Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide

by ladybeachlover

Cape Hatteras State Park Things to Do

Stately & Majestic!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Apr 4, 2011

As we were still in transit to our final destination and still had 80 miles to drive, we did not take time to climb the 269 steps to the top of this beauty. However, if you are here and if you have the time and if you do not do it, Na-na-na-na-na! Sissy! I’m sure it would be a view to remember! However, you are encouraged “not” to attempt the climb if you have health conditions that may endanger you, or if you are prone to jump off of tall buildings… How’s that for a tip???

There is also a “keeper’s house” converted into a museum that is interesting but my camera ran out of film and I was too lazy to walk all the way back to the car for more… Well, it was hot and I hadn’t slept and we still had a long way to go… Give me a break! ;-)

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo

by lonestar_philomath Written Mar 1, 2007

Off-road driving availablity allowed on Bodie, Pea, and Hatteras Islands in restricted areas. Know before you go.

• Adventure Travel

Another View

by NC_Ziggy Updated Jun 28, 2005

Come see me...Come see me... Come see me... Come see me... Come see me... Come see me... Come see me...

You're getting very sleepy... very, very sleepy... When I snap my fingers you will awaken and my voice will be the only voice of reason...

Boy, are you in trouble! hehee!

Cape Hatteras State Park Transportation

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo

by lonestar_philomath Updated Feb 28, 2007

Schedule your arrival through Norfolk, Virginia. Rent a car and head south. I expect your could reach Nags Head in under an hour of driving! Nags Head is on the northern most island making up the Outer Bank. From Nags Head, it is under 70 miles to Cape Hatteras.

• School Holidays

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Land Ho, Again!  Who You Callin' a Ho?

by NC_Ziggy Updated Jun 28, 2005

Good News... Bad News... Depending on how you view it, of course! This was the end of our ferry travel. We would be driving North on Hwy. 12 towards our final destination of Nag's Head, some 80 miles away. Though Hatteras is an island we cross a long bridge span to reach the next stretch of the Outer Banks.

If you've traveled along this far, you might as well come along!

A Closer Look Upon Approach

by NC_Ziggy Updated Jun 28, 2005

You immediately notice a bit more building and habitation than on Ocracoke. Hatteras Island is considerably larger and accomodates more visitors. Though we didn't get to drive around much as we were on a "mission", it was a neat place and one worthy of a longer stay!

Instant Answers: Cape Hatteras State Park

Comments

Cape Hatteras State Park Travel Guide
Map of Cape Hatteras State Park