Martha Jane's Kitchen: Best "sammies" on the island!
Great specialty sandwiches or "sammies", as they call them. Also had a fantastic Sunday Brunch with live music in the courtyard. Stayed in Frisco, but well worth the short drive to Hatteras Village to spend a couple of lunches in the open air courtyard while taking a a break from shopping at the boutiques in the Stowe on Twelve shopping center. Good service, good food, good vibe. Two thumbs up!
Favorite Dish: The Mj's Reuben was the best I've had. It's a little different from your ordinary reuben as they use grain mustard instead of thousand island and multigrain bread instead of rye, but I think it made it all the better. The bread was thick, fresh, and flavorful...thought it might be homemade? It was served with a bacon ranch pasta salad which was also delicious. We actually took some to go for grilling out on the beach later that day as they sell fresh salads and deli meats and cheese by the pound.
Here is a list of some of my...
Here is a list of some of my favorite places to visit while there:
1. Duck – The Sanderling Inn: Very upscale resort/restaurant
2. Kitty Hawk – John’s: A little shack of a place that serves the best fresh milk shakes!
3. Kill Devil Hills – Awful Authur’s: The original restaurant/bar burned down. The new restaurant is much bigger and has lost some of the “intimate” feel to it.
4. Nags Head - Kelly’s Tavern: Lot’s of nice dark corners, fresh seafood. During winter, it’s just about the only nightlife in town.
5. Nags Head – Penguin Isle: Upscale restaurant, great food!
6. Hatteras Island – Austin Creek Grill: The location assures the best seafood! It is located right on the dock of Hatteras Landing Marina, so it gets some beautiful views of the famous sound sunsets. Food is good, if a little over priced.
This is a picture of the Bodie Island Lighthouse, pronounced Body. The Outter Banks has a long history with lighthouses and ships, it is known as the Graveyard of the Atlantic.
Favorite Dish: Fresh Seafood!
The Dancing Turtle Coffee Shop: Good coffee in the morning!
Great coffe shop and good prices, fresh coffee, fast/friendly service, what more can you say, it was perfect. Got us on our way with java in no time!
- Budget Travel