Latorre's, Charlotte

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 5 Reviews

• Salmon, dipping oils and paella at Latorres
    Salmon, dipping oils and paella at...
    by Lacristina
    Tuna Steak: rare and delicious
    by frankcanfly
  • frankcanfly & acemj, enjoying some good food.
    frankcanfly & acemj, enjoying some good...
    by frankcanfly
  • Lacristina's Profile Photo

Latorre's: Latin Food in the South

by Lacristina Updated Apr 4, 2011

Latorres restaurant on Fifth St.

It was a slow Monday night, so maybe that's why my paella tasted a bit dry - as though it had been reheated from yesterday.

Still, a good tasting dish - but not one I would order again. (I've had better.)

My companion said the salmon she ordered was wonderful. Before dinner we were served three dipping olive oils, all quite distinct in flavor. The bread served with the oil was delicious! (My second photo shows the dishes we were served.)

The restaurant offers at least one, and sometimes two, wines by the glass per type (i.e. Argentine red, Chilean Red, etc.) So Julia was able to order a Saugignon Blanc and I ordered a decent Malbec from Argentina.

Service was a bit of a blend of too much attention, and not enough. The earnest young waiter tried too hard to remember everything the chef had told him about the olive oils. Then later couldn't be found when we wanted the check.

But all in all, given the ambiance, price and quality, this is a decent choice for dinner. We paid only $48 for food and wine. And I would return again.

Favorite Dish: Salmon and olive oils for dipping.

• Latorre's: Only Thing You'll Miss is Bland Food/Poor Service

by mcat34 Written Jul 26, 2006

The restaurant's ambiance is sparse - probably because it was largely empty when we arrived. Turns out there's a reason for that. The first course was bland - that's the best thing that could be said for it. The real problem with this establishment, however, is the incredibly poor management. The service we recieved at the hands of the manager was outrageous. After receiving drinks (caipirinhas) which most closely resembled roach spray, our party politely asked to send the (unconsumed) drinks back in exchange for something potable. We were approached after 10 minutes by the manager who brusquely informed us that he would be happy to "add some sugar" to the drinks but it was against the restaurant's policy to replace them and remove them from the bill. The coup de gras came when, as he was removing the soup dishes, he snidely inquired if we expected the soup to be removed from the bill because it was left unfinished. We promptly left the restaurant and the only two other people in it and we will not be back.

Favorite Dish: If you enjoy incredibly bland food, you'll enjoy pretty much everything on the menu.

• tatyanap's Profile Photo

Latorre's: Latin Inspired Cuisine

by tatyanap Written Oct 31, 2004

Great food, nice contemporary surroundings, great value!

Favorite Dish: I chose Empanada de Carne -- large Spanish pastry filled with ground beef tenderloin and wild mushrooms, served over field greens tossed in a sweet garlic dressing with a side of red onion escabeche. It was delicious and very, very filling! I was afraid it would be greasy -- it wasn't!!!

I also tried Sopa de Frijoles Negros -- Cuban classic soup topped with chorizo sausage. I didn't like it -- maybe because I don't like mashed beans.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Latorre's: Latin flavors

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

Latorre's is a really great restaurant located in Uptown Charlotte in the shadows of the highrise bank towers. It's a tri-level place and the wood floors and bright colors are tastefully done and it reminds me a little of the "modernisme" that is discussed so often of the streets of Barcelona, Spain. If you come on a Saturday night, you can get free Latin dance lessons upstairs, where the restaurant turns into a club on the weekends.

Most recently, I visited Latorre's with VT member frankcanfly. Frank had the ahi tuna and I had the pork steak (pictured here) and both were great!

Favorite Dish: The Ceviche is wonderful. The menu varies but is influenced by many different Latin cuisines. Also, be sure to try one of the appetizers containing plantain or yuca.

Check out their website for updated information on events and the menu/wine list.

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

La Torre’s: Nuevo Latino Cuisine

by FreeCloud Written Apr 27, 2003
    Scallop with coco and mango

A place with modern and pleasant deco and live music (one gentleman was singing Latin songs on a Thursday evening). This could be a romantic place to enjoy gourmet food with your loved one. It has a large parking lot next to the building. My waiter was very pleasant and ready to help.

La Torre’s has a very interesting menu (see their website) and the dish I tried was excellent.

According to their own promo card (I asked if I could have a copy of their menu, as a result I got a beautifully designed card with lunch menu on one side and dinner, the other) “We offer an extensive selection of South American wines and tropical martinis and cocktails.”

Further, “Friday sand Saturdays, dance to the hottest Latin music and take free Salsa dance lessons starting at 10:30 pm”.

I decided to try their signature dish as I was attracted by the photo of this particular dish on Night and Life in Charlotte brochure (many restaurants provide photos of their dishes, but often, they failed to keep the quality, which reflects unstable quality level). I was very pleased by the presentation and well calculated flavors of the signature dish.

Favorite Dish: Signature Dish
    Escalope y Attoz con Coco $24
    “Amber seared jumbo sea scallops over coconut rice, black beans, and sweet plantains with mango-mojo”

The base layer is the coconut flavored rice, then black beans, crispy green beans, slightly seared succulent scallops, with fried sweet plantain adding the 3-D effect also gives a different texture, the tier is finished with a sea of mango sauce. Scallop, plantain, coconut and mango, all have a sweet but different type of sweetness. Together with black beans and crispy green beans, they produce a very harmonic and pleasant dish. I tried each ingredient separately and any combination of any two or three, any way is very tasty.

Instant Answers: Charlotte

Comments

Hotels Near Latorre's
4.5 out of 5 stars