Edenton Restaurants

Waterman's Grill
    by grandmaR
    My picture of myself in the ladies room
    Specials board

Most Recent Restaurants in Edenton

Lane's Family Bar-B-Q: Open Sunday night

by grandmaR Updated May 1, 2011

This restaurant was the only one we could find that was open on Sunday night. (The desk clerk at the Hampton Inn recommended it.) It was across RR tracks - hard for us to find - and had seafood, steaks or BBQ. Friendly family service - plastic utensils and styrofoam plates, but the food is good and hot.

A review says: "Authentic North Carolina barbecue with all the proper trimmings is served here. In case you don't know, the main accompaniments to a chicken or pork barbecue (sliced or chopped) sandwich or plate are slaw and French fries or onion rings. Take home a pound or two of barbecue for another meal. You can also choose clam strips or a basic delicious hamburger. Daily specials include such offerings as chicken pot pie on Mondays or ham and collards on Wednesday. Don't miss the banana pudding or lemon meringue pie for dessert."

Favorite Dish: We both had the beef bbq (which was a tomato based bbq sauce and not the vinegar based) and iced tea. I thought the proper NC BBQ was vinegar based, but the waitress said that only the pork bbq was vinegar based. We don't care for the vinegar based BBQ, so that's why we ordered the beef.

As sides, I had collards (spicy and hot the way I like them) and Brunswick stew (tomatoes and corn and spicy) and corn bread (a flat griddle cake) and Bob had baked potato and lima beans. He doesn't like collards. I thought Brunswick stew was an odd thing to have as a side - I've usually had it as a main dish, but I like Brunswick stew so I jumped at the chance to have it. We've had the griddle cake type corn bread before in Elizabeth City (where we had to ask what it was).

Bob had a chocolate brownie with ice cream and fudge sauce for dessert and I had a pound cake with strawberry icing. Total was $21.19 including tax.

Most unusually, I didn't take any photos

Waterman's Grill: Tynch & Toppin Fish Market

Waterman's Grill

In May of 1996, Waterman's Grill opened. It occupies a historic buildings, which was formerly occupied by the old Tynch & Toppin Fish Market.

There are two dining areas (one upstairs and one downstairs) as well as a bar, and there was a wine shop in the bar.

Their website says: Local favorites include our Crab Cakes, Cashew Crusted Tilapia, Prime Rib, and ... specials. ... Want dessert? Try our Chocolate Chess Pie A La' Mode, Southern Pecan Pie, and more!

Favorite Dish: We stopped at the Waterman's Grill for lunch. We both had grilled ham and cheese with a cup of soup (one of the specials) for $4.95. I had the corn crab chowder. Then we both had pineapple upside down cake for dessert ($3.25). Bob said it would have been better with whole pineapple rather than crushed and that they skimped on the brown sugar, but it was good.

• Sailing and Boating

It WAS The Bistro By The Bay: Formerly Kramer's Garage/ Former Restaurant

by grandmaR Updated May 6, 2005

Actually a photo on the wall of Waterman's Cafe

VTer mmooniac writes:
    "Isabel paid Kramers' Garage a visit, and the restaurant never reopened. It has been replaced by the Edenton Bay Trading Company, eclectica and delectica for sale."

Favorite Dish: I had the impression from the name that this was a kind of funky, inexpensive place to eat - NOT. This was a fine dining restaurant. As you come in the desserts are all labeled in a refrigerated case. We got a 10% discount on the bill by presenting the room key from the Hampton Inn.

My husband had salmon. I debated between crab cakes, steak, tuna cakes or shrimp. Eventually I decided on shrimp with artichokes, red peppers and rice. It was good if a bit vinegary and slightly soggy. I think the artichoke hearts were canned. For dessert I had carmel bread pudding with ice cream, and my husband had a fudge brownie with ice cream and fudge sauce. He drank tea, I drank water.

With the 10% discount, including tip the bill for 2 was $53.90.

Mario's Italian Restaurant: In the AAA Book

From the car

I saw this restaurant was in the AAA book. We did not eat here although I took a picture thinking that we'd get back an try it sometime. So far - we haven't

Instant Answers: Edenton

Comments

Edenton Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Edenton restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Edenton sightseeing.