Lexington Travel Guide

Lexington Things to Do

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Old Davidson County Courthouse

by Basaic Updated Jul 19, 2012

Lexington is a decent sized town of about 19,000 near the center of the state. It is at the intersection of several highways including Interstate 85 and the future Interstate 285. Lexington was settled around 1775 , although it was not incorporated until 1828. It was named for Lexington, Massachusetts the site of the first battle of the Revolutionary War. Lexington is becoming a bedroom community for nearby Winston-Salem. Davidson County was formed in 1822 and was named for William Lee Davidson a Revolutionary War General. Pictured here is the old courthouse, which to me was much more interestin than the new one.

• Architecture

Lexington Hotels

Lexington Restaurants

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    You can miss it, but try not to.

by etfromnc Written Aug 19, 2013

AKA in North Carolina's Central Piedmont region as Pure heaven, the Nirvana of pigmeat, the apotheosis of pork, and Honey Monk's after Wayne "Honey" Monk, the originator of Lexington Barbecue #1. BTW, I first ate here during my days as an undergrad at Duke University when I was so poor that if I wanted to visit my family during college semesters, I had to hitchhike home and I do not recall what it was called back then except a great place for a lunch break on the way home.
    I have also been unable to find Lexington Barbecue #2, so I have concluded that, once you eat here, everything else is #2.

Favorite Dish: The tastiest, tenderest, and best barbecue you can imagine. There's usually a line of locals and pilgrims going out the door, but the wait is worth it. Try it sliced, chopped, coarse chopped, or outside chopped--my favorite. They also make a really weird "barbecue slaw," which is brown and tangy and very popular with the locals but I prefer the more typically Western North Carolina style mayonnaise based slaw. The side dishes are good but not really up to the standard of their "cue No other shack in the state can cook a pig like Lexington Barbecue #1. The sooner you go, the happier you'll be.

Instant Answers: Lexington

Comments

Lexington Travel Guide
Map of Lexington