Henderson Travel Guide

Hicks Monument with no markers around it
    Smoke Detector in Sleep Inn
    NC Route 96

Henderson Hotels

• Sleep Inn Henderson

I'm beginning to book a Sleep Inn if I want reasonable but inexpensive accommodations. They have...

• Hampton Inn Henderson

I normally try to stay at a Hampton Inn as I find them comfortable and they have good internet and...

• Jameson Inn Henderson

200 Simmons Dr, Henderson, NC 27536

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Business

• Comfort Inn Henderson

My family and I stayed here over the weekend and we loved this hotel. Rooms were large and bathroom...

• Budget Host Inn Henderson

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Couples

Henderson Restaurants

by grandmaR Updated Feb 17, 2012

The girl at the Sleep Inn said there was a Mayflower Restaurant nearby, but we couldn't find it. We finally had dinner at the Western Sizzlin for $19.50. Bob left a $4.00 tip, which I thought was a bit much, although the girl did bring us extra lemonade.

Favorite Dish: I had the 8-10 oz. steak which came with salad, potato, bread and dessert - it was the $9.99 special. Bob had a smaller steak. We could also have had JUST the buffet for $7.79 each.

My $9.99 rib eye steak The non-leafy vegetable salad bar Bread and pizza from the bread bar Entrees Dessert bar
    • Seniors

by grandmaR Written Feb 17, 2012

Favorite Dish: I had the steak special (8 oz ribeye with a side of spaghetti) and Bob had ravioli. The dinner for two (no drinks, no dessert) was $23.06

Restaurant from parking lot Specials board Bob's ravioli Window Steak special
    • Seniors

by grandmaR Updated Feb 17, 2012

We ate here one night when The Silo had just opened after having been renovated. Apparently, this is under Ribeyes now. The place was rustic with ancient beams and antiquated construction.
    They serve lunch from 11:00 to 2:30 pm. and dinner after 4:00 pm

Favorite Dish: I don't remember and didn't write down what we ate.

Porch Salad Bar My dinner Specials menu Bob's dinner

Henderson Favorites

by grandmaR Updated Feb 17, 2012

Favorite thing: My ancestors grew tobacco and started a tobacco warehouse business. Tobacco was one of the principal businesses of Henderson.

According to the town website

Realizing the need to preserve and restore its wonderful history, the City of Henderson sought designation as a North Carolina Main Street City and gained that status in 1986. Composing 16 square blocks and occupying approximately 46 acres, Henderson’s Central Business Historic District is a testimony to the city’s role as the largest town and seat of Vance County since 1881. This district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The district contains 128 structures, 97 of which are contributing structures. Architectural detailing gives the district a remarkable turn-of-the-century appearance.

Fondest memory: So you can drive down the main street and feel a little like you are in a turn of the century NC town

A postcard from my mother about 1915 A later postcard showing the main street Garnett Street 2008 Henderson downtown main street in Henderson

by grandmaR Updated Feb 17, 2012

Favorite thing: Henderson is the county seat of Vance County in north-central North Carolina. The city features a busy main street area around Garnett Avenue with various distinct residential neighborhoods, and is known for its historical fire station clock tower. United First Methodist Church steeple can be seen nearby.

The fire station located at 205 North Garnett Street was built in 1908. This structure is in use but is under going some renovations. The clock in the tower is still operable and chimes every hour. The apparatus floor still has cracks in the floor, where the horses were housed and their urine was able to drain away. The side door on Young Street still has rounded granite corners, so if the hubs of the horse wagon hit them going out of the door they would not get stuck. The inside of the clock tower still has hooks, which the fire hose was pulled up to the top for drying. Of course the shiny brass slide pole still stands.

Fire Station Clock Tower Main Street of Henderson Old post card of Fire Station Clock Tower Church and clocktower from a parking lot On the main street looking toward fire station

by grandmaR Updated Feb 10, 2012

Favorite thing: My mom was born in Henderson. Her mom (my grandmother) had come 'north' with her sister to attend Western Maryland College, and met a Yankee from Pennsylvania. My grandmother traveled south to see her parents several times each year, so my mom grew up half in Pennsylvania and half in North Carolina.

My mom was named Rosalie for her Henderson grandmother (my great great grandmother). So when I was born, she named me after my two great great grandmothers.

Fondest memory: We always visited all the relatives when we went to Henderson. I never knew my great great grandmother Rosalie at an age when I could remember her, but she had nine children, and I met seven of them (not counting my grandmother) as a child. Two of my grandmother's siblings lived in Maryland, one lived in Pennsylvania with my grandmother, one was in Wisconsin, and one in Greensboro but there were still two - a great aunt and a great uncle and his wife, plus and cousins and kissin' cousins to socialize with in Henderson.

My great great grandmother Rosalie My grandmother A later picture of my great grandmother Rosalie Great Grandfather Great grandmother

Instant Answers: Henderson

Comments

Henderson Travel Guide
Map of Henderson