Charlotte Warnings and Dangers

Kirby checking my bags
    by b1bob
    House in the fourth ward
    by acemj
  • The Green in Uptown looking not so green.
    The Green in Uptown looking not so...
    by acemj

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Charlotte

• No Real Danger...Well Kinda

by bman2k11 Written Aug 3, 2011

ok the worst part of charlotte is the east side..hands down. If you are visiting make sure you stay away from central ave, independence blvd and monroe road. I wouldnt recommend beatiesford rd or statesville road either...very dangerous especially if nobody knows you. So basically stick to downtown, university area...well even university is getting kind of reckless, and south charlotte. I guess you can say dont drive down any blvd after dark (south,west). Charlotte is growing very fast and so is its crime. Everybody i meet is either from NY or Pittsburgh. So just imagine, i know, scarry site. All this said charlotte isn't as bad as it sounds. Theres not really too much to do, but like any big city theres plenty.

• Adventure Travel

• Names of Roads

by crazyonthebus Written Dec 16, 2006

Charlotte is often a challenge to navigate. Many roads are one road, but the name of the road changes NUMEROUS times. For instance, near the airport, you can get on Tyvola Road, heading east Tyvola turns into Fairview, which then turns into Sardis Road, then Rama Road, which turns into Idlewild. IT IS ALL THE SAME ROAD, no turns or anythings. Also, go figure, Charlotte is the only city I've ever been in where you can be on Queens Road and then find yourself at a corner where if you go straight you are on Queens Road, or you can turn left onto Queens Road West or right onto Queens Road East....Essentially it is Queens Road any which way you turn. (this intersection is located several blocks from Queens University) Look it up on Yahoo Maps...it is a TRIP!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Can't deal with the white stuff

by acemj Written Mar 4, 2006

House in the fourth ward

If you happen to be in Charlotte on one of the rare days (a few a year) that it snows, the city will likely be shut down. In 2004, there was a pretty big "blizzard" by Charlotte standards that completely shut things down. They just aren't equipped to handle the snow removal here and people aren't used to driving on slick and icy roads.

• confusing road names

by MandaJ320 Written Mar 1, 2005

A lot of major roads have name changes after certain intersections. This can get pretty confusing, so watch out. Also, a lot of roads share the same name. There are probably 3 Sharon Roads in south Charlotte that all connect in some way.... and there are two Mallard Creek Roads in northeastern Charlotte that intersect, too.

• Stay away at race time!

by MandaJ320 Updated Apr 29, 2004

Lowe's Motor Speedway

If you plan to be in Charlotte in late May or late October, don't go near the speedway! There are two major races at the Lowe's Motor Speedway each year, and they happen in those months. The traffic is backed up for hours within a 10 mile radius of the speedway for the entire weekend, and race fans take over ever spot of open grass within a two mile radius of the speedway. I have been stuck for hours before, and if you get stuck, you're surrounded by a lot of drunk people.

• acemj's Profile Photo

b1bob loves the Queen City!

by acemj Updated Apr 24, 2004

VTer b1bob seems to fit in just fine in Charlotte. He's been down here twice for visits and when the two of us get together, we always have a great time exploring, eating and taking lots of pictures. Nat has a strange penchant for standing next to or in front of statues and emulating whatever pose the sculptor has created for the piece. Here he is imitating the sculpture of Hezekiah Alexander at the Charlotte Musuem of History and Hezekiah Alexander Homesite.

p.s. I have no idea why this is a Warning and Danger . . .

• essexgirl's Profile Photo

Lock your doors

by essexgirl Written Oct 22, 2003

Even though the south is known for it's wonderful southern charm, we do have a lot of crime. The most popular is car jacking. Make sure your car doors are locked and when you are approching the car, take time to look around you. One of my friends had the back of her ankel slashed by someone under her car. She's okay now but her car was stolen and her money as well. She could have been worse off but she was lucky.

• Business Travel

• essexgirl's Profile Photo

Traffic

by essexgirl Written Oct 22, 2003

Construction on the major interstates (I-77 and I-85) is awful!!! The only road that isn't under construction is Harris Blvd. Stay away from all roads under construction between the hours of 4pm and 6pm Monday - Friday.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

If I only had my rifle...

by b1bob Written Mar 29, 2003

b1bob thinking of dining on duck

...Mark and I would have dined on duck at Mark's house instead of beef heart kabobs and other things at El Loco Pollo, that Peruvian restaurant at which we ended up eating. So, ducks in Freedom Park, y'all got off easily THIS time.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Kirby, the security cat

by b1bob Written Mar 25, 2003

Kirby checking my bags

Mark's cat Kirby must think he is a Homeland Security cat. I caught him in the act of searching my big black travel bag. Better than that security goon at Raleigh-Durham, Kirby was more interested in the contents of my bag than its size.

A singing sensation?

by acemj Written Mar 23, 2003

Nope. If you ever have a fellow VTer come to your house, make sure that he sings better than b1bob (Nat). The noise my cat Kirby made the last time I stepped on his tail was more pleasing than the sounds coming from my bathroom when Nat was taking his shower in the morning.

• acemj's Profile Photo

This is not a big deal, but...

by acemj Written Jan 24, 2003

This is not a big deal, but Charlotte is in the Bible Belt, a term that refers to the long history of conservatism and church going. There are churches on almost every corner in the city. This is one of my favorites on East Blvd.

Timber!

by acemj Updated Oct 30, 2002

I was sitting in my back room one day focused on my computer screen writing the next great travel narrative, when the most awful, startling sound made my fingers freeze and my heart skip. I heard the crunching powerful cracks of a tree beginning to topple and I knew it was close. For a moment, I thought I was about to be crushed by one of the large trees that surround my house, but then I looked out into the backyard and saw my huge pecan tree falling in an open space in my yard. Thank God it didn't crush anything!

• chiwawa's Profile Photo

If you don't like your tea...

by chiwawa Written Aug 26, 2002

If you don't like your tea doctored up with sugar, be careful about ordering tea. Being from Texas where the sweetening of tea is done by the person who isa going to drink it, my tea in Charlotte came as a GREAT shock. I could not drink it. I drink my tea plain or with just a bit of lemon.

Instant Answers: Charlotte

Comments

Charlotte Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Charlotte warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Charlotte sightseeing.