Belhaven Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Belhaven

The Helmsman: Closed

by grandmaR Updated Sep 11, 2007

Tapestry of local history

I have been told that the Helmsman is now closed. Some people are happy about this, but others are not.

Favorite Dish: Whatever is the special. The first time we went, we both had the pork chop special (two chops, with two vegetables for $6.95). We both had a stuffed potato, and Bob had lima beans and I had a pasta bean salad. This consisted of spiral pasta with green beans, kidney beans, and boiled raisins. There were orange strips (carrots?) and red bits (either tomatoes or pimentos I'm not sure) in there too. They gave us a big basket of hush puppies while we were waiting, and Bob had a pineapple upside down cake for dessert. I had a strawberry cake, which was pink and dense with a sticky sweet pink icing. I took one pork chop back to the boat.

• O Neals: Belhaven Breakfast Good and Plenty

by BuckyBuck Updated Sep 11, 2007

This is the place for breakfast. Great pancakes. Relaxed atmosphere

Stays a great place to eat

Favorite Dish: Pancakes, breakfast in general. Biscuits, you are expected to relax. Breakfast for two with coffee about $10, total, not each.

• Wine and Words: Great Selection of Wines

by BuckyBuck Written May 31, 2007

Wine and words has nice appetizers and a surprisingly good selection of wines and specialty beers. You can go and enjoy an appetizer for supper and purchase specialty beers for what they are retailing from the store. I had a very good Carribeanian Beer. The wine tasting on the weekends is a nice treat and value.

Favorite Dish: The Beer and wine selection.

• FishHooks: FishHooks Great Seafood and more

by BuckyBuck Written May 31, 2007

FishHooks is a new Restaurant in Belhaven. Very good. Excellent Seafood. Even better vegetable dishes, serves beer and mixed drinks. A must for Belhaven

Favorite Dish: I like the yellow squash caserole. It is almost a souffle. They also make the "pineapple caserole, this is also a treat. My wife and I always order extra vegetables, it cost $1.50 and they are great.

They also have a lunch buffet.

O'Neals East Main Street Restaurant: Breakfast and Lunch and Snack Bar

by grandmaR Updated Apr 13, 2005
    O'Neals facade

There is a whole section of East Main Street devoted to various O'Neals properties. There is a drug store on the corner, and a gift (Hallmark) shop plus this restaurant cum snack bar. It is only open for breakfast and lunch so we've never eaten here, but when we had an extra day in Belhaven, I walked up into town to take some pictures and I ate a very late lunch here.

Favorite Dish: I had a salad plate (pictured) but I don't remember what I paid.

• Cruise

River Forest Manor: Sunday Buffet

by grandmaR Updated Jul 31, 2004

Buffet Dining room

On Sunday evening, if any restaurant is open within walking distance of the marinas in Belhaven it will be this one.

This place is a hotel, and marina which is also associated with a shipyard and on-line store. This is what they say about the place:

"In 1899, John Aaron Wilkinson, President of J.L. Roper Lumber Company and Vice-President of Norfolk & Southern Railroad, began building the Victorian mansion known today as the River Forest Manor. Italian craftsmen were called in to carve the ornate ceilings, and by 1904, the mansion was complete – with carved oak mantels for each of the eleven fireplaces, sparkling cut glass leaded into windows, crystal chandeliers glittering from the ceilings, tapestry placed above the mahogany wainscoting in the dining room and two baths so large that they included oversized tubs for two. Eight years after the completion of his showplace, Wilkinson married a beautiful New Yorker who shared the house with him for many years.

"At his death, the house was sold to J.W. Hines of Rocky Mount In 1947 it was purchased by Axson Smith of Belhaven, whose experience in hotel management was partially gained at the Drake & The Palmer House in Chicago. Since then it has become world famous for its restaurant, hotel, marina & shipyard."

Favorite Dish: "Specialties include many Southern style, mouth -watering dishes. Seafood delights such as crabmeat casserole, oyster fritters, and unique homemade sausages & desserts."

The house is very pretty. We have been here twice on Sunday. The first time we went in November 2001, we ate at the buffet. I actually found the buffet rather ordinary. Two dinners were $39.97.

The service was very rushed (but cheerful and apologetic) and the place was very crowded. It was OK, but not special.

The second time, there was absolutely NO place open as even the River Forest did not open at all and we couldn't even order anything. This was totally unsatisfactory.

• Luxury Travel

Farm Boys: Smallest Restaurant in Town

by grandmaR Written Jun 2, 2004
    Restaurant from Pamilico Street

This place serves inexpensive grill type food-primarily breakfast and lunch. I've not been there myself, but some folks who had a boat in the yard and were living on board said they ate here fairly often.

Instant Answers: Belhaven

Comments

Belhaven Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Belhaven restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Belhaven sightseeing.