Hobucken Travel Guide

  • Shrimp Boat in Hobucken
    Shrimp Boat in Hobucken
    by grandmaR
    by grandmaR
  • Looking back to Hobucken
    Looking back to Hobucken
    by grandmaR

Hobucken Off The Beaten Path

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Hobucken marshes/Gum Swamp

    by grandmaR Written Jan 18, 2004

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Size: 39,230 acres
    The Hobucken Swamp-Gum Swamp site is located on the western side of Pamlico Sound, near the town of Hobucken. It consists of a diverse array of habitat types including longleaf pine forest, pond pine flatwoods, cypress ponds, saltmarsh (black needlerush and Spartina), brackish water impoundments, and non-riverine hardwood swamps. Approximately half of the site is part of the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) Game Lands Program, which provides wildlife habitat and public recreational opportunities. .

    Habitats: coniferous forests, deciduous forests, impoundments, brackish marsh

    The topography is fairly lever (0-2% slope) with the higher elevations comprised of sandier loams dominated by longleaf and loblolly pines. In the surrounding lower elevation areas where the soils contain more organics pond pines dominate the plant communities. The higher elevated loams being dominated by mostly water and willow oaks while red maple and black gum dominate in those areas which have a high water table.

    There are areas that are approximately 75% open water with the remaining 25% comprised of various emergents including black needle rush, Spartina, phragmites, bacopa, spikerush and aquatics such as wigeongrass and muskgrass. The main Plant species found in the marsh were black needlerush, Spartina, grounsel bush, wax myrtle and glasswort.

    Land Use: wildlife conservation, recreation, hunting, forestry

    Conservation Issues: Invading plants especially Phragmites are a serious threat to the impoundments and marsh as they out compete other native plant species that provide important food and shelter benefits to waterfowl and other shorebirds.

    The site is a key area for migrating and wintering waterfowl

    American Wigeon FM, W 1,000-2,000
    Northern Pintail FM, W 1,760
    Scaup (spp) FM, W 1,370
    Gadwall FM, W 1,260
    American Coot FM, W 2,000-5,000
    Black Duck FM, W 225
    Blue-winged Teal FM 500-3,500

    B=Breeding FM=Fall Migration SM=Spring Migration W=Winter

    Related to:
    • Kayaking
    • Birdwatching
    • Fishing

    Was this review helpful?

Hobucken Sports & Outdoors

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    Kayak Around Goose Island

    by grandmaR Updated Feb 24, 2010

    There are a number of kayaking opportunities, especially (because of the open water involved) for experienced and/or expert kayakers.

    Equipment: One of the Kayak Trails is

    LN-PA-16 Jones Bay Loop Kayak Trail, 13 Miles
    Skill Level: Experienced Difficulty: Moderate/Difficult Time Required: 6-10 Hours
    This trail offers an opportunity for experienced kayakers to circumnavigate Jones Island. Other than the published access site there are no public lands or additional access sites along this trail as all of Jones Island is privately owned. The eastern side of Jones Island is exposed to the Pamlico Sound where the paddler should exercise caution for rough waters.

    Access Name
    1) Boat Ramp on SR 1240 (Mayo Road)

    Kayak routes
    Related to:
    • Beaches
    • Kayaking
    • Eco-Tourism

    Was this review helpful?

  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

    MM 157.3 R. E. Mayo Docks

    by grandmaR Updated Jan 22, 2004

    These docks are very low cost - they charge 20 cents a foot, plus 10 cents a foot for electricity. There are no heads or showers and it is primarily a shrimp boat dock and pleasure boats are definitely a sideline..

    Fresh seafood can sometimes be bought here, and fuel is usually available. There is a small variety store behind the fuel dock which carries snacks and basic food items.

    Bob is reluctant to stay here after our experience with a shrimp boat in McClellansville SC. Plus he'd like to get to Oriental.

    R.E. Mayo's fixed docks
    Related to:
    • Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Hobucken Hotels

    0 Hotels in Hobucken

Instant Answers: Hobucken

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

26 travelers online now


Hobucken Travel Guide

View all Hobucken hotels

Map of Hobucken