Hatteras Island Restaurants

by PA2AKgirl

Most Recent Restaurants in Hatteras Island

• Bill's Fish House: Hatteras Restaurant Tip

by PA2NCGuy Written Oct 15, 2006

Believe it or not when you are on the Outer Banks on Hatteras Island it's sometimes hard to find good local seafood in a restaurant. You can get disappointed and at times find yourself at the beach staring at a plate full of TV dinner fish sticks. Bill's Fish House in Buxton, NC may not be fancy with their plastic tableware but it has the best local real fresh fish and shellfish. It's frequented by the locals and I picked up on that fact and found out the reason was the food quality. It's the real thing. You can also get a fishing report indirectly seeing what they are serving. Try the fried fish sandwich and the steamed clams.

Favorite Dish: Ask them what Jack Douglas Mitchell, the famous outdoor writer and his wonderful wife Miss Ruby had the last time they were in here when they lived in Buxton Woods. I would have that or the fish sandwich and the clams or the crabcake sandwich. (We miss Jack and Ruby.) I've tried many places over the 30 years I have visited the Outer Banks and keep pulling in to Bill's Fish House for the consistantly fine local seafood I know is genuine.

• Fishing

The Ships Wheel: Mmm...Breakfast

by PA2AKgirl Updated Mar 2, 2004

The last 2 times I went down to the outer banks, I looked for this place. Granted, it was during the off season, but I couldn't find where it was even located. Turns out I drove right by it about a million times and STILL overlooked it. That mistake will not be made in the future, if I'm there in the summer. We only at there 2 times, but I recall it being wonderful and also a great deal. They only serve breakfast and are open from 6am till noon, but if you can get yourself together during those hours, I recommend stopping by. Even if breakfast isn't your favorite thing, they have a special from 6-8 w/ eggs and toast for 99 cents. Add some coffee and you have meal for $2.00 at a real restaurant.
    And they claim to have the world's largest pancakes, you have to go just to disprove this statement...I can't remember if I was that much of a smart ass that early in the morning or not.

Favorite Dish: It's not healthy at all, but I LOVE sausage gravy w/ biscuits (when it's good gravy)...something I acquired a taste for after living in Alabama for a few years. It comes w/ potatoes or grits (something I did NOT develop a taste for after living in Mobile for a few years) for like $3.50 or something. I also like it when they have cute or stupid names for specials at restaurants...just want to hear people say "yes, I'll have the ship's mast, please, over easy, potatoes, wheat with jelly."
    OH! They also have a crab omelet that my brother in law got...he loved it--comes w/ a ton of stuff.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Mama Kwans Tiki Bar: Everything I like:)

by PA2AKgirl Updated Jan 28, 2004

Restaurant Logo

Mmm...I love this place! The food is...Hawaiian/ Pacific Rim/Pan Asian but it's really the decor and atmosphere that I love about it. However, be warned...the more you drink here, the more you are convinced you need a tiki cup for your drink...you get to keep it, but it's like $9.00 or something. I go for the cheap drinks, usually:) The drinks are pretty good, though and have fun names!

They also have live music in the summers and they are a tiki bar, so there's a lot of people hanging out! Tiki Bars rock.

Favorite Dish: Last time I got the pan seared Ahi Tuna, which is of course, rare inside. I loved it. But to accomodate everyone, they WILL cook it as well as you want it. that's just an appetizer, by the way, so I also got a side of Kim Chee. Mmmm...Kim Chee. It was excellent (VERY spicy, like it should be)

They do have burgers and chicken and things like that, though.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Dirty Dicks: get over the name

by PA2AKgirl Updated Jan 28, 2004

It's definitely a touristy spot--some people are attracted to the name, some find it vulgar. But either way, they have great crab dishes with a cajun flare. This place was named "best of the beach" for the past couple years.

If you've ever been to a Joe's Crab Shack, it's that sort of theme...

Favorite Dish: I should just do a quick run down of the menu, which I don't have memorized, I am just taking from the website!

A lot of this stuff I have just tasted, but the people I've gone w/ loved it:

The Creole Crab Salad--black fin and blue crab
    The lobster bisque, the okra and shrimp gumbo, Louisiana crab dip and crab balls...

Entrees:
    Jumbo Lump Crab, Shrimp & Mushroom Au Gratin
    Crab melt and regular crab cake sandwiches are the most popular things there.
    Shrimp Etouffee (I LOVE good etouffee!) and they even have fried green tomatoes--anyplace that has those, I'm gonna promote!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

The Fish House Restaurant: Not Open in December

by grandmaR Written May 6, 2005

Restaurant

We wanted to stop for lunch in Buxton, but none of the restaurants were open. This one had someone there, but they refused to even talk to us.

• Beaches
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Hatteras Island

Comments

Hatteras Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hatteras Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hatteras Island sightseeing.

View all Hatteras Island hotels