Concord Sports & Outdoors

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Lowes (Concord) Motor Speedway

by b1bob Updated Jul 13, 2006

b1bob at Lowe's Motor Speedway

Some sport commentators mistakenly call this the Charlotte Motor Speedway even though it is not even in the same county as the city of Charlotte. Lowe's is a regional chain of home improvement stores based in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina. With 250.000 seats, I know of no other sporting facility in the USA, maybe not even the world which accommodates that many fans. NASCAR is more than a sport, but a way of life in this part of North Carolina. Every time there is a race here, all the seats are filled without fail. Mark and I thought the best we could do is to get a distant shot of the outside of the speedway, but we found out we could actually enter at gate 5B. There, we met a group from Poland. I asked one of that lot if they were from anywhere near Tychy, badly mispronouncing the name of that town. They asked me if I was from there. I said, "No, South Tychy." Mark took the picture you see here inside the Lowe's Motor Speedway.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Vroom, vroom . . .

by acemj Updated Apr 25, 2004

acemj chillin' at LMS

The greater Charlotte area is Nascar central. Personally, I don't really get what's so exciting about watching cars driving around in circles, but then again, I'm sure there's much more to it. I'll admit my ignorance in this area, but sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

There must be something intriguing about it, since Nascar has become America's second most popular spectator sport (only behind the National Football League). Many of the drivers live in the Charlotte/Concord area and have there garages and offices near the speedway.

You can pay $5 and tour the facilities, getting a behind the scenes look at the garage areas, pit road, the Victory Circle and it even includes a comfortable van ride around the 1.5 mile track. Or, you can do like I did and just drive around the track to gate 5B, where you'll find the gift shop and an open gate. You can walk in and see the speedway from the stands for FREE. This place routinely fills up its 250,000 capacity, so that alone is something to behold!

Check out the LMS website for details and schedule of races.

Instant Answers: Concord

Comments

Concord Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Concord sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Concord sightseeing.