Charlotte Tourist Traps

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Cuisine d'Amtrak

by b1bob Updated Apr 1, 2004

Cafe Menu

If you think airline food is bad, the cuisine d'Amtrak is worse than awful. Normally, I would keep it at arm's length. However, despite having steak and eggs for breakfast the morning I left, there was no way I could hold out until Charlotte without eating. I was so hungry by the time we crossed into North Carolina that I could eat a hockey puck. With no offence to Vonda Crews, the sweet lady behind the counter who works hard (and who remembered me the second time around), a hockey puck between two pieces of bread (they call a breakfast sandwich) was just what I got. At least the lady removed the process cheese slice before putting it in the microwave.

On the way back, I mistakenly thought there was no way they could foul up a salad. However, Amtrak never ceases to amaze me. There were ice crystals on the salad. In fact I had to bang the already hard boiled egg on the side of the plastic salad bowl to remove the ice crystal that took the shape of the egg.

Unique Suggestions: The best (or least negative) bet is to get a coffee and danish.

Fun Alternatives: A young lady across the aisle on the way back had the right idea. She packed some fried chicken and biscuits to eat on the train. Any time I have a long trip on the train, I'm going to pack me something.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Tourist Trap? Hey, this isn't a tourist town.

by acemj Written Nov 2, 2002

Charlotte doesn't really have any tourist traps because it's not exactly known for its tourism. However, if you've come to see the sights, a good place to start is the Tourist Info office of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce located in Uptown at 330 S. Tryon St.

• DrewV's Profile Photo

There are no tourists in...

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

There are no tourists in Charlotte, so there are really no tourist traps. If you're here, you're here on business. Get out of the hotel and check out Dilworth, and maybe grab some barbeque while you're at it.

Instant Answers: Charlotte

Comments

Charlotte Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Charlotte tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlotte sightseeing.