Hickory Off The Beaten Path

• Off The Beaten Path
    by LoriPori
    Mural on side of an old building
  • Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Hickory

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CATAWBA NC

by LoriPori Updated Nov 14, 2010

Welcome Catawba North Carolina

A small town in the heart of the beautiful Catawba Valley in the western Piedmont of North Carolina CATAWBA is one of only two municipalities in Catawba County that borders the Catawba River. The town is located on Old Highway 70, approximately 20 minutes drive from Hickory and one hour from Charlotte.
    We drove through Catawba as I wanted to find a Mill that I saw in the Hickory area attractions booklet. We saw a brown sign pointing to the Mill, but alas did not find it. It was a cute town with lots of old buildings. I put it in "Off the Beaten Path" as it is on the old Highway 70 that runs along the I-40.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BUNKER HILL COVERED BRIDGE

by LoriPori Updated Nov 9, 2010

Heading west on the I-40, Hans and I thought we would get off and go on to Old US Highway 70 to check out the BUNKER HILL COVERED BRIDGE near Claremont.
    At first we passed the sign, but turned around and then parked where the sign was.
    We followed the arrows along the dirt path, which eventually led to the Bridge - this really is "Off the Beaten Path".
    The Bridge was built in 1894 and is one of the last surviving covered bridges in North Carolina. It crosses over Lyles Creek.
    A sign near the Bridge reads:
    "The name Bunker Hill comes from the local Bunker Hill Farm operted by the descendents of the Shuford and Lowrance families, since the early 1800's. The Bridge is also near the site of an early Post Office of the same name."

Another sign reads"
    The Bridge is made of oak with trunnels (wooden pins) instead of nails. The roof was originally covered with wooden shingles. It was replaced with tin in 1921. A major restoration in 1994 has stabilized the structure."

The Bridge is the only remaining example of a 19th century bridge utilizing the General Herman Haupt truss design.

Open Dawn to Dusk

Instant Answers: Hickory

Comments

Hickory Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Hickory off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hickory sightseeing.