asheville, right? :-)

What to buy: A suit in Celtic pattern (tartan) and a hat. Well, it's not my style but if you need somethng like this...

What to pay: Too expensive!

• Seniors

Paul Taylor Custom Sandals: Custom made sandals and belts

PAUL TAYLOR CUSTOM SANDALS, ASHEVILLE

I have never seen store which offers exclusively handmade, leather and custom sandals, and belts made in workskop at place. Some of them displayed in front windows looked great. You choose style, color etc. and order your custom sandals in the shop or by mail (using mail-kit) and they are ready for you in 2-6 weeks time (may be shipped to your place). The store is closed in winter except 2 weeks preceding Christmas.

I was welcomed as a good friend by a very nice shopkeeper. She wanted to show me her workshop but the other customer came to order sandals and she had to care about her. It seems that they have a lot of customers (the telephone rang 3 times during my short visit) therefore I think their quality is top.

What to buy: Leather custom sandals and belts. Also "corrective" or orthotic sandals.

What to pay: Some $250 or more per custom sandals. It's good to have a lot of money in the USA :-).

Himalayas Import: From Nepal, Tibet and India

HIMALAYAS IMPORT, ASHEVILLE

This quite large family run store (owners are from Nepal) offers unbelievable variety of small and large items sold to tourists in Nepal, Tibet and India. You need an hour or so to see everything they have on stock: from small stone figures, metal pots, ceramics through handmade jewelry, colorful shirts, vests, hats and Tibetan singing bells to human size wooden and jade figures of Buddha.

What to buy: Nepalese, Tibetan and Indian antiques, artifacts, clothing, art, jewelery etc. I paid attention to some jewelry and Tibetan singing bowls and bells.

What to pay: Some small items are inexpensive (a few $) but larger, jade, handmade figure of Buddha cost over $2,000!

Terra Nostra Decor: Gifts from all over the world

TERRA NOSTRA DECOR, ASHEVILLE

It's a fantastic store for every fan of gifts and handicraft, but not from North Carolina! They have typical gifts you can buy as a visitor to many countries like Columbia, Gauatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, Morocco, Egypt, Turkey, Syria, India and others.

I guess they are mostly produced in say China or Taiwan. Such stores make future travels somewhat less interesting as you know what to except in each country you visit.

What to buy: Exotic handcrafted merchandise for home and garden. I paid attention to items typical for Latin America (alpaca clothing, jewelry, stone gigures, ceramics). At home, in Poland, I can buy mainly some Indian, Chinese, Black African (Kenya) and Arab (Moroxxo, Egypt) decorative items and gifts but it's difficult to find anything from Latin America.

What to pay: Reasonable prices. For Mexican items prices are similar to the first prices I saw in Tijuana. But forget about bargaigning in Asheville :-). It is neither Mexico nor Morocco.

Instant Answers: Asheville

Comments

Asheville Shopping

Reviews and photos of Asheville shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Asheville sightseeing.