Elizabeth City Restaurants

The Water Works
    by grandmaR
    Colonial restaurant on Colonial St.
  • Groupers and Waterworks from the free docks
    Groupers and Waterworks from the free...

Best Rated Restaurants in Elizabeth City

Colonial Restaurant: Off the tourist track

by grandmaR Updated Nov 20, 2003

Colonial restaurant on Colonial St.

Low key, with a lot of local patrons - some of them very senior citizens. Very much a local place, and not fancy - no table cloths, just paper place mats. But very nice people, good service and the food was good.

The second time took our friends. There is a smoking section and they didn't appreciate the smoke from the smoking section in the non-smoking section.

The third visit, people said - oh everything there is fried. But we did not find it so. There were all kinds of people there including firemen from Hertford. There is a big mural on the wall of a stern wheeler and the words to the song "Way Down Yonder on the Pasquotank". I don't know the tune, but it obviously isn't "Swanee River"

Favorite Dish: The first time we went, they gave us corn cakes for bread. They were light flat pancakes. We had to ask what they were.

I had barbecued chicken and rice, and Bob had chicken livers which is one of his favorites. I asked for creamed potatoes, which turned out to be mashed potatoes. Bob had lima beans, and we both had salad. Bob had grape nuts pudding (custard) for dessert. It had a little of his and I couldn't eat all my chicken so I took some back to the boat.

On our second trip, our bill for the two of us was $17.42 including tip.

We had lunch here Nov 2003. I had a cup of Navy Bean soup (which was a little salty), and we both had chicken salad sandwiches and iced tea, and I had a grape nut pudding for dessert like my mom used to make us. The whole meal cost $12.38 including tip.

Cypress Creek Grill: Recommended by Claiborne Young

by grandmaR Updated May 24, 2010

New storefront with special inset

We went one night to the Colonial, but that was a little too 'local' for our friends, although they went there for lunch the next day. So we took them to this restaurant which was recommended by Claiborne Young in his book. Young's website says:

"Casual Dinning in downtown Elizabeth City
    Relaxed atmosphere in a non-smoking environment
    Featuring:

Mon-Thurs..........11am to 9pm
    Friday.................11am to 10pm
    Saturday...............5pm to 11pm
    Sunday............................Closed "

A meal for 2 was less than $26 including tip. I remember I had a BBQ sandwich.

The restaurant has moved to Water Street. This time (Nov 2003) we had the pork loin special ($13.95@ pictured), iced tea ($1.25@) and I had coconut cake ($3.75) which was a mistake as I was really too full to enjoy it and something gave me heartburn. Our total bill was $43.54 including tip.

Favorite Dish: Part of their menu from the website:

Seafood Specialties
    All entrees served with fresh bread and your choice of two side orders

Cypress Creek Platter
    Combination platter of (3) S.O.B's, (3) sauteed sea scallops, and a crab cake. Served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $14.95

Creek Style Crab Cakes
    Homemade crab cakes, lightly spiced and grilled. Served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $14.50

Blackened Yellow Fin Tuna seasoneed with our homemade blackening mix. Grilled and served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $14.95

New Orleans Barbecued Shrimp broiled in a buttery, sweet, and spicy sauce. Served with french dinner rolls for dipp'n the sauce. ...... $14.95

S.O.B. Dinner
    Shrimp and oysters wrapped in hickory smoked bacon and lightly fried. Served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $13.95

Spud's Catfish & Shrimp Platter
    Pan fried catfish filet and five grilled shrimp, Served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $15.50

Sea Scallops ightly seasoned sauteed served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $14.95

Deep fried hand breaded shrimp served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $13.95

Fresh oysters lightly battered and fried. Served with Creekstyle tartar sauce. ...... $13.95

Grilled shrimp on our own rice pilaf. ...... $13.95

Dinner Specialties
    All entrees served with fresh bread and your choice of two side orders.

Chargrilled hand cut beef tenderloin filet served with red wine peppercorn. ...... $16.95

Marinated chicken breast served chargrilled or blackened. ...... $8.95

10oz. center cut ribeye served chargrilled or blackened ...... $14.95

Chargrilled seasonal vegetables. ...... $8.95

Roasted porkloin seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. ...... $12.95

Side Orders
    Rice pilaf, baked potato, french fries, tossed salad, vegetable of the day, pasta salad, potato salad

Groupers: Waterworks Current Restaurant

by grandmaR Written Nov 20, 2003
    Groupers and Waterworks from the free docks

In 2003, we came into Elizabeth City on Sunday, and Cypress Creek was closed, so we ate here. This restaurant is the former Mulligans (and you can still see the name inside on the wall) and is apparently now run by an oriental chef.

Favorite Dish: We tried to eat inexpensively, so Bob had a chef salad for $6.95 and I had a cup of Red Corn Crab Soup ($2.95) which was good but extremely spicey, and curry for $14.95. We drank iced tea ($1.40@). I was too tired to eat dessert, so we skipped that. The total with tip was $35.09, but if Bob had eaten more than just a salad, it would have been much more.

• Business Travel
    • Cruise

The City Wine Sellar Bakery and Deli: Bakery, Deli and Wine

by grandmaR Written Jan 6, 2004
    Bakery and Deli

Last time we were here, Bob went to the bakery and got some really good bread. I decided that I would do the bread buying this time.

I found that in addition to the bakery, they have breakfast pasteries, and breakfast sandwiches (your choice of egg, cheese, bacon, ham or sausage on a bagel or croissant) , lunch sandwiches, salads, and soup, and wines.

Favorite Dish: I got a round loaf of sourdough bread which was $3.99, and a loaf of rye for $3.79. I thought this was a bit on the expensive side.

Other prices - dozen bagels $9.99
    - Breakfast sandwich $2.79 (more expensive than Stalks used to be but then his were just on bread)
    - 12 oz. coffee $0.94
    - wine by the glass $3.25

The Marina Restaurant: Go by Dinghy or cross the Bridge

by grandmaR Updated Jan 6, 2004
    The Marina Restaurant from the river

The Marina Restaurant is immediately adjacent to Pelican Marina. People say that the food is good and it is open Tuesday through Saturday during the evenings only and Sunday for lunch and dinner.

When we came in to Elizabeth City on Sunday, the only place open near the docks was Groupers. The fellow from ADRIANA said some of the cruisers were going to dinghy over to this restaurant for dinner because the food was good and not too expensive. He didn't know the name of the restaurant, but he pointed it out to me and I took a photo on the way out.

This restaurant is listed with one diamond in the AA Guide. The Guide says:

"Features: children's menu, carryout, cocktails & lounge. A good variety of broiled and fried seafood, sandwiches and appetizers are served in a small wood paneled dining rooms overlooking the Pasquotank River. Seasonal deck dining is available, and the oyster and raw bars are open year round."

Favorite Dish: I don't know if they have a dinghy dock, or if you can dock your dinghy at Pelicans.

We ate at Groupers instead.

There are several restaurants with this name - there's another one in Fernandina Beach, for instance - but I don't think they are connected.

Stalks (Comstalk's Confectionery): A Former Local Tradition

by grandmaR Updated Aug 25, 2003
    From docks - 2nd building from left

I am informed by an Elizabeth City resident that Stalks has closed and a ladies dress shop has been put in here. It will be sorely missed by the cruising community.

Locals used to gather here in the morning for breakfast. You could read the paper if you put it back. Food was cooked the old fashioned way - individually on a grille - and they had old fashioned milkshakes with real ice cream.

Favorite Dish: Country ham and egg sandwich for breakfast for $2.20.

Milkshake for lunch

Formerly Mulligan's Waterfront Grille: The Water Works former restaurant

by grandmaR Updated Nov 20, 2003
    The Water Works

The mall is in a building that used to be a water treatment plant. The boaters are allowed to use the bathrooms in the mall when it is open.

The mall is very convenient to the docks, and Mulligan's is one of the sponsors for the Rose Buddies so we wanted to appreciate their support by patronizing them. The restaurant is no longer under this name as it has changed hands several times.

The Elizabeth City website says:
    "A great choice for fine dining and great waterfront atmosphere. Steaks, seafood and other entrees."

Favorite Dish: I had chicken Chesapeake, which was chicken stuffed with crab meat, and overlaid with asparagus and covered with Hollandaise. I also got a salad and garlic spinach. Bob had a crab cake sandwich. Mine was too much for me to eat, so I brought it back to the boat.

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Elizabeth City

Comments

Elizabeth City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Elizabeth City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Elizabeth City sightseeing.

View all Elizabeth City hotels