the remains of the CSS neuse is located on the neuse river just west of downtown kinston. the CSS neuse was a confederate iron clad war ship built in 1863. the CSS neuse patrolled the neuse river until 1865. the CSS neuse was scuttled by the confederates just prior to union general william t. sherman's occupation of kinston. today the remains of the neuse and a replica of the ship are on display at the neuse historic park. the remains of the neuse is listed on the national register of historic places.
the neuse historic park is home to the remains of the CSS neuse and the richard caswell memorial. the park has a beautiful location on the neuse river. the park offers picnic areas and fishing. a great place to visit in the kinston area for those interested in history and nature.
picture number two is a section of an old highway overpass that is now used as a picnic shelter.
the queen street united methodist church was established by bishop francis asbury in 1785. the current church was built in 1911. the queen street united methodist church is one of scores of historic and architectually significant buildings in downtown kinston.
in december 1862 the forces of union general john foster left his base in new bern to attack the wilminton and weldon railroad in goldsbourgh. on his way toward goldsbourgh he met the forces of confederate general nathan evans in kinston. evans tried to stall the union advance but his forces were greatly outnumbered and he was forced to withdrawl to goldsborough. pictured is a replica of harriet's chapel which was located in the center of the battle.
the caswell memorial is located at the CSS neuse historic park. richard caswell moved to lenoir county in 1754. caswell was a member of the colonial assembly and established the town of kingston (kinston) in 1762. in 1774 caswell was elected to the continental congress. caswell commanded patriot forces in the battle of moores creek bridge in 1776. caswell was the first governor of the state of north carolina.
the historic caswell # 1 fire station was built in 1895 and is the oldest remaining municipal building in kinston. today it is home to the kinston fire station museum. the museum has an interesting collection of antique fire fighting equipment and exhibits on the history of fire fighting in kinston. admission is free.
harmony hall was built in 1772 and is the oldest building in kinston. harmony hall was once home to james glasgow the secretary of state during the american revolution. later harmony hall was home to richard caswell the first governor of the state of north carolina. during the civil war harmony hall was a confederate hospital. today harmony hall is a museum owned by the lenior county historical society. for those interested in american history and architecture harmony hall is worth a visit when in kinston.
the lenoir county courthouse was built in 1925. this interesting stripped classical building was designed by architects loving, mitchell, and wooten. the lenoir county courthouse is listed on the national register of historic places. for those interested in architecture the lenoir county courthouse is worth a look in downtown kinston.
a good first stop on a visit to kinston is the kinston visitor center. here you can get information on hotels, restaurants, and kinston's historic attractions.