Don Quijote, Charlotte

by b1bob
    my red snapper was good!
    by acemj
  • b1bob's Profile Photo

Don Quijote: ¿Se habla tapas?

by b1bob Updated Apr 10, 2004

Don Quijote Restaurant

On my arrival, Mark and I were off to a tapas restaurant located at the corner of South Boulevard and Woodlawn Avenue called Don Quijote. The ambience even includes the unmistakeable odour of an Iberian restaurant. (How they managed to import that over here, I'll never know.) There were bullfighting and flamenco posters as well as arched windows and Spanish tiles. An interesting side note: in a Spanish restaurant run by folks from Spain, we ended up with an Asian waiter. Special thanks to "acemj" for the photo from his superiour photographic equipment.

Favorite Dish: Mark and I started with gambas al ajillo (shrimp cooked in garlic for those in Roxboro) and champiñones (mushrooms) cooked in wine sauce. We had a Spanish salad which only consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and black olives. For entrees, I had rice with pork, chicken, and lamb. Mark had the snapper (a kind of fish) with clams and rice.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Don Quijote: Care for a Rioja?

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

my red snapper was good!

The first time I ever tried Don Quijote's food was at work. As a member of a board that deals with diversity issues, I suggested that we have a food day and this was one of the places that catered the event. They brought paella to our office in the biggest paella pans I'd ever seen and it was great!! However, the food is even better when you go to the restaurant and sit amidst the arched doorways, Spanish tiles, Andalusian prints and bullfighting posters.
    The wait staff is usuallly very knowledgeable about the menu and can recommend some of their favorites and will help in pairing it with a great Spanish wine.

Favorite Dish: I was here with VTer b1bob (Nat) recently and enjoyed a great and appropriately late meal of tapas, wine and seafood. We had some champiñones (mushrooms) and gambas (shrimp) for starters and both were excellent.
    Our waiter recommended a great tempranillo (Spanish red wine) that was also excellent and went well with the red snapper I had served with rice, clams and shrimp. Nat had a rice dish with pork, chicken and lamb.

The bill came to around $60.

Instant Answers: Charlotte